Most of my processes are "sleeping". Is this normal?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alinuxg
Level 1
Level 1

Most of my processes are "sleeping". Is this normal?

Post by alinuxg »

I have just uograded from Linux Mint 20.1 to 20.2. When I checked the processes with my System Monitor I found about 9 0ut of 10 processes were in sleeping mode. Is this normal?

Thanks for any responses.

Alinuxg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Most of my processes are "sleeping". Is this normal?

Post by rene »

The only sense in which it's not normal is that it would if you displayed any and all processes generally be 99 out of a 100. As in, yes, sure, and this would've been no different on 20.1.
alinuxg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alinuxg »

Hi Rene

Great - glad to see it is normal.

Thanks very much!
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

Which kernel ?
With 20.1 I see that after working on my internet browsers for a long time when I want to use a Libre Office Calc opened sheet it takes a very long time to have it to respond
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Menard wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:56 am Which kernel ? With 20.1 I see that after working on my internet browsers for a long time when I want to use a Libre Office Calc opened sheet it takes a very long time to have it to respond
That's not related to process state though; you have in your case undoubtedly simply swapped out LibreOffice Calc while letting your browser(s) gobble up all free memory. It's also unrelated to kernel: if you have different behaviour on 20.1 than on <something else> you will likely be experiencing a memory leak on 20.1; some process / browser growing too large.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Before you open calc the next time open the System Monitor/Resources and
monitor the ram and swap usage as you open calc
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

rene wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:22 pm
That's not related to process state though; you have in your case undoubtedly simply swapped out LibreOffice Calc while letting your browser(s) gobble up all free memory. It's also unrelated to kernel: if you have different behaviour on 20.1 than on <something else> you will likely be experiencing a memory leak on 20.1; some process / browser growing too large.
I think I ve had this with 20.0 too, but not previously with 19.3, never, even not a beginning of this
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I've noticed some (cinnamon-, I believe) memory leak reports here on the forum with 20.x; 20.0 certainly and if I'm not mistaken, none with 20.2. I'll admit I'm not in fact even sure whether or not on Mint Cinnamon updates to the same version on 20 or 20.1 as it would on 20.2; would expect so but certainly if not, upgrading to 20.2 might be good.

FWIW, I on 20.2 show

Code: Select all

rene@p55m:~$ dpkg -l "*cinnamon*"
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                               Version      Architecture Description
+++-==================================-============-============-==========================================================================
ii  cinnamon                           5.0.5+uma    amd64        Modern Linux desktop
un  cinnamon-capplets-data             <none>       <none>       (no description available)
ii  cinnamon-common                    5.0.5+uma    all          Cinnamon desktop (Common data files)
ii  cinnamon-control-center            5.0.2+uma    amd64        utilities to configure the Cinnamon desktop
ii  cinnamon-control-center-data       5.0.2+uma    all          configuration applets for Cinnamon - data files
ii  cinnamon-control-center-dbg        5.0.2+uma    amd64        utilities to configure the Cinnamon desktop - debug symbols
ii  cinnamon-dbg                       5.0.5+uma    amd64        Debugging symbols for the Cinnamon desktop
ii  cinnamon-desktop-data              5.0.0+uma    all          Common files for Cinnamon desktop apps
un  cinnamon-doc                       <none>       <none>       (no description available)
ii  cinnamon-l10n                      5.0.2        all          Translation files for the Cinnamon desktop
ii  cinnamon-screensaver               5.0.6+uma    amd64        Cinnamon screen saver and locker
un  cinnamon-screensaver-pam-helper    <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  cinnamon-screensaver-webkit-plugin <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  cinnamon-screensaver-x-plugin      <none>       <none>       (no description available)
ii  cinnamon-session                   5.0.1+uma    amd64        Cinnamon Session Manager - Minimal runtime
ii  cinnamon-session-common            5.0.1+uma    all          Cinnamon Session Manager - common files
ii  cinnamon-settings-daemon           5.0.4+uma    amd64        daemon handling the Cinnamon session settings
un  cinnamon-themes                    <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  cinnamon-translations              <none>       <none>       (no description available)
ii  gir1.2-cinnamondesktop-3.0         5.0.0+uma    amd64        Introspection data for CinnamonDesktop
ii  libcinnamon-control-center1:amd64  5.0.2+uma    amd64        utilities to configure the Cinnamon desktop
ii  libcinnamon-desktop-dbg:amd64      5.0.0+uma    amd64        Cinnamon shared utility library - debugging symbols
ii  libcinnamon-desktop4:amd64         5.0.0+uma    amd64        Cinnamon shared utility library.
ii  libcinnamon-menu-3-0               5.0.0+uma    amd64        Cinnamon implementation of the freedesktop menu specification
ii  libcinnamon-menu-3-0-dbg           5.0.0+uma    amd64        Cinnamon implementation of the freedesktop menu specification
un  mint-artwork-cinnamon              <none>       <none>       (no description available)
un  mint-artwork-debian-cinnamon       <none>       <none>       (no description available)
ii  mint-info-cinnamon                 2021.05.25   all          Necessary information about the Linux Mint release and edition.
ii  mint-meta-cinnamon                 2021.05.25   all          Set of packages installed by default in the Cinnamon edition of Linux Mint
un  mint-meta-cinnamon-dvd             <none>       <none>       (no description available)
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

OK, thank you
--

Return to “Software & Applications”