Software to copy my CD music to mp3

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mawil1013
Level 1
Level 1

Software to copy my CD music to mp3

Post by mawil1013 »

What software is available to copy songs off my cds, as mp3 to put on my phone?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Software to copy my CD music to mp3

Post by ricardogroetaers »

You meant:
Extract (rip) the sounds from an audio CD.
There are some programs, but I have never tested them.
asunder
goobox
sound-juicer
soundkonverter
xcfa
ffmpeg (I suppose this program does that but it is command line, so a graphical interface for it is recommended)
Last edited by ricardogroetaers on Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

VLC will also do it..
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

mawil1013 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:10 pm What software is available to copy songs off my cds, as mp3 to put on my phone?
Copy the files from the CD or DVD to a folder on the computer.
Install Mobile Media Converter (MMC)
Open MMC and drag all the downloaded files to it.
Click on the box with "Conversion to:" and set it to MP3
Click on "Convert" and all the files will be converted and saved in the folder they came from, each conversion sitting beside the original format file.

A deb package here -
https://www.videohelp.com/software/Mobi ... -Converter

or tar from here -
https://www.miksoft.net/mobileMediaConverterDown.php

How to install -
http://ubuntuguide.net/how-to-install-m ... bit-ubuntu
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

RollyShed wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:47 am Copy the files from the CD or DVD to a folder on the computer.
That's unnecessarily time consuming. Something like Asunder (available in the Software Manager as a normal install or flatpak) will simply read the Audio CD directly and create MP3 files (if the relevant encoder is installed) into a directory based on Artist, Album Title, etc. It also supports OggVorbis, FLAC, etc and can do multiple formats at the same time. It can also lookup the CD track titles from "the internet" :wink:
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

asunder is what I use.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

dave0808 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:47 amSomething like Asunder (available in the Software Manager as a normal install or flatpak) will simply read the Audio CD directly and create MP3 files (if the relevant encoder is installed) into a directory based on Artist, Album Title, etc.
It decides where files go? I suspect copying what is wanted to the folder one wants things to go to wouldn't be any more time consuming. Also MMC will handle video files too, changing one type to another i.e. .avi to .mp4 or the other way and stripping the sound off as mp3, oog or what's wanted too.
Last edited by RollyShed on Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

havent ripped cds to mp3 on linux but when I did it on windows, I had the program setup to fetch cd data , then put the files in such folder structure: \Artist\Album\track # - songtitle.mp3
Having to do this manually ---- :roll:
Jymm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jymm »

sound-juicer also installs libmusicbrainz5-2
libmusicbrainz5-2 - MusicBrainz is a community music metadatabase that attempts to create a
comprehensive music information site.

That should put in your tag data. I don't rip CD's anymore so don't remember if it will output other formats than .wma.
Sound Converter can convert to .mp3 or .ogg in bulk. Audacity is great for single songs, and also allows you to normalize, amplify, increase treble and base, fade in and out and best to me edit long lead ins and lead outs.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

Asunder. It is easy to install, lots of options, and efficient. :!:
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-101 Cinn 6.0.4
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

dave0808 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:47 am
RollyShed wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:47 am Copy the files from the CD or DVD to a folder on the computer.
That's unnecessarily time consuming. Something like Asunder (available in the Software Manager as a normal install or flatpak) will simply read the Audio CD directly and create MP3 files (if the relevant encoder is installed) into a directory based on Artist, Album Title, etc. It also supports OggVorbis, FLAC, etc and can do multiple formats at the same time. It can also lookup the CD track titles from "the internet" :wink:
Is there any functional difference between the normal Asunder and Flatpak versions? I'd not be wanting the big 2GB of FPak for a few CDs I didn't rip years ago.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Rhythmbox for me
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

RollyShed wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:26 pm It decides where files go?
It's configurable. I've the "destination folder" set to $HOME/Music and then files go into "Artist"/"Album", but other options are available.
RollyShed wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:26 pm I suspect copying what is wanted to the folder one wants things to go to wouldn't be any more time consuming.
In your workflow, you "Copy the files from the CD or DVD to a folder on the computer" and then encode them. To me, the copying is a waste of time when a decent encoder will simply read the CD directly. But if it works for you, that's great. I'm not trying to convert you or anything. :D
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

I2k4 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:17 pm Is there any functional difference between the normal Asunder and Flatpak versions?
For the same version, they should be the same.

As we know, the advantage of the flatpak version is that it will contain any dependencies so you'll be able to follow any major version update, as opposed to the "normal" install, which may not be able to install the dependencies.

Return to “Software & Applications”