NBC Video Eats Memory - Freezes Computer

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kh2b1
Level 2
Level 2

NBC Video Eats Memory - Freezes Computer

Post by kh2b1 »

I am trying to watch a free TV show on NBC's website. I've tried using Chromium and Firefox with and without the extensions disabled. No matter what, after the first commercial, the browser starts eating all of the computer's memory until the computer freezes.

I can watch videos on other websites with no problems. Any ideas on what could be the problem and how to fix it? I deleted all the cache and cookies.

Relevant Info:
Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Intel Core i5-3350P
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti]

Firefox 92.0
Chromium 93.0.4577.63
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Re: NBC Video Eats Memory - Freezes Computer

Post by mikeflan »

Run htop in a terminal and then play the video. Sort by CPU% by clicking on that heading. When I play a youtube video my CPU's (at the top of htop) go from single digit to about 20% on all 8 cores. Then it comes right back down when I stop the video. The FF process (further below) goes from 8% up to about 45% CPU%, and then back down to 8% when I stop the video. Memory and Swap do not change.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

Probably JavaScript. Those sites run an F-ton of scripts but you normally only need 3 or 4 allowed in order to watch what you want. Unbelievable how many scripts some of these sites try to run simultaneously and in a loop. The NoScript add-on, or similar, might be your answer, but experimentation is required to discover those that are necessary.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I just now watched https://www.nbcnews.com/ live and no problems here, htop showed this

oh, I have www.fonts.googleapis.com blocked in the HOST FILE

did that help? dunno
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
kh2b1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kh2b1 »

Firstly, I do have a script blocker in Firefox. I allowed everything that was needed to view the video.

When watching the video, the RAM is at 1.9 GB (25%) and the CPU fluctuates between 20-25% on all four cores UNTIL I get to the first commercial break (technically ad 3 of 5).

At the first commerical, the RAM starts climbing towards 8 GB until I close Firefox. The CPU is all over the place, 3 cores will be at 4% and 1 core at 100%.

Here is the video I'm currently having issues with - https://www.nbc.com/law-and-order-organ ... of/4346217

To be clear, it's not just that video. It's other videos on NBC as well. I don't have problems with other websites.

I'll try tinkering around some more.
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Post by mikeflan »

I expected it to play with this configuration, but it didn't"
js.png
Generally when this happens, I don't play the video, which is what I did in this case.

I suggest you open Plug-Ins - Extensions - NoScript - click 3 dots - Preferences - then remove most of the "Trusted" (set at Default instead) listed for that site. Then open the site again and selectively temporarily trust until it just barely plays. Then make some of those "Trusted" if you want. Maybe this will eliminate the fautly JS script.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I watched the video for about 5 minutes, no issues here on FF, and 19.3 Cinnamon

I remember the episode well, watched it on DISH TV
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
kh2b1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kh2b1 »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:47 am I watched the video for about 5 minutes, no issues here on FF, and 19.3 Cinnamon
No, you have to watch until after the first commercial - about 11 minutes. You could just skip ahead to just before the first commercial, then watch until the show comes back from commercial break. That's when the problem starts. I can't just skip ahead to after the first commerical because it happens then too.

I'm having the same exact problem on Windows (different computer), using Firefox and Vivaldi. It doesn't matter what scripts I block/unblock, it still happens.

I guess I should just ask on another forum, though it sounds like the problem is on NBC's end.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Oh,
I skipped all of the commercials, never watch those

watched about 5 minutes of the actual episode, and for me, no issues.
kh2b1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kh2b1 »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:59 pm Oh,
I skipped all of the commercials, never watch those

watched about 5 minutes of the actual episode, and for me, no issues.
lol, because the problems start AFTER the first commercial. Even if I skip the commercial, the problem still occurs.
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

mikeflan wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:45 am I suggest you open Plug-Ins - Extensions - NoScript - click 3 dots - Preferences - then remove most of the "Trusted" (set at Default instead) listed for that site. Then open the site again and selectively temporarily trust until it just barely plays. Then make some of those "Trusted" if you want. Maybe this will eliminate the fautly JS script.
Just an FYI: I'm currently trying to diagnose a similar problem to the OP, however, it only occurs if I block "something". I was originally using uBlock Origin without any other changes and whilst streaming, the memory usage would creep up and up. If I disabled uBlock Origin the streams would play no problem, no memory leak. I've had to switch to uMatrix, allow everything, and am gradually blocking parts until I find the culprit. Not there yet.

Return to “Software & Applications”