Root partition grows by 4 GB in 2 weeks Why ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Root partition grows by 4 GB in 2 weeks Why ?

Post by Menard »

Hello

- I empty the var/cache/apt/archives
- I added no application else than one kernel and a VPN (protonvpn)

What to do ?

So now I have this partition : 31.6 GB used 13.9 GB free 16.0 GB

It the second time I notice this, last month I have it too, but I restore the root by Timeshift every month
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Root partition grows by 4 GB in 2 weeks Why ?

Post by all41 »

Menard wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:24 am Hello

- I empty the var/cache/apt/archives
- I added no application else than one kernel and a VPN (protonvpn)

What to do ?

So now I have this partition : 31.6 GB used 13.9 GB free 16.0 GB

It the second time I notice this, last month I have it too, but I restore the root by Timeshift every month
How many Timeshift snapshots do you keep?
You can use the Disk Usage Analyzer tool to find the culprit(s)
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
MAlfare

Post by MAlfare »

Menard wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:24 am ......., but I restore the root by Timeshift every month
WHY ????
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

all41 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:53 am
My snapshots are not on the root partition, I use an external storage
I know this tool but as generally it warns us that it cannot see some memory place, I tend not tu use it ...
Anyway it doesn't see the root partition :!:
Last edited by Menard on Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

MAlfare wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:58 am
Menard wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:24 am ......., but I restore the root by Timeshift every month
WHY ????
Because it restores a fresh installation that has only some hours used, and because NSA agents do this :wink:
--

ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

But then you have to go through all the last month's updates and upgrades again!

Sorry, but what you do seems pointless to me and I can see absolutely no good reason for doing it. Normally users restore only if something has gone very wrong and can not be more easily restored.
MAlfare

Post by MAlfare »

ajgreeny wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:38 pm But then you have to go through all the last month's updates and upgrades again!
Sorry, but what you do seems pointless to me
You forgot, he is an NSA agent, and they don't make updates.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Menard wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:13 pm
all41 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:53 am
My snapshots are not on the root partition, I use an external storage
I know this tool but as generally it warns us that it cannot see some memory place, I tend not tu use it ...
Anyway it doesn't see the root partition :!:
How about your log file sizes? If there is a constantly logged error the logs can grow
rapidly.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

ajgreeny wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:38 pm But then you have to go through all the last month's updates and upgrades again!

Sorry, but what you do seems pointless to me and I can see absolutely no good reason for doing it. Normally users restore only if something has gone very wrong and can not be more easily restored.
Yes that's right, it takes me 2 to 3 hours to restore, upgrade one month (a second time) to re-install some applications and settings, and to back up the new version, but I began to do this when I had some issue with the shut down, issues that come with the time the OS is used and restoring fix it and now it seems to be less present, almost not present, and that is for me a and in a general way we can say that it prevents to accumulate some errors that may cause harm,damage , for example I m trying a VPN and so I prefer it not to let anything in root, even if I uninstall it, because it is not in the repository (though i have no reason to have doubts especially about this VPN)
--

cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

No wonder you have so many problems with your computer. You repeatedly re-introduce faults from snapshots of defective OS.
Cliff Coggin
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

cliffcoggin wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:01 am No wonder you have so many problems with your computer. You repeatedly re-introduce faults from snapshots of defective OS.
That's nonsense, it is the exact contrary
--

Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Looks like your needlessly intricate way of handling snapshots is the cause of your problem. I recommend to re-start with a clean slate: do a clean fresh installation of Mint and then only use snapshots like they're meant to be used.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:56 am Looks like your needlessly intricate way of handling snapshots is the cause of your problem. I recommend to re-start with a clean slate: do a clean fresh installation of Mint and then only use snapshots like they're meant to be used.
Timeshift and snapshots are made for this, or this is useless

What I do is evidently, restarting with a clean state, far more clean than ever, than yours
or then if you are right it proves that Timeshift is not doeing what it is supposed to

And additionnally with the time that goes, my Linux is facing less and less issues, so much that i am exposing the less critical ones now

You are trying to explain that I should use a method that bring my OS to need to be hard shutdown everyday ...

And anyway I have not the time to resinstall, if I must reinstall now this is anyway windows that I ll install

I don't think that "intricate" is a correct expression to describe what I do , I only come back at the last good snapshot , this is what is advised with all OS
--

Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

So now, I ll try to find what these 4 GB are, but sure that a good thing should have been to check every day the memory place taken by root so that I can see if it is 4 GB in one time or step by step, and when and why

I found no many errors lines in the boot log

Code: Select all

sudo journalctl -b
nothing unusual
only this

Code: Select all

chrome[2235]: [2235:2235:0920/091811.223285:WARNING:chrome_content_verifier_delegate.cc(212)] Corruption detected in extension galpopeppgfimpgpdbbkhemhcjgghmhl installed at: /home/u3/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Brow>
and many lines about the firewall :shock: :shock: :shock: but it is with default settings (not sure, if the settings are in the home it is not)

I think one part of the explaination may be here, because new lines all the time, but 4 GB , no

var/log/journal takes only 300 MB :o
--

Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:56 am Looks like your needlessly intricate way of handling snapshots is the cause of your problem. I recommend to re-start with a clean slate: do a clean fresh installation of Mint and then only use snapshots like they're meant to be used.
I d be happy that u can explain me how Timeshift can bring Linux Mint to create a 4 GB useless root partition leak ?
--

Return to “Software & Applications”