Chromium asking for keyring daemon?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SyncroScales
Level 4
Level 4

Chromium asking for keyring daemon?

Post by SyncroScales »

Hi,

When I open Chromium is has a message and wants the password. It says something about the keyring daemon not happening when Linux started.

Should I put my passowrd in?

I can click cancel 2 or 3 times and Chromium still works.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop:ASUS M3N78-VM, AMD Phenom II 965 3.4GHz, 3.5GBRAM(4GB), XP SP3/Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, nVidia GeForce GT 430. Laptop:AMD Athlon 64 X2 DualCore 3800+ 2GHz(AMD QL-62), 3GB RAM, Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, ATI 3100.
Jymm
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Chromium asking for keyrihg daemon?

Post by Jymm »

Open a terminal
type or copy and paste: rm ~/.local/share/keyrings/*
Enter

Now open Chrome, if it asks you for your password, do not enter one choose Continue each time and ignore any warnings.
Chrome/Chromium will now open without a password.
SyncroScales
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SyncroScales »

rm -/.local/share/keyrings/*
rm: invalid option -- '/'
Try 'rm --help' for more information.
$ rm -/.local/share/keyrings/
rm: invalid option -- '/'
Try 'rm --help' for more information.

Then copy and paste from your reply, since maybe I got it wrong. Then:
rm: cannot remove '/home/desktoplmx-wd2/.local/share/keyrings/*': No such file or directory
Desktop:ASUS M3N78-VM, AMD Phenom II 965 3.4GHz, 3.5GBRAM(4GB), XP SP3/Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, nVidia GeForce GT 430. Laptop:AMD Athlon 64 X2 DualCore 3800+ 2GHz(AMD QL-62), 3GB RAM, Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, ATI 3100.
SyncroScales
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SyncroScales »

But why does it ask and Chromium still works when I press cancel? Or can type it in once or each time the message shows up multiple times?

I even uninstalled Chromium from Software Manager, and the settings and profile(?) still seems to be in the system. Why? What do I do to completely erase and reset Chromium?
Da Londo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Da Londo »

aka Jim on HexChat
SyncroScales
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SyncroScales »

Thanks for the link.

But,

Linux Mint xfce 20.2.

In Passwords and Keys the lists are empty and there is no Login. The other three options are there. GnuPGP keys, OpenSSH keys, Certificates - System Trust (This has certificates).

Not automatic log-in.

I ran Rkhunter and got some errors, but am unable to open the .log file. I could post that?

I ran chkrootkit:
Searching for suspicious files and dirs, it may take a while... The following suspicious files and directories were found:
/usr/lib/debug/.build-id /usr/lib/debug/.dwz /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/PyQt5/uic/widget-plugins/.noinit /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/matplotlib/tests/baseline_images/.keep /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/tldextract/.tld_set_snapshot /usr/lib/modules/5.4.0-77-generic/vdso/.build-id /usr/lib/modules/5.4.0-89-generic/vdso/.build-id /usr/lib/modules/5.4.0-88-generic/vdso/.build-id /usr/lib/modules/5.4.0-74-generic/vdso/.build-id /usr/lib/jvm/.java-1.11.0-openjdk-amd64.jinfo
/usr/lib/debug/.build-id /usr/lib/debug/.dwz /usr/lib/modules/5.4.0-77-generic/vdso/.build-id /usr/lib/modules/5.4.0-89-generic/vdso/.build-id /usr/lib/modules/5.4.0-88-generic/vdso/.build-id /usr/lib/modules/5.4.0-74-generic/vdso/.build-id
Could this be one of the add-ons or plug-ins added to Chromium?

Could it be reparing and updating the kernel in recovery mode?
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

I hate keyring and delete it completely. Never had a problem after nuking it.

viewtopic.php?p=1921445#p1921445
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

If, when Chromium was first installed and first opened, if you'd hit "Continue" a couple of times it would never have happened again.

It does happen if you do your install not wanting to have to input the password on startup, the way I usually do an install unless otherwise wanted.

To fix -
Close Chromium if open.

Open the file manager,
Press Ctrl+H or choose to "Show hidden files" from menu then go to

.local > share > keyrings

Move the content (mark and Ctrl+X) to some backup folder.

Open Chrome, there will be a pop up asking you to set a keyring password - leave it blank,

Click on -
Continue
Continue

If everything works, you can delete the backup you saved earlier and / or put the password files back where they were.
Jymm
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Chromium asking for keyring daemon?

Post by Jymm »

rm ~/.local/share/keyrings/*
Now open Chrome, if it asks you for your password, do not enter one choose Continue each time and ignore any warnings. – xinthose Apr 24 '17 at 18:54

This should work. I have used it many times on many different OS's. I had done it on my new Mint Mate installation not 10 minutes before my original post. I found this command on a post to clear the password requirement for Chromium. Try running Bleachbit, then reboot and try doing the command the first thing after rebooting.
This is what you should see:
keyring.png
Just keep hitting continue and ignore warnings.
Last edited by Jymm on Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timmn1 »

When I tried that, all I got was a window with a picture of two keys, and under that was "This collection seems to be empty".
Someday, maybe I'll figure out exactly what the hell I'm doing.
SyncroScales
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SyncroScales »

There are no keys in there.

When I have used Windwos and uninstaleld or deleted programs I also had to go into C:/User/AppData/Local(usually)/The program and potentially other directories for that program

I then had to delete that because Windows did not, preferences, history and user information was left behind.

I don't understand where to do this for Linux Mint xfce 20.2. Or Linux Mint.

Linux doesn't install evrything in the exact same directories.

When I uninstalled Chromium from the Software Manager, shut-down, reboot, re-installed Chromium from Software Manager - It opened to the exact same page I left off at.

How do I do a completely clean re-install? I thought and read that the Software Manager would handle all of that. It does not seem to do so.
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timmn1 »

I haven't tried this myself, but I was told that the following would totally delete everything, the only problem is that it has to be done from Terminal. The easiest way to get into Terminal is to use the icon in the bar at the bottom of the screen.

Then type

Code: Select all

sudo apt purge chromium-browser 
it will ask for your password, type it in, and hit Enter.

I know enough about Linux to be extremely dangerous, hopefully, others here will confirm the above.
Someday, maybe I'll figure out exactly what the hell I'm doing.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

timmn1 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:24 am I haven't tried this myself, but I was told that the following would totally delete everything, the only problem is that it has to be done from Terminal. The easiest way to get into Terminal is to use the icon in the bar at the bottom of the screen.

Then type

sudo apt purge chromium-browser 
it will ask for your password, type it in, and hit Enter.

I know enough about Linux to be extremely dangerous, hopefully, others here will confirm the above.
The OP has stated they are running LM20.2. If you check the Linux Mint 20.x and LMDE 4 Instructions for Installing Chromium you'll see that is not the correct package name.

Additionally, I do not see where the OP has stated how they originally installed Chromium. That needs to be known before describing the best way to remove it and all its bookmarks, etc.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
SyncroScales
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SyncroScales »

Through Software Manager. Changed settings and installed some add-ons/extensions.

Removed add-ons and extentions from Chromium. Then uninstalled from Software Manager. Then re-installed from Software Manager.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

SyncroScales wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:52 amWhen I have used Windwos and uninstaleld or deleted programs I also had to go into C:/User/AppData/Local(usually)/The program and potentially other directories for that program

I then had to delete that because Windows did not, preferences, history and user information was left behind.

I don't understand where to do this for Linux Mint xfce 20.2. Or Linux Mint.
Check in your user's Home directory for a hidden files/directories related to Chromium. That is the location comparable to the one you described for Windows. In Thunar, select View > Show Hidden Files.

I do not have a current installation of Chromium to be able to give you specifics, but it is my understanding the files would be in the ~/.config/chromium directory.
SyncroScales wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:10 am Through Software Manager. Changed settings and installed some add-ons/extensions.

Removed add-ons and extentions from Chromium. Then uninstalled from Software Manager. Then re-installed from Software Manager.
Those extensions were in Software Manager? Or you installed them from another location?

I ask because I read that one might need to be logged in to their Google account to install certain extensions. I do not know if there might be anything saved on your Google account which might be affecting what see on your computer.
Jymm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jymm »

This is a long term bug, here is a post from 2014.

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/othe ... g-password

Screenshot at 2021-10-27 07-10-15.png
Hi Colin,

Try this fix straight from the horses mouth:

https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/othe ... 7/#msg3907
Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 04:24:15 PM by Jerry
Don't believe half of what you see and none of what you hear

- Lou Reed
SyncroScales
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SyncroScales »

Thanks Jymm and SMG.

So this is mainly or only and xfce thing? Nobody has had this happen in MATE or Cinnamon, something else?

Those extensions were in Software Manager? Or you installed them from another location? 
Not logged into a Google account. I read that Google might be permanently changing this so you can't use Chrome or Chromium(?) without being logged in to your Google account. I don't know how this is going. The extensions are through the google chrome web/app store.https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

SyncroScales wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:26 pm I read that Google might be permanently changing this so you can't use Chrome or Chromium(?) without being logged in to your Google account. I don't know how this is going. The extensions are through the google chrome web/app store.https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions
Chrome is Google's proprietary browser. Chromium is an open-source product. They are two different browsers.

I do not know if adding Chrome extensions to Chromium (the open-source browser) might have relevance to the issue which prompted you to open this topic. I do not know enough about the differences between the browsers to be able to say. Maybe someone else will know.
SyncroScales
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SyncroScales »

But Google still uses Chromium code? Or has put things in there a few times? I know they are different, but sometimes it seems the line is blurred.

I don't know where else to get Chromium extensions. When clicking Settings (three dot button/icon) - More Tools - Extensions. It goes to the Google Chrome web/app store.

SMG: I also uninstalled Chromium from the Software Manager. Powered down. Restart. Re-installed from Software Manager and have not put anything into Chromium. I have barely used it. A few random web-pages that were slow to load in Firefox just to see if there was a difference. It's empty. Except for how it opened to where I left off when I had uninstalled it. This is why I was asking about app data or extra files left behind.

The message also popped up again, I just pressed Cancel. Then I read the links. I'll try that.
Jymm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jymm »

I believe that it keeps your user profile and the same .config setting when you uninstall, so if you uninstall and reinstall they start up on the same place. I think you need to go into home>check show hidden files.> .config and delete the chrome/chromium folder/files at the very least. There maybe more. Firefox did this with Firefox and Firefox ESR for a long time, but now at least the Ubuntuzilla version now has separate user profiles and .config files.
This might give you the hint you need.
    It is strongly recommended to make a backup of your Firefox/Thunderbird/Seamonkey user profile, just in case. This is stored in your home directory. Firefox and Seamonkey profiles are stored in the .mozilla directory, Thunderbird profile is stored in .thunderbird or .mozilla-thunderbird directory.
    (Chromium does not have a home> .chromium directory so I don't know where it stores user profiles)

I came from Ubuntu Mate and was using the third party Chromium clone application Slimjet to avoid snaps and it had the same keyring bug.

Return to “Software & Applications”