[CLOSED—MOOT] lm20.2 Cinn How to toggle Thunderbird's 'work offline' switch in the command line

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

[CLOSED—MOOT] lm20.2 Cinn How to toggle Thunderbird's 'work offline' switch in the command line

Post by sadhu »

When running a VPN I can't check my gmail using thunderbird because my IP is different; I have to shut down the VPN first. Sometimes I want to run Thunderbird just to check my calendar, so I have a little script that invokes Thunderbird using the -offline option. Note that this option does not show up when you enter thunderbird --help in a terminal.

When I close Thunderbird, kill the VPN, then reopen thunderbird in order to check my mail, TBird is still in offline mode. I would like to write a little script that would disable the 'work offline' setting at startup, instead of me having to do it manually. Something like thunderbird -online.

(I have tried to do my homework: asking DuckDuckGo for help with thunderbird command line switches leads me to the non-existent site mozillazine.org; support.mozilla.com sends me to '404' pages.)

I suspect there isn't a way to toggle the offline mode, but still one can hope.

-sadhu
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LM 21.2-64 Cinn 5.8.4
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Re: lm20.2 Cinn How to toggle Thunderbird's 'work offline' switch in the command line

Post by mikeflan »

Try this add on and tell us how it goes:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ent=search
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [WITHDRAWN] lm20.2 Cinn How to toggle Thunderbird's 'work offline' switch in the command line

Post by sadhu »

I have two startup lauchers, one thunderbird -mail and the other thunderbird -offline.

When I want to send an email or check for new emails, should I be offline, thunderbird posts a popup asking if I want to go online, which is easy to click. This is simpler than going to the menu first.

So I'm closing this issue as MOOT.

Thanks, everyone.

-Sadhu
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LM 21.2-64 Cinn 5.8.4

Return to “Software & Applications”