[Solved] Difficulty with Permissions: Trouble accessing video files from VScode

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jewbb
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Difficulty with Permissions: Trouble accessing video files from VScode

Post by jewbb »

Greetings -
I am running a Julia program with the VideoIO library and I am trying to load a video from my system into VScode. This was working on my Windows machine, so I believe it is a permissions issue in Linux.

I have tried:
(1) installing VLC as the media player in hopes that it was some sort of error with software, and
(2) using the full path name of the video in my code.

I am not yet to the point where I can comfortably tinker around with permissions in the Linux file system, so I humbly ask for some assistance :)
- Thanks, JB
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ke1th3216
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Difficulty with Permissions: Trouble accessing video files from VScode

Post by ke1th3216 »

G'day

Congrats on a wise move.

VScode is a programming level text editor. I don't know how it will run a video file, other than call a designated program to run the file like you would when you open the file in a viewer. (Perhaps the windows versions of VScode attended to this automagically, and MS hasn't migrated that feature to the linux version.

VLC is one video viewer. You didn't say if your file ran in VLC

Another thing, when you say running a Julia program, do you mean you're running Mint Julia?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

jewbb wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:14 pm Greetings -
I am running a Julia program with the VideoIO library and I am trying to load a video from my system into VScode.
Does that mean you used VScode to write a program in Julia and that program uses the "OpenCV (Open Computer Vision) Video I/O library" and the Julia program is supposed to open a video file?
This was working on my Windows machine, so I believe it is a permissions issue in Linux.
Try

Code: Select all

ls -l the-video-file
I have tried:
(1) installing VLC as the media player in hopes that it was some sort of error with software, and
And what happened? Run vlc in a terminal to see more information.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
jewbb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jewbb »

Thank you all.
After a lot of digging and configuring, I figured out the issues. It was with the version of the libraries that I had installed.
Sorry for the late response, I have been slammed with schoolwork.
Thanks everyone for your help! :)

Return to “Software & Applications”