{Solved -sort of] WINE window size and 'X' box

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gittist
Level 3
Level 3

{Solved -sort of] WINE window size and 'X' box

Post by gittist »

I have two problems that I need help with.

In attempt to resize a WINE window so that I could read what was in it I ended up with a large box with an X through it overlaying the original window (I can still see what's under it). I uninstalled the program but when I reinstalled the program the X is still there. How do I get rid of the 'X' box?

I do have a screen dump but don't know how to put it here. When I try to attach .png it I get the screen that says my 1.5MB file is too large. :?

The other is can I enlarge the WINE window? I don't remember what I did but I can drag a corner to make the window larger but all that gets larger is the window outline but not what is in the window.

Thank you for helping the dummy.

** The big X through the window is only on the opening screen and nowhere else so that can be ignored. I still wonder why it's still there after removing the program and reinstalling it .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: WINE window size and 'X' box

Post by GELvdH »

I am trying to determine why you are trying to open a wine window. When I download a windows program, after I have wine installed, it will ask me if I want to open it with wine and than it opens that program to a full screen. What are you trying to do?
gittist
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gittist »

After opening the program the application window is so small I can hardly see what's in it. I can make the WINE window larger but the application window remains the same size. Picture putting a coffee mug in a box that is 12 by 12 inches and then moving the coffee mug to a box that's 3 feet by 3 feet. The box is bigger but not the mug.

Semper Fi!
gittist
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gittist »

Ok, I have a solution for the first problem. That is to change the display size in Linux Mint, and when I'm done change it back.

I still don't know what to do about the big box with the X in it. Picture a watermark the size of the screen that looks like the X you use to close a window.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

gittist wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:13 am I do have a screen dump but don't know how to put it here. When I try to attach .png it I get the screen that says my 1.5MB file is too large. :?
Upload the 1.5 MB large screenshot file to a free image file hoster like e.g. imgbb.com or imgur.com. Paste the direct link to the uploaded image file in your next reply. Will enable us to see what the window in question looks like.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
gittist
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gittist »

If I did it correctly this is the link to the screen dump:

https://ibb.co/Q9NnjTv

Thank you for the help.
Last edited by karlchen on Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added downsized image preview with the help of [rimg] full address of image file [/rimg], clicking on the preview will display it in full size
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

gittist wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:52 am
You can crop and save your image as a 44K jpg file (quality=25 with xnview) like this (click to embiggen):
X-in-screen1.jpg
As for the X, does it happen with just the one program, or other wine programs also? Do your winecfg settings look like this?
wine-cfg.jpg
You could also try a new wine "prefix", namely start with a new or empty ~/.wine directory, then install your program into that one.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
nielo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nielo »

You could do what I did:
Type Alt+F2
In the window that opens type: winecfg
Choose "Graphics" tab
Change the screen resolution in that tab to something like 100, experiment by adjusting it to your liking e.g. 120 or 140
gittist
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gittist »

I tried that and it doesn't help any. There must be something in the program itself that sets the size of the window. The only thing that helps is going into the 'display' menu for Linux and changing the resolution there.
nielo
Level 3
Level 3

Re: {Solved -sort of] WINE window size and 'X' box

Post by nielo »

Hm. I would try again by installing in PlayOnLinux - which is in the Software Manager

Return to “Software & Applications”