How to always open app on top

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rick75230
Level 1
Level 1

How to always open app on top

Post by Rick75230 »

I'm running Mint 20, Mate 64-bit.

How do I set it that whenever I open an app from a panel it always opens as the top window with focus the way MS Windows does?

I often have a browser as full window and other apps open under that.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to always open app on top

Post by Hoser Rob »

I haven't used mate for a while but I'm sure there's a setting for that under window manager settings.

Or, what I do to avoid screen/panel clutter is multiple workspaces. Many new Linux users seem to resist the idea of having multiple switchable workspaces/desktops. i don't under stand why, if there's one feature of Linux I couldn't do without that's it.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

with focus the way MS Windows does?
How do you mean?
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shedyed »

I think he means "New window gets focus" so anything he types (or clicks on) will work on the window that just appeared
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

shedyed wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:54 pm I think he means "New window gets focus" so anything he types (or clicks on) will work on the window that just appeared
Sure--that is MATE default. Perhaps op is using Compiz as windows manager. You can assign always on top attributes,
as well as always under, etc.

@Rick75230
If using Compiz go to Control Panel/ Desktop/Windows and switch windows manager to Marco and test there.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Rick75230
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rick75230 »

Apparently "open ANY new window ON TOP" is NOT the Mate default--the way it IS in Windows.

(Apologies for the CAPS. I tried bold and italics and they're barely noticeable with this font.)

Regarding "multiple desktops", that is NOT the problem. It's something like--I have the browser open as a max window, I want to upload a meme, and I open a file manager to see the memes as thumbnails. In Windows a new app opens on top BECAUSE IT IS THE MOST RECENT OPENING. It also gets the focus.

"The focus" means the active window. In Windows, when you open a new app, Windows automatically puts that window on top AND makes that the active window.

In Mint, the app opens UNDER other apps.

And for folks responding, PLEASE DON'T tell me "I'm sure there's a setting." I need to KNOW what the setting is.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Rick75230 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:18 pm Apparently "open ANY new window ON TOP" is NOT the Mate default--the way it IS in Windows.

(Apologies for the CAPS. I tried bold and italics and they're barely noticeable with this font.)

Regarding "multiple desktops", that is NOT the problem. It's something like--I have the browser open as a max window, I want to upload a meme, and I open a file manager to see the memes as thumbnails. In Windows a new app opens on top BECAUSE IT IS THE MOST RECENT OPENING. It also gets the focus.

"The focus" means the active window. In Windows, when you open a new app, Windows automatically puts that window on top AND makes that the active window.

In Mint, the app opens UNDER other apps.

And for folks responding, PLEASE DON'T tell me "I'm sure there's a setting." I need to KNOW what the setting is.
Try creating a temporary new user in Users and Groups. Then log out and log back in as the new user.
Try it there. New users get a fresh set of config files.
Alternately boot into your install flash/dvd into live desktop and check operation there.
Here every app opens on top and has focus---always has on every MATE that I've used.
However I can change this using Compiz Settings with Compiz selected as Windows Manager
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Rick75230
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rick75230 »

all41 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:41 pm Try creating a temporary new user in Users and Groups. Then log out and log back in as the new user.
Try it there. New users get a fresh set of config files.
Alternately boot into your install flash/dvd into live desktop and check operation there.
Here every app opens on top and has focus---always has on every MATE that I've used.
However I can change this using Compiz Settings with Compiz selected as Windows Manager
I don't want to "try" guesswork, creating new users, etc. It should be a simple matter of a setting.

Return to “Software & Applications”