What is Chrome keychain password?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
walterdowis
Level 3
Level 3

What is Chrome keychain password?

Post by walterdowis »

I just installed Google Chrome into Linux Mint from a .deb file. When I opened Chrome it asks that I create a keychain password. What's the purpose of this password, what's it for?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
donten
Level 4
Level 4

Re: What is Chrome keychain password?

Post by donten »

I was just reading that Google is going to force logging in to Google...Perhaps now just starting Google Chrome is grounds for forcing you to login to Google. It's all about the benjamins, likely.
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

walterdowis wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:21 pm I just installed Google Chrome into Linux Mint from a .deb file. When I opened Chrome it asks that I create a keychain password. What's the purpose of this password, what's it for?
Do you have auto login set for your account? Or put another way, do you have to enter a password to login to your account?

If you don't enter a password to login, then your personal keychain remains locked until such a time that you enter your password. This is what Chrome is prompting you to do, in order that it can securely store credentials. AIUI Chrome doesn't have its own secure storage.

The same occurs if you change your login password, but don't update your keychain password.

You can open the Mint application for 'Passwords and Keys' to view any credentials stored within.
donten
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donten »

I had this issue when I forgot a password on a seldom used system. I set a new one, and the message about a mismatch started popping up...If you do what dave0808 suggests, you can repair the situation.

This will give you a thorough explanation:

https://itsfoss.com/seahorse/

Excuse me for the bad joke, earlier :oops:

Return to “Software & Applications”