? LM20.2 THUNDERBIRD - does new config DELETE from server?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

? LM20.2 THUNDERBIRD - does new config DELETE from server?

Post by Webtest »

Blessings Esteemed Forum Participants & Lurkers!
NOTE: NEW setup LM 20.2 Mate 64-bit LiveMedia System (ROM)

The last time I set up a new version of Thunderbird, it loaded all the setup information and then promptly opened the account and, per the installation DEFAULT (which I could NOT change before this happened), it downloaded all of my mail, but it immediately DELETED all of my mail for that address OFF OF THE SERVER! That is one really crappy default setting.

I need to know if that will happen on my new LM20.2 system. I can NOT import my Tbird LM18.3 profile because it is NOT compatible with the new version. Thank you for any and all comments, suggestions, and assistance with this dilemma.

Blessings in abundance, all the best,
Art in Carlisle PA USA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BOAT - a hole in the water that you pour money into
LINUX - a hole in your life that you pour TIME into

HP dx2400 Core 2 Duo 8 GB. Mint 13/15/17.x/18.x Mate <on LOCKED SD cards, and Kanguru USB drives> No Hard Drive / No SSD
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: ? LM20.2 THUNDERBIRD - does new config DELETE from server?

Post by JoeFootball »

Webtest wrote: Thank you for any and all comments, suggestions, and assistance with this dilemma.
Guess: Disconnect from the network when you're configuring the new account, and ensure the "delete from server" option is disabled before you reconnect.
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

That sounds a lot like a POP3 email server.
IMAP (at least in all the times I've configured tbird) doesn't delete-by-default.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

What you say about IMAP is true, but . . to use IMAP you need to be able to trust that the mail servers will always be available and will always have the functions you need. I don't trust the mail servers I use (AT&T / Yahoo and HostGator). So I use POP3, and I choose to delete the e-mails off the server. But then you have to take on the role of archiving the e-mail over time, which I choose to do.

I wonder if there is a method for the OP to reload the e-mail from his computer to the server? I know of no easy method to do that in most cases.
fbachofner
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fbachofner »

mikeflan wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:48 am I wonder if there is a method for the OP to reload the e-mail from his computer to the server? I know of no easy method to do that in most cases.
It is definitely possible to copy (or move) from any "local" folders back to an IMAP account.

My advice to people is to use IMAP for "current" e-mail and use TBird's archive feature and move older e-mail to a "local" folder. I generally keep 6 - 12 months on the server so I have a lot of e-mail available on mobile devices . . .

Keep in mind, with Thunderbird, IMAP accounts can store copies of messages on the local drive too, so even if you don't have a connection, e-mails in IMAP folders should be available.
various self-built desktop machines and a MiniForums U550 mini-PC
each runs LinuxMint 20.3 with Cinnamon
i7 self-built server --> Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTR (with Cinnamon, for the rare GUI login)
various VPSes --> Ubuntu Server LTR (headless)
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

mikeflan wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:48 am What you say about IMAP is true, but . . to use IMAP you need to be able to trust that the mail servers will always be available and will always have the functions you need.
My point was that the behavior sounds a lot like the OP selected "POP3" instead of "IMAP", hence the surprise auto-deletion from the server.
Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Webtest »

Thanks to all responders ... the system is a POP/SMTP server.
JoeFootball wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:36 am Guess: Disconnect from the network when you're configuring the new account, and ensure the "delete from server" option is disabled before you reconnect.
Thank you Joe. That would work, but I believe Thunderbird needs to attempt to connect to the server to fetch the SMTP and POP and port information for the account (?). I could configure that all manually though, since I can resurrect it from my previous system. That takes a bit of time that would not be required if the default was set reasonably.

Thank you all very much. I'll try the manual configuration with the server disconnected, including turning the "instant delete from server" OFF.
Art in Carlisle, PA USA

HP dx2400 Core 2 Duo 8 GB. Mint 13/15/17.x/18.x Mate <on LOCKED SD cards, and Kanguru USB drives> No Hard Drive / No SSD
Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Webtest »

It gets WORSE!
I'll try the manual configuration with the server disconnected, including turning the "instant delete from server" OFF.
"thunderbird --profile <path>" results only in a MODAL pop up configuration screen: "Set up your existing Email address" which has only THREE control buttons:
Cancel which is enabled.
Configure manually and Exit ... which, certainly by Murphy's Law, are DISabled (grayed out).
How is THAT for a Catch-22 ??? Cancel not only closes the MODAL config screen, it also delightfully closes thunderbird!!!
Frustration, frustration, ... frustration.
Art in Carlisle, PA USA

Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Webtest »

Blessings Esteemed Participants & Lurkers!
Spinning up this LM 20.2 LiveMedia system is the most ungodly painful process I have ever experienced. I have created LiveMedia systems and have the saved USB drives for versions 8, 10,13,15, 17, and 18, and have never had so many problems (example)

My solution for this Thunderbird problem is to:
1) Download all new email to my existing LM18.3 system.
2) In LM20.2 with the Internet connected: Open Thunderbird and enter the top account name and email address from my email directory (6 addresses) into the MODAL entry box, but enter a WRONG password so that the configuration fails. When this happens, Thunderbird falls into an advanced configuration mode which will allow me to MANUALLY configure my first email account. From there I can configure all the rest of my accounts.

If and when this is successful, I will mark the topic as solved.
Thank you for all of your kind assistance with this frustration.
Art in Carlisle, PA USA

Return to “Software & Applications”