docker-compose file version 3.8

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jdege
Level 1
Level 1

docker-compose file version 3.8

Post by jdege »

I'm playing around with docker and docker-compose, both in Windows 10 and on my Linux Mint 20.2 install.

I'm following a tutorial, and my sample docker-compose.yml file specifies version: "3.8"

This works in Windows, it does not in Linux. The issue seems to be that Linux Mint 20.2 includes docker-compose version 1.25.0, and docker-compose didn't support file version 3.8 until version 1.25.5.

This is a known, and relatively old, issue:

compose file version 3.8 not recognized on Debian buster #7844

I've checked, and my installed version of docker-compose is 1.25.0-1 and the latest version is 1.25.0-1.

The docker-compose version history is here:

Docker Compose release notes

And according to it support for file version 3.8 was added in version 1.25.5 - which was released in April, 2020. Nearly a year-and-a-half ago.

I really need to update docker-compose to a more current version, but I don't like manually installing packages that are installed by the package managers.

Is there an up-to-date version of docker-compose in the sources, that I've simply not found?

And if there isn't, how should I best go about directly installing a more current version, without breaking things? Should I uninstall the docker-compose package? Or should I just leave it alone and install a newer version over the top of it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Software & Applications”