Firefox Can't Open Other Applications

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
techd
Level 1
Level 1

Firefox Can't Open Other Applications

Post by techd »

Soon after I switched over to Linux Mint (Cinnamon, 64-bit), I noticed that Mozilla Firefox doesn't seem to able to open other applications. For example, when I try to click a mailto (email) link, nothing happens. The same is true for opening the download folder after downloading a given file. Interestingly enough, selecting "Show All Downloads", I can see that Firefox notices when a file is replaced/renamed/deleted after I try to double click (open) such a file. An exception to this is that Firefox can open files like .zip and .tar.xz, which need to be decompressed (but, again, it can't open the location of the file via the file explorer). I've attached some images to make this more clear.

Image #1 - Clicking on the folder icon or file has no effect (menu closes) Image

Image #2 ("All Downloads" view) - Opening .zip and .tar.xz files is possible Image

Image #3 ("All Downloads" view) - When trying to open (double click) a file that has been replaced/renamed/deleted, Firefox notices Image

Thank you for trying to help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Firefox Can't Open Other Applications

Post by mikeflan »

Welcome to the forum. What version of FF? I use v87.0.

e-mail yourself and include:

Code: Select all

mailto:test@yahoo.com
Does clicking on it in an e-mail work?
If Yes, then create a simple webpage (in Libre Writer perhaps), double click on it, and test again.
Both methods work for me.
Last edited by mikeflan on Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
techd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by techd »

Thank you for your reply!

I use FF 92.0. I sent an email to myself with a mailto link and everything worked. I also created a .html document in Writer with a mailto link and was only able to open it from Writer; opening the .html file in Firefox and clicking on the mailto link did nothing.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

OK, so the problem is probably in FF.
Start Menu - Preferred Applications. Do you have a default mail application set?
pref.png
If not, please set one.

Then open FF and type about:config in the URL box. Go in (Show All) and search for mailto
Is network.protocol-handler.external.mailto true?
Do you have a gecko.handlerService.schemes.mailto.0.uriTemplate
If so, what is across from it? Mine has https://compose.mail.yahoo.com/?To=%s
techd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by techd »

Hmmm.. I have a default email application set and already changed network.protocol-handler.external.mailto to true, as I searched a bit around on the web before asking here, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything.
I also have gecko.handlerService.schemes.mailto.0.uriTemplate and my value for it is the same as yours.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

You could create another profile in FF via the about:profiles URL and see if that fixes the problem in the new profile. Or shutdown FF, rename ~/.mozila/ to ~/.mozila-bak/, then restart FF. If it works then, you can selectively copy over your bookmarks and whatever else you need.
techd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by techd »

Thanks mikeflan, I tried creating/using a new profile but this didn't resolve the issue. I'm running 92.0.1, which appears to be the latest version.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I tried creating/using a new profile but this didn't resolve the issue.
That is a surprise. I thought that would work. So now go to the 2nd option:
Shutdown FF, rename ~/.mozila/ to ~/.mozila-bak/, then restart FF. If it works then, you can selectively copy over your bookmarks and whatever else you need.

If that doesn't work I would do a complete purge of FF and then reinstall.

If that doesn't work I would install another browser and see if that works. Then go to the Mozilla forum
http://forums.mozillazine.org/
and attack the problem there.

Return to “Software & Applications”