Notepadqq stability issues

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
openletter
Level 2
Level 2

Notepadqq stability issues

Post by openletter »

I have Notepadqq installed and it's been having stability issues.

The GitHub states to use Qt 5.6 or higher, and I have 5.12.

Is Qt something installed by default in Mint? I did find a way to upgrade to a newer version by downloading from their site, but I wasn't sure if this would somehow break something.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Notepadqq stability issues

Post by mikeflan »

Please search for Notepadqq in Synaptic Package Manager, highlight it, hit Properties, and then select the dependencies tab.
notepad2.png
Yes, I think Qt is installed by default in LM.
openletter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by openletter »

If I upgrade Qt, do I break Mint?
Attachments
notepadqqsynapticpropertiesdependencies.png
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I would say there is a chance of causing problems that you don't want if you upgrade Qt. Take a Timeshift snapshot if you decide to do that. Some more reading:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=347638
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=281357
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

The issues are probably not caused by your Qt version, but rather by Notepadqq itself. The latest release is a Beta version from 2019, so it's unstable. I've used it over the years and it always had issues. Look here, there are 235 issues: https://github.com/notepadqq/notepadqq/issues You could report your stability issues but the development seems very slow.

Personally I've said my goodbyes to Notepad++ which I loved from Windows, and also to Notepadqq (which doesn't have most of Notepad++ features yet anyway) and moved on to other, rock solid Linux alternatives like Geany.
Grayfox
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Grayfox »

I am running Notepadqq and have no issues, but if you still have issues you could always try "Sublime"
Similar application that offers syntax highlighting for various languages
PC: Intel i5 6600K @4.5Ghz, 1TB NVMe SSD, 32GiB 3000Mhz DDR4, GTX1080 running Mint 21.3
Laptop: Asus UM425UAZ running LMDE 6
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

I use Notepad++ with wine.
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
Debian Support. Deb 12/13 Trixie 6.7.9
openletter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by openletter »

I had learned Notepadqq some years ago and didn't have problems until maybe the past 2 years or so, so that makes sense.

After the first sign of instability I installed Notepad++ which installed without any issues and has been rock-solid, at least with the version of wine which states it is the one to be used with Linux Mint (I find people in other places posting they use wine from some place else).

I don't always judge projects by the quantity of issues. A lot times you find issues like a feature request to add msi installer, or something else completely irrelevant to the project, and the devs don't want to spend the rest of their lives policing the issues, so they just give up.

And thanks for the tip on Geany. I somehow hadn't discovered that one, geez. It should be default text editor, because Xed just isn't quite there (I can't even Ctrl+Tab through tabs - I think Firefox had that when they introduced tabs almost 20 years ago). What I had been using Notepadqq for was the quick copy-paste notes that I don't care if they disappear forever, and in Notepad++ I do miss the convenient highlight and paste with middle-click feature that Linux provides.
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

openletter wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:45 am (I find people in other places posting they use wine from some place else).
https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
Debian Support. Deb 12/13 Trixie 6.7.9
openletter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by openletter »

The specific package installed is wine-installer:

Code: Select all

$ apt show wine-installer
Package: wine-installer
Version: 5.0.3
Priority: optional
Section: admin
Maintainer: Linux Mint <root@linuxmint.com>
Installed-Size: 8,192 B
Depends: wine, wine-desktop-files
Recommends: wine64, wine32
Download-Size: 2,132 B
APT-Manual-Installed: yes
APT-Sources: http://packages.linuxmint.com uma/main amd64 Packages
Description: Microsoft Windows Compatibility Layer
 This package installs the stable version of WINE from WINEHQ, along with desktop files and libraries for WINE to work properly.
 This is the recommended way to install WINE within Linux Mint.

Return to “Software & Applications”