App Icons [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marcellot
Level 1
Level 1

App Icons [SOLVED]

Post by marcellot »

How can I configure that the original program icons are displayed in the cinnamon interface? (eg. Firefox)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: App Icons

Post by lsemmens »

What are you trying to achieve? Your question makes no sense.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
initrd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by initrd »

lsemmens wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:06 am What are you trying to achieve? Your question makes no sense.
I am assuming he wants the native application Icons to be displayed instead of being overwritten by the Icon theme(s) he uses.
vanadium
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vanadium »

You could copy the original icons to your .local/share/icons folder. That way, they will take precedence over the icons supplied by your icon theme.
marcellot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marcellot »

initrd wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:11 am
lsemmens wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:06 am What are you trying to achieve? Your question makes no sense.
I am assuming he wants the native application Icons to be displayed instead of being overwritten by the Icon theme(s) he uses.
exactly, thats what I want!
marcellot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marcellot »

vanadium wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:49 am You could copy the original icons to your .local/share/icons folder. That way, they will take precedence over the icons supplied by your icon theme.
not exactly a workable approach for a beginner :?
marcellot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marcellot »

Why shouldn't that make sense? I find it much easier to work when the application icons correspond to the original icons. You recognise them immediately!
vanadium
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vanadium »

marcellot wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:53 am not exactly a workable approach for a beginner :?
Then let it to the the distro developers to design your system. Besides, copying is not *that* hightech. Actually, try this:

Code: Select all

mkdir -p ~/.local/share/icons/hicolor/scalable
ln -s /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps ~/.local/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/
and let us know how it works (you may need to log out then back in for this to work). This does not actually copy, but creates a symbolic link to the original icons. So if anything changes there, it will also be updated in your local folder that is looked up first for icons.

If it does not work, just delete the "hicolor" folder in ~/.local/share/icons to undo.

You can also change away from the icon theme that comes with Mint, but that would affect the whole look of the system.

You could also file an issue with the developers of Mint to stop overriding application icons. Some application developers will thank you for that.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

marcellot wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:53 am not exactly a workable approach for a beginner :?
What problem are you running into when trying this from your file manager? Copying and pasting files, using the file manager, is something that most beginners are capable of. I would say it's a normal skill for a normal user to have.

If the problem is that your .local/share/icons directory ( = folder) is not visible in your file manager:
- hit Ctrl+h on your keyboard to show hidden files.
If the problem is that you do not have permission to write to .local/share/icons because it is not in your home (user space):
- rightclick on an empty area and choose "Open as Root". You will be prompted for your password, and the directory will open inside a new file manager window with elevated priveleges. Then you can paste there as normal.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”