Keyboard Layout has changed and I cannot reset it [Resolved]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kester
Level 5
Level 5

Keyboard Layout has changed and I cannot reset it [Resolved]

Post by Kester »

Hi,

I am running Mint 20.2 XFCE - My keyboard layout has changed from English UK to English US. I have not knowingly done anything that might have caused this so I presume it has been caused by a recent update. I have tried Menu > Settings > Keyboard to reset the keyboard to English UK but, despite the layout showing as English UK, the keys operate as per English US layout (i.e. Shift+2 gives @ and Shift+' gives " etc.).

I really need help with this one please. Cheers.

P.S. I hope this is the right section for my post - I know the keyboard itself is hardware but this seems a software issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kester
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Keyboard Layout has changed and I cannot reset it

Post by Kester »

Hi,

As I received no quick replies, I opted to use a three week old system image backup file. I also had one day old backups of my data files so I knew I could get the system back to normal eventually. I use Macrium Reflect for system image backups (my system dual boots with Windows 7 so I can run Macrium Reflect from Windows where I regularly image each partition on the computer and can restore an individual partition when necessary).

The Linux Mint partition restored in about 30 minutes and I was able to boot up Mint right away. I checked that the keyboard was working normally (i.e. English UK settings) and then allowed the system to update (there had been quite a few updates since the date of the backup image file). Once the system was updated I updated my data files from their backups and then reinstalled Grive2 (a GoogleDrive sync program for Linux) - this meant setting up Grive anew which was a fairly lengthy process as all the files I backup to GoogleDrive had to be downloaded. When there are many files, Grive tends to stop part way but when restarted, resumes where it left off. After all this, with a few minor cosmetic tasks I was able to get back to how things were immediately before the keyboard issue happened. With some relief, I found the keyboard still behaving as I required.

What caused the problem I just don't know but, whatever it was it would not allow any keyboard setting changes in the 'Menu > Settings > Keyboard' program. Even though my problem is now resolved, I would be grateful if anyone has any ideas on this matter and whether there could have been an alternative to restoring from a system image backup.

Cheers.

Return to “Software & Applications”