Full PC Encrypted Backups on Linux

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
endalldisease
Level 2
Level 2

Full PC Encrypted Backups on Linux

Post by endalldisease »

Hey team, :D
I've been a windows user since the mid-90s, and have finally seen the light/made the switch to Linux Mint.
I'm brand new to this and could use your help.

Aim
I want to create scheduled encrypted backups of my entire computer so that if the hardware were to ever fail, I'd simply have to buy a new computer, then load the data onto it and I'd be back in business.

What's the best way to make automatic weekly encrypted backups of my entire linux file system?
FYI - I do pay for dropbox monthly, but am open to switching for something more secure, less expensive or better for some other reason.

Looking forward to your reply.
-Mark
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Exploring the Metabolic Origins of Disease and How to Conquer it Using Therapies That Won't Kill You!
https://www.endalldisease.com
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Full PC Encrypted Backups on Linux

Post by t42 »

endalldisease wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:30 pm I want to create scheduled encrypted backups of my entire computer so that if the hardware were to ever fail, I'd simply have to buy a new computer, then load the data onto it and I'd be back in business.
Encrypted backups of entire operating system can be done with Clonezilla, a partition and disk cloning live OS based on USB. But you should schedule your actions using external OS. Otherwise the scheduled task would be limited to the data-only backup with too many solutions possible.
-=t42=-
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Encrypted backups of entire operating system can be done with Clonezilla, a partition and disk cloning live OS based on USB.
I think I don't understand "disk cloning live OS based on USB". I have a separate disk and partition in my computer with the live boot of Clonezilla on it. How do I automate the shutting down of my OS system, boot into the Clonezilla partition, then issue the long command Clonezilla gives me to image the whole OS drive?
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

mikeflan wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:40 am How do I automate the shutting down of my OS system, boot into the Clonezilla partition, then issue the long command Clonezilla gives me to image the whole OS drive?
No chance. As said above " you should schedule your actions using external OS"
-=t42=-
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

And it will take a long time. None of the disk imaging tools, clonezilla, foxclone, rescuezilla understand LUKS. They will backup a partition but because they cannot determine used blocks they will backup the entire partition. On un-encrypted systems they only backup the used blocks in partitions, which is a lot quicker.

If you are new to linux I would avoid full disk encryption. You are adding a layer of complexity that can make it impossible to recover from if things go wrong. There are other alternatives to protecting sensitive information such as veracrypt containers.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
endalldisease
Level 2
Level 2

Post by endalldisease »

Hey thanks for the information I appreciate it.

I guess I should've started with why.

My goal is to backup my linux laptop in such a way that if the hardware were to ever fail, all I'd have to do was buy a new laptop and then load the backup on there.

I want to avoid having to re-install all the software in the case of a system failure.

If that changes anything, what's the best way to make that happen?
Exploring the Metabolic Origins of Disease and How to Conquer it Using Therapies That Won't Kill You!
https://www.endalldisease.com
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I use Clonezilla full disk image for that. It's not guaranteed to work on the new hardware, but you might be surprised to find that is does work with little or no hiccups. To help this disk swapping work I do not use fstab to automatically mount my 3 auxiliary disks. I manually mount them with the Disks program on every startup. It only takes a few seconds.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

You will find foxclone or rescuezilla a lot easier to use than clonezilla. But as I said earlier, none of them, including clonezilla understand LUKS.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

endalldisease wrote: I want to create scheduled encrypted backups of my entire computer ...
What's the best way to make automatic weekly encrypted backups of my entire linux file system?
For clarity, is the source file system already encrypted? Or are you looking to have the resulting backups encrypted? Or both?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the use of Full Disk Encryption can be problematic,
- there has been numerous post(s) on How to Recover from this Full Disk Encryption
:arrow:

you would be prudent in using an Standard Installation,
that can be more easily cloned .. using Foxclone, for any full disk backup,
and then using an veracrypt containers for your private files.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Software & Applications”