Warpinator not working after ISP change

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
luggw1
Level 2
Level 2

Warpinator not working after ISP change

Post by luggw1 »

I recently changed to a new ISP - Viasat - and began using their integrated router instead of my Linksys router. I've noticed that now Warpinator doesn't work to any of my Wifi connected machines or my Android devices. I can ping them by IP address but not by host name (not sure I ever could). Nothing is jumping out at me in the router config that would suggest the Wifi connected machines are isolated from the rest of the network in any way.

Can anyone provide some help getting this most useful utility to work again?

Thanks
Bill Lugg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Quinton McLeod
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Warpinator not working after ISP change

Post by Quinton McLeod »

Sounds like a DNS issue. 9 times out of 10, whichever router you're using now, it's using a bad DNS.
If you give a man a fish -- he will have a fish.
luggw1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by luggw1 »

Not sure as there's nothing in the router config that indicates what DNS it's using. FWIW, I can ping outside sites by host name successfully (e.g. google.com). If it was truly a bad DNS, I don't think that would work. Also, what would I set a static DNS to anyway?

Thanks
Bill Lugg
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

I admit I have never used warpinator but the description says it is for sharing files over LAN. Assuming I'm not missing some sort of special use case, ISP (WAN) would not affect it at all.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Probably a useless post since I don't use warpinator. I'm not even sure how it's supposed to work but I did find a reference to zeroconf in github.

zeroconf is avahi so this may be an avahi issue.

First make sure avahi is running in Mint:

Code: Select all

sudo service avahi-daemon restart
Then make sure sure you are not the victim of a drunk and disorderly ISP:

Run this is a terminal:

host -t SOA local
It should come back with something like : Host local not found: 3(NXDOMAIN) .....

If instead it comes back with an actual ip address your ISP is drunk and disorderly:
local has SOA record localhost. xxxx.yyyy.zzz.

One way out of this is to change the DNS servers you use from the one supplied by your ISP to say ... google ( 8.8.8.8 ).

As a check on this run the host command again using Google's DNS:
host -t SOA local 8.8.8.8
Using domain server:
Name: 8.8.8.8
Address: 8.8.8.8#53
Aliases:

Host local not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
If this is it then it's what Quinton McLeod said......
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
luggw1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by luggw1 »

altair4 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:01 am Probably a useless post since I don't use warpinator. I'm not even sure how it's supposed to work but I did find a reference to zeroconf in github.

zeroconf is avahi so this may be an avahi issue.

First make sure avahi is running in Mint:

sudo service avahi-daemon restart
Then make sure sure you are not the victim of a drunk and disorderly ISP:

Run this is a terminal:

host -t SOA local
It should come back with something like : Host local not found: 3(NXDOMAIN) .....
Thanks for the reply,

I tried restarting the avahi daemon as you suggested. I also ran the first host command and received the "Host local not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)" message back, so I guess I can confirm that my ISP is not "drunk and disorderly" and DNS is not the issue.

So, no your post was not useless, thanks for the help. :wink:

Bill Lugg

Return to “Software & Applications”