Is there an Irfanview batch renaming program

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Is there an Irfanview batch renaming program

Post by HappyLinux »

Irfanview has a feature that allows you to easily rename image files in bulk.

Is there a program that can do the same?

I went looking but all I can find are instructions on how to use command line which is too complicated for me to handle.

Do any of the common image editors/managers/organisers have a similar built in feature?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Is there an Irfanview batch renaming program

Post by ugly »

I've never used Irfanview. Is there something special it does for renaming that is different from other bulk renaming programs?

Linux Mint has a built in program for bulk renaming program. It is called Bulky and comes up as 'File Renamer' in the Cinnamon program menu.

It's fairly new, so it's a bit rough around the edges.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I know of two good GUI options for batch renaming:
- GPRename
- XnConvert

I'm not familiar with Bulky yet, but that, too, looks like a good option.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
donalduck
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donalduck »

one more:

converseen

main drawbacks: more steps to achieve what irfanview does in 3 clicks, and change files date, thus you need another tool/command to restore original date...
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

I think gThumb will do that. Isn't Bulky Xenopeek's baby?
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
Debian Support. Deb 12/13 Trixie 6.7.9
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

ugly wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:20 am I've never used Irfanview. Is there something special it does for renaming that is different from other bulk renaming programs?

Linux Mint has a built in program for bulk renaming program. It is called Bulky and comes up as 'File Renamer' in the Cinnamon program menu.

It's fairly new, so it's a bit rough around the edges.
Irfanview is basically an image viewer with some handy features. Only basic graphics editing like drawing or painting but it has easy to use image resize, cropping, bulk image conversion (jpg to bmp etc) and bulk renaming. Plus other stuff like being able to handle almost every image type just like VLC can handle almost every video type. Irfanview is one of those must have lightweight but very powerful programs.

When I finally switch to Linux I'd like a native program that's just as useful.

As for how Irfanview bulk renames files here's a couple of website links to what I used to learn.

http://irfanview.helpmax.net/en/file-me ... ionrename/
I used that one mostly. There's no pictures but has detailed instructions.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums ... irfanview/
This one shows pictures of an older version of Irfanview with a different layout than is current, but the functionality is the same.

The main page has the usual sections.

A section for File Exploring/Navigation where you select the file(s) you want and then add them to the Input section. Select your destination folder and how you want the files renamed to. And then tell it to get on with it.

Same window for converting file types.

For me I need ease of use like this.

I have hundreds of thousands of image files with the bulk within zip folders. The zip folders are named but the images inside are basically numbers. So I've been renaming them to "Image 01, Image 02" etc named after the zip folder and all that.

So if there's a Linux program that can do this easily in a GUI then I'd be happy.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

File Manager (Nemo) has bulk renaming. Just select the files, right click on rename then... I have not used it.

The advantage of the nemo approach is the choices for finding files then selecting. I will look into it. For my previous renames, I created commands and saved them in a text file. They were usually simple. Standardise all JPEG files as .jpg:

Code: Select all

find . -name "*.JPEG"     -print0 | tac | xargs -0 -L 1 rename 's/\.JPEG$/\.jpg/'
find . -name "*.JPG"      -print0 | tac | xargs -0 -L 1 rename 's/\.JPG$/\.jpg/'
MAlfare

Post by MAlfare »

HappyLinux wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:22 am Irfanview has a feature that allows you to easily rename image files in bulk.
Is there a program that can do the same?
After leaving MS Windows some years ago, I had to leave IrfanView too. Since then, and even before (in Windows), I use(d) XnView MP.
It can rename Pictures, taking the data from the EXIF-data of the picture.
I like my pictures named in this way:
2021_1009_170949.JPG
which is done with this rule:
{EXIF:Date Taken[Y-md_HMS]}
in XnView.
There are many other possibilities.
XnView MP:
https://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

GPrename, it's in the repos
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

I've used the (free) XnViewMP viewer, which has powerful batch conversion tools, for years - you'll see on the page they also have a dedicated conversion tool XnConvert that might or not go beyond what's in the viewer:

https://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/

"MP" is the cross-platform version that works on Windows, etc.)

Apart from decent documentation, a good Youtube tutorial series has several videos on batch:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... rYu89J25ZB

That said, if it's only simple bulk file renaming the Thunar (XFCE) and I'm pretty sure Nemo (Cinnamon) file managers have basic functionality.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

I'll keep an eye out on every program suggested here for when I eventually install Linux.

Cheers everyone.
freshminted
Level 4
Level 4

Post by freshminted »

Irfanview works perfectly well in Linux running under Wine, including the batch rename (I just tried it).
Complete World Domination within five years.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

freshminted wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:32 am Irfanview works perfectly well in Linux running under Wine, including the batch rename (I just tried it).
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out on that as well.
bsfema
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bsfema »

If you are looking for a good file renamer with a GUI, then I'll recommend https://github.com/BSFEMA/linux_file_rename_utility
It's pure python3+Gtk. You can setup Nemo actions and replace Bulky with it.

Return to “Software & Applications”