Firefox won't delete "site data" RESOLVED

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Firefox won't delete "site data" RESOLVED

Post by WHVW »

Hi All:

Well, that's about it.

Yes, I have checked the "Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed" box. Yet still, after being closed and re-opened, although the cookies are gone, some site data always remains. LM 19.3, LM 20, doesn't matter, something always remains.
Is there a fix?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Firefox won't delete "site data"

Post by xenopeek »

Which site? Anything that might be related to Firefox startup?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

In the settings of Firefox, also check: Delete history when Firefox closes (the exact wording may differ)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

although the cookies are gone, some site data always remains.
What is your test to prove some site data remains?
Do you click on this:
ff1.png
And then click Remove All - Save Changes?
ff2.png
Doesn't that delete all of it?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Code: Select all

rm -r ~/.cache/mozilla
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

xenopeek:
I wondered about that, so I tried to opening FF with nothing "left over". Yet, there was still some site data left over. Perhaps it is from FF's "preferences" page itself. Is there a way to read that "site data"? That would answer the question definitively.

Pjotr:
I don't want to delete the history (although I wish there was a way to separate it from FF, so I could read it without it being accessible to FF itself). Are you saying that site data and history are one, or at least share files?

Pjotr:
Would not

rm -r ~/.cache/mozilla
delete everything? Profile, bookmarks etc.?

Thank you
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

WHVW wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:43 pm [Would not

rm -r ~/.cache/mozilla
delete everything? Profile, bookmarks etc.?
Nope. All that important stuff is under ~/.mozilla
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

mikeflan

Yes, that screen is what I use. Deletes cookies, but not always site data.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Here is Mozilla: Manage local site storage settings which describes how to clear all the settings including the Firefox cache.

Maybe there is a setting in that list you have not cleared. If that does not help, please give us an idea of what "site data" is not being cleared.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

SMG:

Yes, I am familiar with that Mozilla page. One option I would happily go for (if it existed, which, unless I've missed it, it does not) is block all sites from storing data, as differentiated from cookies which FF will delete.
As a matter of fact, blocking all sites from storing "site data" would be my preferred solution.
I will try Pjotr's

rm -r ~/.cache/mozilla
I know that will work.
As far as what site data it is, there is a strange directory ~/.cache/mozilla/firefox/a2qapgbf.default-release/cache2/doomed that cycles through varying numbers of files- quite an animated display if your using the GUI. However, when explored at the command line, these files can be seen with cat. I can see the names of sites at the top of the files, but I don't know how to view them (other than looking at sequences of numbers and letters). I think that deleting "doomed" would be a more surgical approach to eliminating site data, I'll experiment.
But if there is a way to prevent all sites from storing "site data" that would be best.

Thanks
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

WHVW wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:49 am As far as what site data it is, there is a strange directory ~/.cache/mozilla/firefox/a2qapgbf.default-release/cache2/doomed
It seems that you are seeking a forensic grade solution...
Clicking Remove All Websites followed by Save Changes (see mikeflan's screenshot above) effectively removes all site data.
Also you can always start Firefox in Private mode if you don't care about latest browsing history.
About doomed of cache2, it is used by the disk cache for session and should be cleared after restart.
You can improve cache-related privacy by changing Firefox's content caching settings. Open about:config page and set to false
browser.cache.disk.enable
browser.cache.offline.enable
and to zero
browser.cache.disk.capacity
-=t42=-
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

WHVW wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:49 am One option I would happily go for (if it existed, which, unless I've missed it, it does not) is block all sites from storing data, as differentiated from cookies which FF will delete.
As a matter of fact, blocking all sites from storing "site data" would be my preferred solution.
On the FF Settings > Privacy & Security page the first section is Enhanced Tracking Protection. Are you using Standard, Strict, or Custom? Expand the boxes to see your options.

I do not see where there is an option to not any data be stored, but maybe you would prefer Strict or Custom modes rather than Standard.

t42's suggestion of always being in Private Browsing mode also seems like it would help you achieve your goal.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

t42, SMG :

I really like those "about:config" solutions. If I may hazard a guess, I would suspect that
browser.cache.disk.capacity (being set to 0)
will do exactly what I want: no site data stored on disk; at worst I would suspect, that it would either: a. give up or switch to volatile memory, which by its very nature would not survive very long after power down.
Thank you all very much

Return to “Software & Applications”