My pc chrashes a lot

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bee_Simp
Level 1
Level 1

My pc chrashes a lot

Post by Bee_Simp »

Well, my problem is that, every time I open a slightly heavy program, my computer lags and gives a crash screen, I know that my pc is not powerful at all but in windows 7 I could play call of duty 1 without problems or halo, things like that, but when installing mint that happens to me even with steam, just by opening it PUM! Crash and I have to restart the pc, it doesn't really bother me in games but for example in brave it glistens horrible, it doesn't crash but I can't navigate.
If someone could help me I would really appreciate it :)
just in case these are my specifications:
Dual Core AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600
4 Gb ram drr2
GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Yes I know I have a dinosaur hahaha
I'm thinking of switching to windows 7 again, but I like linux, it would be a shame to quit.
Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: My pc chrashes a lot

Post by JoeFootball »

Bee_Simp wrote: If someone could help me I would really appreciate it
You didn't mention which version of Linux Mint you were using, but for something like that, I'd try LM 19.2 Xfce (supported until April 2023). Xfce is the "lightest" of the desktops that LM uses. Also, 19.2 defaults to the 4.15.x kernel, which can work better with older hardware. Even if you subsequently upgrade to LM 19.3 from that, it will stay with the 4.15.x series.

Lastly, if anyone would be able to help, they'd likely need to know more details of your system. Post the output of inxi -Fxxxrz, between "code" tags (it's the </> button on the post composer) so that it appears like this: [code]your output goes here[/code]
Bee_Simp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bee_Simp »

I tried it and it goes the same, I use version 20.2 and I changed to 19.2 and had the same errors and also could not install wine, I think I will have to change to windows 7 again.
Thank you very much for your contribution but I think I will do better in windows, it was a nice experience trying linux.

Mintmann
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mintmann »

Make sure that all system memory is being used. Maybe test your system memory too.
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

Bee_Simp wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:49 amWell, my problem is that, every time I open a slightly heavy program, my computer lags and gives a crash screen
Did you check your CPU temps? These old AMD CPUs don't throttle down on overheat, they just crash.

Return to “Software & Applications”