(solved*) Unable to solve Davinci resolve- Unsupported GPU processing mode ERROR. With AMD graphics.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Does davinci run for you in linux?

Yes
50%
No - different error
No votes
Never tried
33%
No- Same problem
17%

Total votes: 6

MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Unable to solve Davinci resolve- Unsupported GPU processing mode ERROR. With AMD graphics.

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

The file "iceland-amdgcn-mesa-mesa3d.bc" is part of the package "libclc-amdgcn", available in Mint repos.

See the package content at https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/all/l ... n/filelist.

As per the package content, the file will be installed in "/usr/lib/clc/iceland-amdgcn-mesa-mesa3d.bc" as expected.

Description of this package: "libclc is an open implementation of the OpenCL C programming language, as specified by the OpenCL 1.1 Specification. This package contains support for the amdgcn (AMD GPU) platform. Supported GPU families: Southern Islands and newer."

Since AMD Radeon 530 is based on GCN technology (as all the 500 series), and is newer than Southern Islands (2012 for Southern Islands, 2017 for Radeon 530), and since the file "iceland-amdgcn-mesa-mesa3d.bc" is expected, the installation of "libclc-amdgcn" package might work and solve the error.

So, try:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libclc-amdgcn
then, again, clinfo.

As usual, make a system snapshot with Timseshift before trying this.

Regards,

MN
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Unable to solve Davinci resolve- Unsupported GPU processing mode ERROR. With AMD graphics.

Post by MikeNovember »

SMG wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:50 am The reason I did not recommend using the open source OpenCL was because of indications it does not work well with AMD drivers and your clinfo output does show that problem.

=== CL_PROGRAM_BUILD_LOG ===
fatal error: cannot open file '/usr/local//usr/lib/clc/iceland-amdgcn-mesa-mesa3d.bc': No such file or directory
  Preferred work group size multiple              <getWGsizes:1200: create kernel : error -46>
Hi,

I have written a tutorial on this topic, see viewtopic.php?f=42&t=362544.

Regards,

MN
Level 1

Post by davinci reolve123 »

In midst of travel, i did read the forum nor had i tested davinci until now.

Opens fine and works smoothly, all windows like fairlight and render are accessible and fast.
https://ibb.co/cLqPLf3

But, i cannot edit, since the file inputs are not read by davinci. As you said mp4 cannot be read and h.264 cannot be read. SO, i converted the mp4 to mov online and also with this application winff (ffmpeg gui).
With mov files, the video footage didnt show up either. Even if the text shows up and is editabe, the play button is stuck, video does not play.
https://ibb.co/FKL2Rdg

Render is stuck, doesnt move.
https://ibb.co/3MjvRnf

These errors might be more related to davinci than linux mint, so i would search that forum. As far as for my problem of installation and running davinci in linux, i can count that as solved. Essentially the problem seems to be with my amd radeon530
P.S. I applied some new solutions provided altogether and broke davinci, celluloid and anything that plays media. Will try timeshift.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

davinci reolve123 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:41 amThese errors might be more related to davinci than linux mint, so i would search that forum.
Per this Log files on Linux DR Studio 17, logs are located in ~/.local/share/DaVinciResolve/logs/ and would probably be a good place to check when running into issues.
davinci reolve123 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:41 amAs far as for my problem of installation and running davinci in linux, i can count that as solved.
If you consider the issue resolved and are no longer in need of support on this topic, please go to your first post in this topic, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the title.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
ShadowSkill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ShadowSkill »

davinci reolve123 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:41 am But, i cannot edit, since the file inputs are not read by davinci. As you said mp4 cannot be read and h.264 cannot be read. SO, i converted the mp4 to mov online and also with this application winff (ffmpeg gui).
With mov files, the video footage didnt show up either. Even if the text shows up and is editabe, the play button is stuck, video does not play.
https://ibb.co/FKL2Rdg
According to the screenshot, you imported the mp4 files and not the mov files. Is that the problem or you just uploaded the wrong screenshot?

Also, you can use ffmpeg from command line or use this simple script:

#!/bin/bash

filename="$1"
newFilename=${filename%.mp4}.mov

ffmpeg -i "$filename" -vcodec dnxhd -acodec pcm_s16le -s 1920x1080 -r 30000/1001 -b:v 36M -pix_fmt yuv422p -f mov "$newFilename"
davinci reolve123
Level 1
Level 1

@shadowskill
.mov -> FIles not readable.
https://ibb.co/yhsKQ57
Renderer and player stuck.
davinci reolve123
Level 1
Level 1

Re: (solved*) Unable to solve Davinci resolve- Unsupported GPU processing mode ERROR. With AMD graphics.

I think this thread should solve the problems for all those those without amd legacy drivers like the one i have - AMD radeon530.
For other AMD drivers and NVidia graphics, Davinci resolve should work well and good if not better. You can use the above stated methods of installation. Some issues like the file extensions compatibility can be overcome. (I can recommend you to download winff from the software manager for easier conversion of files.)
It appears that davinci support for linux might improve in the future updates(but might take a year?).
Hence, i changed the question to solved.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: (solved*) Unable to solve Davinci resolve- Unsupported GPU processing mode ERROR. With AMD graphics.

Post by SMG »

davinci reolve123 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:35 am Some issues like the file extensions compatibility can be overcome. (I can recommend you to download winff from the software manager for easier conversion of files.)
It appears that davinci support for linux might improve in the future updates(but might take a year?).
If you do a search on this forum for "Davinci" you will find a number of other topics where people discuss the issues they have had with the software (file extensions, differences between paid and free, etc.) If you have issues for which you can not find a solution, it would probably be best to create a new topic rather than adding new questions to this one. From a forum standpoint, we ask that new questions not be added to existing topics so it is easier for people to find answers to their questions by keeping the topics more focused and concise.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: geronimus's issue can now be found here Davinci resolve- Unsupported GPU processing mode ERROR. With AMD graphics. because this topic is marked solved and a new issue should be in a new topic.

Return to “Software & Applications”