Timeshift Saving and Location of SOLVED

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frostymusic
Level 5
Level 5

Timeshift Saving and Location of SOLVED

Post by frostymusic »

I am going to make more use of Time-shift. Now my Time-shift files are saved directly to my 1 and only SSD. Could they be saved to another location (external device) or even on a thumb-drive??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MAlfare

Re: Timeshift Saving and Location of

Post by MAlfare »

frostymusic wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:48 pm I am going to make more use of Time-shift. Now my Time-shift files are saved directly to my 1 and only SSD. Could they be saved to another location (external device) or even on a thumb-drive??
They can, and they should.
Destination can only be a ext4-partiton, on an thumb-drive for example.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

yes,
definitely do NOT use a save location on the same SSD/HDD as the OS is installed on.

that will lead eventually to disaster.

I divide my SSD into two partitions, and set Timeshift to use the 2nd partiation which I have named Backup

partitions.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
frostymusic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by frostymusic »

Thank you all for your thoughts, I am going to change my method of backing-up.
frostymusic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by frostymusic »

I checked my Timeshift/Snapshot folder....I have 483GB of timeshift files, I think I need to reduce the number of times it creates files.
frostymusic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by frostymusic »

...And do I store them on separate internal device or on an external device??
MAlfare

Post by MAlfare »

frostymusic wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:08 pm ...And do I store them on separate internal device or on an external device??
That is definitely your decision.
If you have both available, take one or the other. :lol:
frostymusic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by frostymusic »

Ya..but....on an internal device, connected to the motherboard, Linux will see the device as SATA?? An external device will depend on having a working USB port and cable.....internals are cheaper.....
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

frostymusic wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:01 pm I checked my Timeshift/Snapshot folder....I have 483GB of timeshift files, I think I need to reduce the number of times it creates files.
I have been down that road, and after a lot of experience with Timeshift, I have settled down to only 5 Daily backups, and 1 Weekly backup.

If something in particular needs to be saved Semi-Permanently, I just name the appropriate backup which makes it stay in the backup list until you manually delete that one.

Set the backups you want:
TS.png

name the ones you need to save Semi-Permanently:
TSbackups.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

frostymusic wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:48 pm I am going to make more use of Time-shift. Now my Time-shift files are saved directly to my 1 and only SSD. Could they be saved to another location (external device) or even on a thumb-drive??
A good start could also be Timeshift's homepage :
https://teejeetech.com/timeshift/
It's just one page and you'd learn how TS works and how to get the better of it by its developer.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
frostymusic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by frostymusic »

Yes, I now have an external 2TB disk to use to store Timeshift. I am also trying Pika Backup for saving Home directory??
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

You could use BackInTime for /home backup. It's in the Software Manager.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I have 483GB of timeshift files
This is unlikely, but not impossible. To see the true size of the Timeshift snapshots excluding extra hard links do this:

Code: Select all

sudo du -sh /timeshift/snapshots > ~/Desktop/timeshift_size
It will take a while to run. Then open timeshift_size on the desktop.

Nemo reports the wrong size of the folder due to hardlinks.
frostymusic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by frostymusic »

Tried running sudo du -sh /timeshift/snapshots > ~/Desktop/timeshift_size
No results as now I am not saving the snapshots internally but on an external device.
Doing a snapshot to the external device gave me 168gb snapshot, that was one initial snapshot and not having Timeshift set up to do more daily,weekly or monthly
snapshots.

So I will play with this a bit more.

My thanks to all who helped out! :D
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

frostymusic wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:08 pm Doing a snapshot to the external device gave me 168gb snapshot, that was one initial snapshot
168GB!!!! You must have enabled 'include all files in home'. Do not do that. Install another application to take care of your data. You have choices, I use backintime, another would be luckybackup. backintime can be installed from software manager. It works just like timeshift, but the default is to only backup files in home. So complementary to timeshift (if you use the defaults in timeshift not to save anything in home). That way, screw up your system, timeshift gets you back leaving your data alone, lose data and backintime gets it back leaving the system alone. I save my timeshift and backintime snapshots to the same ext4 partition on another drive, because the drive is internal/removable I have them running automatically, daily.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Timeshift, Backintime, and the others use a feature of Ext4 to save space. The first snapshot is a complete copy, about 20 GB for Timeshift. The rest of the snapshots have only changed files and are smaller, perhaps 1 GB. Unchanged files are just tiny links to the original. You need the special command, mentioned in other posts, to see the real disk usage.

I use a spare 60 GB SSD for Timeshift in my desktop and run it only manually after a kernel or similar major update, about once per fortnight. You can use a good brand of USB stick. That first big 12 ~ 20 GB snapshot can break cheap USB sticks. The other snapshots are tiny. Just remember to sync or eject after writes to USB storage.
frostymusic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by frostymusic »

Timeshift Type.png
Timeshift Type.png (8.36 KiB) Viewed 4014 times
IncludeExclude.png
IncludeExclude.png (7.1 KiB) Viewed 4014 times
Directories.png
That is how it is set for a daily setting.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

This is how you should have it set up:
Screenshot from 2021-12-15 19-24-01.png
then use a different utility such as backintime to take care of home.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
frostymusic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by frostymusic »

Okie Dokie...

Were still on backing up system, so I am looking at BackinTime 1.3.1 from website
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

frostymusic wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:04 pm Were still on backing up system, so I am looking at BackinTime 1.3.1 from website
You can install it from software manager. Version in software manager is 1.2.1, doesn't matter, it works.

Return to “Software & Applications”