can't install blender

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
second.exodous
Level 2
Level 2

can't install blender

Post by second.exodous »

I want the latest version of blender but I don't want to install flathub as that always changes where things are and following tutorials are difficult.

So the best maintaned PPA is https://launchpad.net/~savoury1/+archive/ubuntu/blender, I added that PPA no problem and it prompted me to update some software. When I wen to install blender I get this error:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install blender
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 blender : Depends: libusd (>= 20.08) but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: libopenimageio2.2 (>= 2.2.18.0+dfsg) but it is not going to be installed
           Depends: libopenshadinglanguage1.11 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
I went to the synaptic package manager and sure enough I can't install libusd, libopenimageio2.2 or libopenshadinglanguage1.11, it says there are broken packages and even after I fix the packages in synaptics I still get this error.

What should I do to get around this? This is a fresh install of 20.2. I just was trying Ubuntu Studio and had it installed there but didn't really like ubuntu studio, I thought it would make edditing video and using OBS better but it didn't. On this PC I had the previous version of Linux Mint installed before ubuntu studio and with the same PPA blender installed fine.

Thanx in advance for the help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Re: can't install blender

Post by djph »

you've set the ppa to the right version for your LM install right? Looks like most (all) of those packages are in it (BUT they might conflict / not be installable for other reasons).

What's wrong with the version direct from blender.org? As I recall, it's not a snap/flatpak (and their tutorials seemed to match) -- but it's been a few years since I've played with it.
second.exodous
Level 2
Level 2

Post by second.exodous »

djph wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:00 am you've set the ppa to the right version for your LM install right? Looks like most (all) of those packages are in it (BUT they might conflict / not be installable for other reasons).
I didn't, not sure why, I'll look into that.
djph wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:00 amWhat's wrong with the version direct from blender.org? As I recall, it's not a snap/flatpak (and their tutorials seemed to match) -- but it's been a few years since I've played with it.
I remember I had problems with it also, maybe because dependencies so I used the PPA. I do remember I had some problem with it.

EDIT: Nope, I checked I had the right version, Linux Mint 20.2 Uma is based on Ubuntu 21.04 Hirsute right?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

djph wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:00 am you've set the ppa to the right version for your LM install right? ...
You don't set ppas for the right version. The reason that it says some packages aren't going to be installed is because they're already there in an older form and replacing them will break things. There isn't a lot of backwards compatibility in Linux land. Many beginners break their system with ppas by forcing these installs.This is why.t's often recommended that beginners avoid ppas. I don't have any

Personally if I were you I'd go for the flatpak, it'll be less trouble than this.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

second.exodous wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:08 am Linux Mint 20.2 Uma is based on Ubuntu 21.04 Hirsute right?
No, it is based on Ubuntu 20.04 focal. Any way installing ppa will point to the right Ubuntu edition.

Looks like you need to completely remove previus Blender version (and ppa if any) and that ofending libopenshadinglanguage1.10 package , also install another ppa as it is described in install intructions (look here).

Neither I recommend install Blender in such way. Consider flatpak if really need last version and don't want portable option (there is no official version as appimage) :wink:
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.

Return to “Software & Applications”