Unable to copy username and/or password from Keepass to Firefox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
glass931
Level 1
Level 1

Unable to copy username and/or password from Keepass to Firefox

Post by glass931 »

Running 19.3 32bit Mate. Firefox no longer pastes data copied to the clipboard from KeePass.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SimonPeter
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Unable to copy username and/or password from Keepass to Firefox

Post by SimonPeter »

glass931 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:17 pm Running 19.3 32bit Mate. Firefox no longer pastes data copied to the clipboard from KeePass.
AFAIK, it automatically clears the clipboard after some time (this is an intentional safety feature).
There are also some websites that don't allow copy-paste and/or right-click in the Username and/or Password fields.

BTW I use KeepassXC (an improved but compatible version of Keepass) , and copy-paste works well in my case.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

using 64bit Cinnamon here, but I have several websites that I use, that will NOT allow any auto-paste from my Password Manager, one of which is a bank account....

PITA, but that is the way they do it.
this particular bank advertises "high security"
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
SimonPeter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SimonPeter »

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:36 pm using 64bit Cinnamon here, but I have several websites that I use, that will NOT allow any auto-paste from my Password Manager, one of which is a bank account....
I use the middle-click on my mouse (or three-finger-click on my touchpad) -- this is bound to the paste action (at least on my Debian KDE).
Last edited by SimonPeter on Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
trinitrotoluene
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trinitrotoluene »

Having same issues copying directly from KeePass to Firefox with 19.3 Cinnamon. Copy from KeePass to text editor is fine and copy from text editor to Firefox is fine. Just copy from KeePass to Firefox doesn't work anymore.
Wurlitzer28
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wurlitzer28 »

Experiencing the same issue IMMEDIATELY after an "update" to 19.3 I can no longer copy/paste into FireFox nor Chromium. I use KeePass to generate rather long/complex passwords and this is becoming difficult to manually enter into either of those 2 browsers. I updated in contemplation of moving to 20.x but doubt I'll ever do that now.

Tried numerous times to use: "about:config" in FireFox followed by "dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled" set to FALSE {which logically does not make sense} but I've tried it both TRUE and FALSE and still cannot paste a password into ANY website.

In Facebook some have suggested a fresh install of the OS. Sorry but that is swatting a fly with an RPG. AND, more to the point, I've seen this problem on numerous "help" sites dating back at least 6 years so it seems to come and go based upon when someone might update.
trinitrotoluene
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trinitrotoluene »

SimonPeter wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:19 pm
glass931 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:17 pm Running 19.3 32bit Mate. Firefox no longer pastes data copied to the clipboard from KeePass.
AFAIK, it automatically clears the clipboard after some time (this is an intentional safety feature).
There are also some websites that don't allow copy-paste and/or right-click in the Username and/or Password fields.

BTW I use KeepassXC (an improved but compatible version of Keepass) , and copy-paste works well in my case.
I've now switched to KeePassXC and it works great. Generally an improvement over standard KeePass. Thanks for the tip!

Still not sure why KeePass stopped working specifically with Firefox though.

Return to “Software & Applications”