[SOLVED] Linux iso maker

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Keith2021
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Linux iso maker

Post by Keith2021 »

I make my bootable USB disks using a window computer and Rufus , which works great, but I have my Linux Mint computer setup now and wanted to be able to use it to make the USB drives bootable. I know Rufus will not run on Linux and I needed to know what program you like best and have installed on yours or do you just use a window computer? What program do you use to make your ISO files if you don't have windows? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux mint 20.2-Mate, Linux Mint 21-Cinnamon, Zorin 16 Pro
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Linux iso maker

Post by motoryzen »

"usb image writer" if you're talking about making an iso bootable . As far as actually making iso's ( meaning operating systems)... I don't think most computer users know how to create operating systems yet.

Anyways that quoted program I use never fails for me.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

I personally use MultiSystem. This way I can host multiple OS and recovery tools on one USB drive. Currently I have about 15 I can select to boot from on my 64GB USB stick.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
teepeeaye
Level 1
Level 1

Post by teepeeaye »

On LM 18 mate in accessories there is a USB image writer. You can also use it from the command line (mintstick) which might be convenient. If you want to modify the contents of an ISO you can mount it onto a folder. If you want to make an ISO9660 filesystem from scratch use mkisofs on a device you create as a file using dd. It all works quite well. Most of these basic tasks can be done with the basic system and filesystem tools.
londoner
Level 2
Level 2

Post by londoner »

The USB Image Writer in Mint is great for single ISOs and simple to use.
Also consider Ventoy https://ventoy.net .You can put multiple ISOs on the same USB, just by copying them onto the drive, and deleting them when no longer required. The only limiting factor is the size of the USB. You can also continue to use the USB to store non-ISO files as if it was a regular USB stick.
The menu that shows the list of ISO files when you boot from a Ventoy USB is also themeable.
And the latest version 1.0.52 now has a graphical installer for Linux.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

I have been using Ventoy for some time now. I use a 16gig stick and I have about 10 bootable images on it.
What makes Ventoy so cool is that you prepare the USB stick first - Lets say your usb stick is /dev/sdd1

ventoy -i /dev/sdd1

After that one command line all you have to do is drag and drop your *.iso's into the stick and thats it. They are automatically recognized and can boot from them.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
sanmig
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sanmig »

(Sorry OT) Take care:
Typo, Ventoy must be installed onto a drive, not a partition, to make the drive bootable.
“/dev/sdd1” is a partition on the drive “/dev/sdd”,
but “sdd” may be the wrong drive for some users …
Better to write “sdX” (replace X by the appropriate letter e.g. taken from Disks).

The Terminal command would be sudo Ventoy2Disk.sh -i -r 1000 /dev/sdX
(the “-r 1000” preserves 1000MB on the drive for an extra partition)

For the GUI, type e.g. sudo VentoyGUI.x86_64
(Gtk may complain, no probs)
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

sanmig wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:21 am (Sorry OT) Take care:
Typo, Ventoy must be installed onto a drive, not a partition, to make the drive bootable.
“/dev/sdd1” is a partition on the drive “/dev/sdd”,
but “sdd” may be the wrong drive for some users …
Better to write “sdX” (replace X by the appropriate letter e.g. taken from Disks).

The Terminal command would be sudo Ventoy2Disk.sh -i -r 1000 /dev/sdX
(the “-r 1000” preserves 1000MB on the drive for an extra partition)

For the GUI, type e.g. sudo VentoyGUI.x86_64
(Gtk may complain, no probs)
Thankyou for the correction :)
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Keith2021
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Keith2021 »

Wow, I didn't think I would get this many replies.
I have been playing with the program and went into accessories and slowly scrolled down and at the end there was two programs one was formatting a USB stick and one was making a bootable USB stick. I tried it out using an iso file and it make the USB stick bootable. so this is [SOLVED] as I see it.
Thanks for all the replies and I am checking them out now.

Linux Mint 19.2 xfca Trica on a Acer Aspire One.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Keith2021 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:14 pm Wow, I didn't think I would get this many replies.
I have been playing with the program and went into accessories and slowly scrolled down and at the end there was two programs one was formatting a USB stick and one was making a bootable USB stick. I tried it out using an iso file and it make the USB stick bootable. so this is [SOLVED] as I see it.

I for one am glad you got things worked out. :)

Shameless plug: Try Ventoy
Keith2021
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Keith2021 »

coffee412 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:25 pm
Keith2021 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:14 pm Wow, I didn't think I would get this many replies.

I for one am glad you got things worked out. :)

Shameless plug: Try Ventoy
I tried the Ventoy, it looks like something I could use. I downloaded it, unzipped the files, started the program and install a 8gb drive and started the program, it got to 98% stopped and an error window came up saying an error has occurred, the drive letter disappeared and now I can't find it, I can keep running the program but it keeps stopping at 98%. I tried to remove the program off the drive but it won't. I can't even format it. Any ideas?
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

I tried the Ventoy, it looks like something I could use. I downloaded it, unzipped the files, started the program and install a 8gb drive and started the program, it got to 98% stopped and an error window came up saying an error has occurred, the drive letter disappeared and now I can't find it, I can keep running the program but it keeps stopping at 98%. I tried to remove the program off the drive but it won't. I can't even format it. Any ideas?
Seriously? Or are you pulling my leg??

What size mem stick you using and what command line did you use?

Fire up fdisk and post the output of this:

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l /dev/sd*
* = your mem stick device name

Layout of my memstick (64 gig).
ventoy-disks.png
Notice its using exfat partition.
Keith2021
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] Linux iso maker

Post by Keith2021 »

I got it fixed but what I had to do was run another stick and was able to install it, then I installed the original stick and uninstall it three times, then moved it to another USB port, updated first and then run the install again and it finally installed. Now I have bmy stick back, I thought it was a goner. thanks for telling me about the program, it is going to save time. Forgot [SOLVED] Ventoy is cool.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Keith2021 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:44 pm I got it fixed but what I had to do was run another stick and was able to install it, then I installed the original stick and uninstall it three times, then moved it to another USB port, updated first and then run the install again and it finally installed. Now I have bmy stick back, I thought it was a goner. thanks for telling me about the program, it is going to save time. Forgot [SOLVED] Ventoy is cool.
lol...

I was going to reply: "Im sorry, All our Technicians are busy right now. Your call is important to us...."
lol..

Glad it worked finally for you. I use it all the time and all I have to do is drag and drop *.iso's to the stick and then I can boot from them. Pretty darn easy. :)

Have a good one.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

coffee412 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:51 pm ...Your call is important to us..."
One of the biggest lies I ever heard (forum rules regarding politics won't let me post the real whoppers).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:25 pm
One of the biggest lies I ever heard (forum rules regarding politics won't let me post the real whoppers).
Unless you happen to read the Newspapers. ;)
However, Such things probably should be restricted to PM's
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

coffee412 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:13 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:25 pm
Unless you happen to read the Newspapers. ;)
However, Such things probably should be restricted to PM's
You know how to tell when a politician is lying? His/her lips are moving.

Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently...both for the same reason.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

You know how to tell when a politician is lying? His/her lips are moving.

Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently...both for the same reason.
Believe me, I get you. Its pretty bad. :(

Have a great one. I think its time to bail on this thread. However, This can continue in a PM if you wish.

Return to “Software & Applications”