Requirements for gnome network displays?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pixel24
Level 3
Level 3

Requirements for gnome network displays?

Post by pixel24 »

Hi@all,

I came across "gnome network displays" on the web. Does anyone have experience with it? Can I use it to bring my desktop wirelessly to my TV? Or do I need additional hardware?

I use LM 20.2 Cinnamon and have a Samsung UE60F7090.

with best
pixel24
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Requirements for gnome network displays?

Post by mikeflan »

It appears to be experimental. I say give it a go and tell us if it worked for you.
Qapla
Level 2
Level 2
Location: San Francisco, 6,437 meters SouthEast of the future home of Starfleet Academy

Post by Qapla »

pixel24 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:23 am wrote:Can I use it to bring my desktop wirelessly to my TV? Or do I need additional hardware?
Yes to the first, and no to the second.

I tried this a few months ago using a Lenovo T450s laptop and a LG 55E8PUA tv. Got it to work, but gave up using it because the wireless connection between them was too choppy for a 1920x1080 video.

Note! gnome-network-displays requires PipeWire version 0.3.8 or higher on the host. Mint 20.2 (built on Ubuntu 20.04) does not have the right level of PipeWire in the repository - you have to compile from source ... which I found very involved for a first-time compile. Ubuntu 20.10 and above have the right level, but Mint won't be built on that until Mint 21, sometime in 2022.

On the other paw, I see there is is now a ppa for a current PipeWire, just updated two days ago on 9/16/2021 ! It installed nicely for me in a test VM and gnome-network-displays seems to start okay but I didn't try the tv.

Give it a try and let us know: https://launchpad.net/~pipewire-debian/ ... e-upstream
Qapla' - Success! (Klingon salutation on departure to battle)
pixel24
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pixel24 »

Thank you. I will try the PPA at the weekend.

What requirements does the TV have to meet or what function must be available here?

Return to “Software & Applications”