"Dummy Output" sound device when connected via xrdp to my Linux Mint machine from a Windows 10 client

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mfcallahan
Level 1
Level 1

"Dummy Output" sound device when connected via xrdp to my Linux Mint machine from a Windows 10 client

Post by mfcallahan »

When I remote connect from Windows 10 (using the default Windows RDP client) to my Linux Mint 20.1 remote machine, I would like to be able to play sound from the remote Mint machine. However, in the sound settings I see that the device is "Dummy Sound" and no audio will play:

Searching this forum and Googling around mostly yields solutions about using pulseaudio to redirect the sound back to the Windows client machine, but this is not exactly what I'm looking to do. The remote Linux Mint machine has its own speakers which I would like to use when I am remotely connected and audio is being played on this machine. Has anyone ever experienced this issue and found a workaround?

tl;dr how do I enable sound to be played on a Linux Mint 20.1 machine when I am remotely connected to it (xrdp) from a Windows 10 client?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Software & Applications”