Anyone use kbd/mouse sharing over network with Mint & Windows?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bobmct
Level 2
Level 2

Anyone use kbd/mouse sharing over network with Mint & Windows?

Post by bobmct »

I have two desktops, my trusty Linux Mint and a Windows gaming because its required. I share my 32" monitor with a KVM but it doesn't reliably share the kbd and mouse between the two. I see that there are several utilities to share these devices over a network/LAN but none seem to work with Linux. Is anyone successfully using such a utility and if so please share the name of which one you are using?

I currently have separate kbds and mice which seeing that they share the same desktop space its a real PIA to use.

Thanks for any suggestions. :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Anyone use kbd/mouse sharing over network with Mint & Windows?

Post by Neil Edmond »

I use Barrier for that. It's in the repo, and there is an .exe you can download for Windows.
https://github.com/debauchee/barrier
bobmct
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bobmct »

Thanks Neil,
Just downloaded and installed on both. Question though ... other than the server IP is there anything one must do to make it connect as the log keeps showing connection failure but both machines can be ping'ed. Does any particular port need to be opened on the FW?

Thanks
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Yes, firewall rules will have to allow connection. I'm not sure exactly how to make that work. I don't use a firewall to block connections within my LAN, I only use a firewall to protect from outside intrusion. In other words, just turn ufw off in Mint , and disable the Windows firewall and see if you are able to connect.

Return to “Software & Applications”