no desktop or menu icon for unfi controller 6.5.53 installation

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KingTut
Level 1
Level 1

no desktop or menu icon for unfi controller 6.5.53 installation

Post by KingTut »

Please forgive the noob posting. I'm an experience windows user finally making the long delayed switch to Linux for my daily driver.

I could not find any post dealing with this related or similar issues. I've downloaded Synology Unifi controller 6.5.53 and installed the .deb package with the software manager, but there is no desktop of menu item to launch the program. I experienced this with downloading and installing some amateur radio applications, notably wsjt-x. I built a new pc just for linux: AMD 5700-G, 32GB, 1TB NVME, 2x2TB SATA flash RAID 1. I had to use the edge version of Mint (20.2) to get it to recognize the Ryzen 3 APU, LAN, etc, though the bluetooth still doesn't work.

As I said, I downloaded the unifi .deb package from ui.com and installed it with no issues. But there was no icon anywhere to run it. I admit that I did not try to run it from the 'file manager' or terminal because I don't want to do that regularly. I then tried the Easy Unifi Script which confirmed that the controller was already installed on my box. I still don't comprehend the basic linux file/device structure though I have been able to use mdadm to RAID my storage drives and mount synology SMB shares. I could really use some help. I think I'm missing something basic here and would like to understand Linux so that I can switch my family over to it.

Do I simply need to add a desktop shortcut or is there something more fundamental I'm missing? Thanks for anything you can offer.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
KingTut
Level 1
Level 1

Re: no desktop or menu icon for unfi controller 6.5.53 installation

Post by KingTut »

It appears that my issue has to do with the "unifi" user that the controller uses. I get the following error when trying to start the controller through /etc/init.d/unifi start
----------------------------------------------------
* Starting Ubiquiti UniFi Network application unifi Cannot set group id for user 'unifi'
Error validating user 'unifi'
-----------------------------------------------------
unifi is listed as a group in the system settings -> users and groups

Return to “Software & Applications”