vlc player 3.0.9.2 vetinari (via Linux mint 20.2 - uma 20.04 - xfce)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bgoodwin91006
Level 3
Level 3

Re: vlc player 3.0.9.2 vetinari (via Linux mint 20.2 - uma 20.04 - xfce)

Post by bgoodwin91006 »

I'm not aware of a way to directly configure VLC for a specific file format. Generally speaking, you would use your file browser to select the file you want to play and the browser would pick a player. However, I believe you can use the 'MIME type editor' to configure all mp3 files to use vlc. The MIME type editor can be found under 'settings' from the main menu button in your desktop tray. Instead of opening vlc first, you would use your file browser to select a file to be played. With MIME type set, clicking on an mp3 file should invoke vlc.

Another thing you can do from a file browser, is to right click on an mp3 file. This will open a pop-up menu from which you can choose an app to play the file. My experience has been that after using this method to designate the app, the browser will use that app for that specific file type.

If vlc is not a 'must' for you, Rhythmbox is a music player and as the default player, you can activate a playlist-file directly, simply by clicking on it from your file browser. My wife does this to listen to operas that have been broken into several parts but include a playlist. Rhytmbox can also be used to create playlists.

Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Bob G.
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

1) Start Menu > System Settings (found on menu on the left favourites) > Preferences > Preferred Applications.

2) VLC > Tools > Preferences > show settings > all > Playlist > Folder

3) Select Media in the menu bar. A drop-down menu will appear where you can then click on Open file… Browse through your computer's files for the WPL file you want to play. Select the file and click Open.
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
Debian Support. Deb 12/13 Trixie 6.7.9
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

linux wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:27 pm i don't see folder or media. vlc player.png
Ah yes, slight problem. Open up the sofware manager and search for VLC and install VLC (FLATHUB). This will load a newer version which has the folder in the location that I directed you to.

Hold shift and hit printscreen. Then select the area you wish to capture and save.
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
Debian Support. Deb 12/13 Trixie 6.7.9
squiggles3
Level 2
Level 2

Post by squiggles3 »

linux wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:51 am hi mh,

found flathub in software manager. thank you. i see flathub, but when i click on it, it takes me to something different - flatpak

whats the diff btw. vlc and flathub...it seems like flathub is a vlc product

mh - thats a large 800mb file, you're smart, you just need to prove it again ;) can't we just fix the vlc i have?

lets meet halfway - how about i go to update manager and download the latest one - which version will work to open window media player media files

oh about attaching screenshots - shift + printscreen, okay thats half the battle - now i don't want to waste time and saving it and then attaching it here, how can i just paste into here

thx mh
Flathub is like an app store that delivers Flatpaks. Flatpaks are, essentially, a file format for applications that work universally across all Linux distributions. Just like .exe files are for Windows, .deb files are for Debian Linux and it's derivatives Ubuntu, Linux Mint and .rpm files are for Fedora, CentOS, openSUSE Linux. Flatpak solves this fragmentation by being a single file format that can be installed across many distributions that would normally have their own specific file format.

Because of these features, Flatpak applications are built in a way that can ignore your particular systems idiosyncrasies. The trade-off being Flatpak file sizes are larger. So in the event that you are having issues with an application like VLC, the simplest solution for most people and especially new Linux users is to use the Flatpak version.

The other reason to choose the Flatpak application is because the application is usually much newer. Linux Mint 20.2 is very stable, it is stable because the applications are older and thoroughly tested and all the interconnected pieces are known to work together. So the version of VLC available to you normally is an older version that is known to work with all the other little pieces of your operating system. The version you have is probably 3.0.9.2, released on April 9, 2020. The Flatpak version is 3.0.16, released on June 18, 2021. That's more than a one year difference.

What Michael is trying to explain is that the feature you are looking for was not even part of the VLC program in version 3.0.9.2. The instructions they outlined apply to version 3.0.16, which you can get as a Flatpak from Flathub through the Linux Mint Software Manager. Just FYI, both versions will be kept on your system and sometimes it's hard to tell which is which in the menu. You may want to uninstall the other VLC before or after.

This is a little bit confusing for people who have come from Windows where everything is always the latest version. Imagine installing Windows Vista and trying to get support for that today. There are versions of Linux as old as Vista that still get official support from the developers to this day.

Hopefully this helps you understand Linux a little bit more.

Also, Linux is very well documented. Just do a quick internet search if you want to know more about something. In my experience Windows is very much the opposite.
squiggles3
Level 2
Level 2

Post by squiggles3 »

linux wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:36 pm i still haven't been able to get 800mb (not even for xmas ;(

you guys are very expensive invisible friends :)

you gotta work with me - i'm willing to do the manual labor of rebuilding all of my .wpl windows media player playlists by hand

can someone please tell me how to just open a ,wpl windows media player playlist and just get the titles in the order i had them, i don't even need it saved in text file, just let me view it. i will go one by one

remember i don't have access to windows anymore
You can open .wpl files in a text editor. All the lines that start with

Code: Select all

<media src=
are the files that belong to that playlist.

Return to “Software & Applications”