I need a Script to recreate my Desktop on any Distro or LM version

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

I need a Script to recreate my Desktop on any Distro or LM version

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have seen several posts where the users have a Standard Script they use, that enables them to recreate their favorite Profile, reinstall all the Apps that they want in the Menus, etc.

I looked at “apt update where you'll see the list, ”

And I could see most of the apps that I have installed, but not all of them.

One day, I am going to do a fresh install of LM 20.3 on my Daily Driver, and using Aptik is not going to do the trick, using it on a newer Version of LM, than what created the Backup for, in my case, 19.3 Cinnamon.

I tried that once on 20.2 and it totally made the test laptop inoperable, the Log showed more errors than installs.

Tony George
Explains that before you try that, but I always wonder “what if”.
Well, the “what if” was a failure, so now I want a Script to run, that will install the apps I want, and hopefully restore the Profile for each app?

Aptik is great for doing a fresh install, or upgrading another install in the same OS versions, 19.0 .... 19.3 etc.
but it won't work trying to overlay 19.3 to 20.3
https://teejeetech.com/aptik-3/

Anyone willing to teach me how?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Re: I need a Script to recreate my Desktop on any Distro or LM version

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

1st thing if to have separate "/" and "/home" partitions => when you re-install or install a new version, you don't lose your personal files and your profiles.

For apps, it is a bit more complicated:
Debs:
- you have apps installed from the distro repos, at the origin (Synaptic / State / Installed),
- apps installed from the diistro repos, by you (Synaptic / State / Installed (manually),
- apps installed outside the distro, from PPA or complementary repo (Synaptic / Origin / select the PPA or the repo and see at "now"),
- apps installed outside the distro, from various sources (Synaptic / Installed (local or obsolete).
=> lookt at this and make a list of the apps YOU installed
You can make a global list (all categories) with:

Code: Select all

apt list --installed
Flatpaks:
In a terminal, this will give you the list of installed flatpaks.

flatpak list --app
Snaps:
In a terminal,

snap list
AppImages:
Thay are where you copied them after download. I always use my '/home/user/Applications' for this.

Downloaded executable:
Some applications don't need to be installed, they can be run from their directory (example: Firefox and Thunderbird as downloaded from their website); they are where you copied them after download. I always use my '/home/user/opt' for this.

Apps with an install program:
Some applications are installed with a program (examples: FreeFileSync, FoxitReader, Calibre...). If they are installed in '/', just copy their name in a todo list; if they are installed in your '/home', they will still be there after a re-installation, provided you have separate partitions.

Apps you compiled and installed:
You will need to recompile and to reinstall them.

So, no automated script will be able to re-install your apps after a new installation.

You should keep todo list, with the tasks to do after an installation (apps deletion, apps installation, all personalizations you are used to).

Regards,

MN
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

MikeNovember wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:26 am Hi,
...snip...
So, no automated script will be able to re-install your apps after a new installation.

You should keep todo list, with the tasks to do after an installation (apps deletion, apps installation, all personalizations you are used to).

Regards,

MN
Thank you,
I try to keep a 'ToDo list' but often times, just forget to keep it up.
"oh, this is just a tiny little thing, I will remember it" .... but I won't... :oops:
Last edited by AZgl1800 on Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

My solution is rather simplistic. Using the text editor I maintain a current list of extra applications to install. Being generic it downloads and installs the most current version available based on whatever distro release is being used, think LM 19, 19.1 20.1 20.2 etc.

Example: In terminal enter: sudo apt-get install grsync k3b kmymoney showfoto pithos handbrake

As tastes change you merely add to or delete from your list.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

If there was a way to do this with a script reliably I strongly suspect many here would have known about it for years.

IOW I don't think such a thing exists or is possible'.

I use a separate /home and that really does help with the user config. It is possible for old hidden app config files to fail with newer releases but it's unusual.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:33 am IOW I don't think such a thing exists or is possible'.
Yes it is, but it took me the best part of two weeks (I did it to find out if I could) and is highly personalised to me. Helps to have a separate home partition so I didn't have to worry about config files. If I had to deal with the config files I would say that it was practically impossible - it would take ages. The script runs to over 1000 lines and the supporting files (all the debs required to install) is +1GB.

Not for the faint hearted and some bash-fu required!
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Software & Applications”