FADE IN PRO (format files)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
VZNT
Level 1
Level 1

FADE IN PRO (format files)

Post by VZNT »

Hi everyone!
I use FADE IN PRO (https://www.fadeinpro.com/) for write screenplays. Its one of the best screenwriting tools out there and it works almost perfectly in GNU/Linux. The only problem is that when you save the files you are writing on the system don't recognize the extension (.fadein), keeping the files like zip boxes with a .xml document inside. That makes the process quite annoying if you have to work with several files at a time. The ideal would be to use the software with his own extension and his own document/emblem (like it does in others OS), and open it in just one click. Any idea on how could I fix this?
Thank you!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: FADE IN PRO (format files)

Post by mikeflan »

Right click a .fadein file - Open With - Other Application - Select FadeinPro - click "Set as Default" - OK.
VZNT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VZNT »

Thank you for your response, mikeflan.
The problem here is that .fadein files are saved like zips, so if I set FADE IN PRO as default, it will be the default app for all zip files, not just .fadein ones...
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

it will be the default app for all zip files, not just .fadein ones.
This is not expected. Please do a file command on both a zip file and a .fadein file.
Here is what I get on a zip file:

Code: Select all

$ file test.zip
test.zip: Zip archive data, at least v2.0 to extract
VZNT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VZNT »

I'm sorry, I don't know exactly what I have to do whit this instructions. If I copy the code it give me a "command not found" result. Excuse my ignorance.
Thank you !
VZNT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VZNT »

I managed to do it (was quite simple, indeed :oops: ), but it gave me the same response:

$ file Untitled.fadein
Untitled.fadein: Zip archive data, at least v2.0 to extract (for the .fadein file)

$ file TestZip.zip
TestZip.zip: Zip archive data, at least v?[0x314] to extract (for the .zip file)
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

One option is to find the terminal command to start fadeinpro and do something like this in a terminal:

Code: Select all

fadeinpro Untitled.fadein
You can find the terminal command to start fadeinpro by opening the .desktop file in /usr/share/applications and look for Exec= . . .
VZNT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VZNT »

I can open Fade In Pro in a terminal with a command (fadein) or a .fadein file (fadein [file]), but what's the point? What I'm trying is to save the files like .fadein instead of .zip, so the program can recognize his own extension and open directly the files... (and get rid of the box and keep the Fade In appearance of the file, so I can recognize it easily).

Return to “Software & Applications”