Using ASCII codes in Mint only work here and there - remap help needed

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
axrusar
Level 6
Level 6

Using ASCII codes in Mint only work here and there - remap help needed

Post by axrusar »

I duckduckgoed it and found combination keys CTRL+Shift+U to be the shortcut to type ascIi codes but it is not working for me on Mint everywhere i want to type.
I write in Spanish, and need to type the letter "ñ".

If you open the character map application it shows :

So i am able to invoke the shortcut, then type the number and hit Enter. I do get the ñ popping up but only in the terminal, web browser or a simple notepad document.
It does not work on my signal messenger, whatsapp web, or notepadqq where i need it the most.

Is there a way to remap a keyboard key with the letter? for example i never use the "pause/break" key on my keyboard, i could assign the letter ñ to it.
Tips are welcome.
thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Using ASCII codes in Mint only work here and there - remap help needed

Post by xenopeek »

Doesn't the compose key work in those apps? To type ñ I do:
- press compose key + ~ key (shift + ` key on my keyboard)
- press n
that combines them into ñ.

You can set the position of the compose key in keyboard settings > layouts > options. I have it set to right Ctrl key.

If you have a keyboard layout with dead keys you don't even need the compose key; when you type ~ character it won't appear until you type space next or press the n key to make ñ.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

On a physical Spanish keyboard the ñ is in fact on the board directly, so it is assumed that the question implies that you use a US-English keyboard physically.

For users of those and frankly typing "internationally" or not I quite advise setting the "English (US), English (intl., with AltrGr dead keys)" layout in the keyboard settings. It's a proper superset of the US-English layout and has many keys such as ñ directly available as well, as in this case via AltGr-n (where AltGr is Right-Alt if it's not labelled AltGr on your board). See the layout picture in the keyboard settings when you set it or below.

xenopeeks's advised compose method has the advantage of not needing to remember anything in the sense that with compose, AltGr-' e is é in much the same way as AltGr-Shift-` n is ñ but you'd find that e.g. AltGr-e and AltGr-n is much faster if you use just a few regularly --- and both those and any potential rest you can still compose if you want to anyway.

As basically always happens with this question there'll now be 20 or so additional replies advising even on things such as copy-pasting out of a font table but I'd quite advise to not pay anything other than the layout method and/or his compose reply any mind.

Of course, also note that if the assumption of a physical US-English keyboard was wrong you'll likely just want to set the proper layout in the keyboard settings...

axrusar
Level 6
Level 6

Post by axrusar »

rene wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:58 am
For users of those and frankly typing "internationally" or not I quite advise setting the "English (US), English (intl., with AltrGr dead keys)" layout in the keyboard settings.

THANK YOU Rene!!!!!
I switched English US to English (intl., with AltrGr dead keys) and now i have the ñ in the right ALT key + n.
Problem solved.
I also use the Russian keyboard and my keyboard is a mess of letters, this solved my problem.
Thank you again! :D
Linux Mint Una Cinnamon 20.3 Kernel: 5.15.x | Quad Core I7 4.2Ghz | 24GB Ram | 1TB NVMe | Intel Graphics
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Very good to finally see that bit of advise fall on fertile ground; it's usually snowed under by a mountain of "alternatives" :)

Return to “Software & Applications”