Straight audio player, without playlists

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Freddie
Level 1
Level 1

Straight audio player, without playlists

Post by Freddie »

Hi, i'm looking for a very simple audio player for Linux Mint Cinnamon. One that allows me to go to a subdirectory with music files, click on one of them and start listening. At the end of the music file it must go automatically to the next one and play that. I've searched, downloaded en tried lots of players but not one does what I want. For Windows there is a player that I would like to have in Linux: 1by1.
Freddie
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Da Londo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Straight audio player, without playlists

Post by Da Londo »

If you dont't mind using Terminal you could try cmus, https://cmus.github.io/#home
To be found in Software Manager
aka Jim on HexChat
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Don't know of any linux equivalent, but in KDE you can right click a a folder and open it with Audacious or other music program. Does Cinnamon do this? It's been a while since I had it installed.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
iliketrains
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iliketrains »

Hoser Rob wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:25 am Don't know of any linux equivalent, but in KDE you can right click a a folder and open it with Audacious or other music program. Does Cinnamon do this? It's been a while since I had it installed.
That's what I do with vlc in Xfce DE.
vlc does some fancy things but it does simple things as well in a simple manner. I know it from Windows days and happy it's cross-platform.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Audacious would also be my suggestion.
I'm not on a Linux box at at the moment but I think I audacious you can go to File -Open Folder or something very similar to that.
I think it's also possible to do that in vlc, though I don't like the gui of vlc for audio very much and tend to use adacious which is nice and small and simple.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

ajgreeny wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:05 pm Audacious would also be my suggestion.
I'm not on a Linux box at at the moment but I think I Audacious you can go to File - Open Folder or something very similar to that.
Open folder, click on the first tune which Audacious starts playing then with Shift held down, mark and drag the rest of the music files from that folder on to Audacious. It then plays them sequentially.
iliketrains
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iliketrains »

Sorry I misread the question.
To play a directory in vlc starting at a specific file requires setting to loop. Without loop it won't play the complete directory, or at least I didn't find an easy solution. The easy solution is letting vlc start with the file it wants, but that wasn't the question.
Another fanboy shot down in flames. :(
Freddie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Freddie »

Thank you for your info. I will try your solutions. The best shot (without having tried it yet) to me seems to be CMUS.
I will report my findings. However that may take a while, I'm not that fast.
Freddie
legacypowers
Level 4
Level 4

Post by legacypowers »

mpv, simple, lightweight, work as a video player too, and with some scripts it can be used as an youtube video player too .
Terminal - zsh wrote: ╭─legacy@forums.linuxmint.com
╰─➜ _
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Freddie wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:08 amThank you for your info. I will try your solutions.
After you find out that none of them will do what you want, you might try writing a script to do it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
SimonPeter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SimonPeter »

Freddie wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:43 pm Hi, i'm looking for a very simple audio player for Linux Mint Cinnamon. One that allows me to go to a subdirectory with music files, click on one of them and start listening.
I use VLC for that. It is simple, lightweight, cross-platform, Free and Open Source etc.,
Freddie wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:43 pm At the end of the music file it must go automatically to the next one and play that. I've searched, downloaded en tried lots of players but not one does what I want. For Windows there is a player that I would like to have in Linux: 1by1.
I don't know if VLC can do that (you may need to click just 1 more time).
LPH_[retired]
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LPH_[retired] »

I had the same kind of issue with locating a minimum music player. I don't create playlist other than temporary. I don't want an app that scans my machine and catalogs every flipping mp3/flac/ape/ogg file. I know where my music files are thank you very much. I don't need anything that has visualization or an equalizer. Just a simple music player.

What I ended up with is Audacious. I created a Nemo.Actions file that allows me to right click on a folder name and every music file in that folder and all subfolders to that selected folder are added as a temporary playlist. I can right click individual or multiple music files and play them.

My launch_Audacious.nemo_action file contains:

Code: Select all

Name=Play in _Audacious 
Comment=Enque Music files with audacious
Exec=/usr/bin/audacious -E %F
Icon-Name=audacious
Selection=a
Extensions=any;
EscapeSpaces=true
Passing the -E parm to Audacious creates a temp playlist which is discarded after closing Audacious.
In the nemo_action file Selection=a selects anything in the folder or the individual file. If the folder contain files types other music files they are ignored by Audacious. If the folder contains no music files you'd get an error msg about no files.

This process works well for me. HTH
Alcohol is gods apology for making us self aware.
James May
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

LPH_[retired] wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:05 pm What I ended up with is Audacious. I created a Nemo.Actions file that allows me to right click on a folder name and every music file in that folder and all subfolders to that selected folder are added as a temporary playlist. I can right click individual or multiple music files and play them.
That works with directory."Open with" and audacious or foobar and no extra fiddling (except it keeps the list as a playlist if you open them later with no params, although this is changeable in foobar to act as you describe).

Does your method do what the OP wanted, namely open a single file and then it continues to play the other files in the first file's directory?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Package mpg123

Code: Select all

cd /to/music/dir
mpg123-pulse *
While it's running:
h = help
f = next song
d = previous song

Edit: If you "open with" in a file-browser, it either plays one track or plays all the selected tracks at the same time, which kinda sucks

Return to “Software & Applications”