Linux mint HiDpi Scaling with gsettings?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shanghaiisnotanet
Level 1
Level 1

Linux mint HiDpi Scaling with gsettings?

Post by shanghaiisnotanet »

I am currently running linux mint on my high-dpi screen ("double" scaling), within vmware workstation. It runs well, but whenever I restart the virtual machine the scaling settings are reset, and everything looks tiny on my screen. I've found a solution that works with ubuntu and gnome: use the terminal to use gsettings to change the scale factor. However, I'm not sure what the equivalent scaling setting is in gsettings within the cinnamon desktop.

So, I guess my question is: how can I use gsettings within cinnamon to set the UI scale?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pixel24
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux mint HiDpi Scaling with gsettings?

Post by pixel24 »

I'm afraid I can't offer you a solution.

Since I also use LM 20.2 on a HiDPI display and this problem does not occur here, I would look for the problem with the virtualiser or its virtual graphics hardware.

But that is only a guess.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Strange that you can't save the Hi-DPI setting with vmware workstation. For comparison, here are the observations with VirtualBox:
Saving the Hi-DPI 200% mode works with all Mint desktops, but with differences (except LMDE, all Mint 20.2 Uma)
  • Cinnamon and LMDE 4 can boot directly into VB fullscreen mode and work stable (3000 x 2000 pixel > Workspace 1500 x 1000).
  • MATE and Xfce become unusable when switched to fullscreen mode, e.g. quad splitting of the background image, panel confusion etc. With VB toolbar and host taskbar displayed, both work fine (3000 x 1790 pixel recognized)
  • Display quality is generally good, though clearly best in Cinnamon, which is also the easiest to set to Hi-DPI (just Settings > Display > Apply > Save). Xfce has a somewhat blurry icon display.
shanghaiisnotanet
Level 1
Level 1

I've installed Linux mint (and ubuntu) multiple times on Virtualbox, and the problem isn't present there. I'm convinced that this is an issue with VMWare, but there have been ways to fix it in Ubuntu (like here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1021743 ... vms-window).This uses gsettings to change the scale. I'm just not sure how to do the same in Cinnamon.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

shanghaiisnotanet wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:52 amHowever, I'm not sure what the equivalent scaling setting is in gsettings within the cinnamon desktop.
I would think if clicking Apply as absque fenestris has explained is not working, then the next approach would be using xrandr.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

It's almost the same

Code: Select all

org.cinnamon.desktop.interface scaling-factor
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
shanghaiisnotanet
Level 1
Level 1

JosephM wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:43 pm

Code: Select all

org.cinnamon.desktop.interface scaling-factor
This is what I was looking for! A way from the command line to apply scaling in cinnamon. It doesn't seem to stick in cinnamon the way it does on gnome in ubuntu, but it's trivial to make a startup script. Thank you!

(As I'm now further along in my Linux studies than before, I probably could've dumped all the values for gsettings to a file and searched for a string that closely matched the ubuntu command, but you live and learn. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

Return to “Software & Applications”