A good data back up synchronize tool on Mint (in the repository and not in command line) ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

A good data back up synchronize tool on Mint (in the repository and not in command line) ?

Post by Menard »

All is in the title

In fact I have to add that I need a tool to compare after the back up is done by my own means ... not to impose me a back up as Timeshift do
then it compare the master with the back up and give the list of the new folders and new files, and so we can accept to apply the modifications
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: A good data back up synchronize tool on Mint (in the repositorty and no in command line) ?

Post by Larry78723 »

Take a look at FreeFileSync.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Re: A good data back up synchronize tool on Mint (in the repositorty and no in command line) ?

Post by Menard »

It is not in the Mint repositories

-----------

Waiting some pertinent suggestions I finally had a look on the MintInstall application and I ve found what seem to be the perfect tool in spite of its name... that sound as a bad joke or an ironic view, it is called Luckybackup

- GUI (qt..)
- incremental
- simulation mode
it gives a list of the modifications that it will apply but we can't act on this list to accept or not one item, but it would be redundant with the simulation feature, it is only longer

- works perfectly with External USB HDD
I used it a lot this morning (it is 6 pm here)
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: A good data back up synchronize tool on Mint (in the repository and not in command line) ?

Post by AndyMH »

unison
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Menard wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:52 am It is not in the Mint repositories...
Really?

ffs.jpg

You could also go to https://freefilesync.org/ and download it from there.

I've been using FreeFileSync for years, first on Win 7 and now in Linux Mint. It's perfectly safe to use.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Re: A good data back up synchronize tool on Mint (in the repository and not in command line) ?

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

FreeFileSync is not really in Mint repos, but it is available as a flatpak, you can look for it in the software manager.

Regards,

MN
Level 7

Post by Menard »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:26 pm
Really?
it takes 2.7 GB :shock:
when I looked for such a tool I typed <back up> that explains
--

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Menard wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:34 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:26 pm
Really?
it takes 2.7 GB :shock:
when I looked for such a tool I typed <back up> that explains
2.7GB? Where did you get that? In the Software Manager, the description says 12.7MB.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:48 am

2.7GB? Where did you get that? In the Software Manager, the description says 12.7MB.
On Mintinstall informations
Last edited by Menard on Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
--

RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

How did you install it Jennie??
If you install programs from .deb sources then they show up in Software Manager after installation.
I installed it via an AppImage, so that does not show up in Software Manager - only the flatpak version shows there for me (un-installed).
ffs.png
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Menard wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:05 am

LM 19.3 Software Manager:
ffs.png
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Menard wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:05 am

:?:
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

RIH wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:16 am
How did you install it Jennie??
If you install programs from .deb sources then they show up in Software Manager after installation.
I installed it via an AppImage, so that does not show up in Software Manager - only the flatpak version shows there for me (un-installed).
ffs.png
I don't remember how I installed it. I claim Senioritis. :oops:
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

My 19.3.

ffs.jpg
Jeannie

AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Don't use it, don't like it (prefer unison, a native linux app), so not installed. But I can confirm freefilesync is in software manager for LM20.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

And please see this recently resurrected thread for more information as to size issues with Flatpak: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=275123
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt install freefilesync
Lecture des listes de paquets... Fait
Construction de l'arbre des dépendances       
Lecture des informations d'état... Fait
E: Impossible de trouver le paquet freefilesync
How to set the terminal language in english ? I'd prefer
(there is nothing in the help for this "language" word)
--

JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Menard wrote: E: Impossible de trouver le paquet freefilesync
It's a Flatpak package, so apt won't work with that. Install it via Software Manager.

Edit: Adding Flatpak's documentation ...
https://docs.flatpak.org
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

JoeFootball wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:33 pm
Menard wrote: E: Impossible de trouver le paquet freefilesync
It's a Flatpak package, so apt won't work with that. Install it via Software Manager.

Edit: Adding Flatpak's documentation ...
https://docs.flatpak.org
OK but no I won't install 2.5 GB as I have a tool that takes less than 100 MB :) and works
--

Return to “Software & Applications”