[SOLVED] Bad memory management

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

[SOLVED] Bad memory management

Post by Menard »

Hi

There I am with 8 GB RAM and it uses only 63% while it is playing to terminate my hard disk by using 100% of the swap file on it :evil:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Bad memory management

Post by rene »

A possibility is that you checked usage just after something that took up a large amount of RAM stopped doing so (by exiting usually), i.e., before demand-driven swap-in had lessened swap usage again. Another possibility is that you are misinterpreting some figures somewhere. What is not a possibility is blanket "bad memory management" because Linux is not blanket-bad at managing memory.

If you're just in the first situation try sudo swapoff -a && sudo swapon -a to force swap-in (although, note, you'd want to contemplate why you'd want to).
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

What is the value of: cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Menard wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:12 amThere I am with 8 GB RAM and it uses only 63% while it is playing to terminate my hard disk by using 100% of the swap file on it
What is the size of your swapfile?
The swapfile has got a dynamic size. It may start pretty small, thus easily filled by 100%. But as soon as more swap space should be needed, the system would resize it automatically.
Corrected:
The default swapfile will not be dynamic at all. Dynamic swapfiles will only be created and managed, in case the software swapspace has been configured and is in use.

Irrespective of the initially incorrect statement that the swapfile would be resized dynamically by the system, the swapfile may still have been created too small. This is why asking for its current size is still a valid question.
Resizing the (static) swapfile is still less hassle than resizing a swap device may be, even though by default resizing the swapfile cannot be done "on the fly".

Thanks to Rene below, who made me aware that I had been wrong. Made me read (not only) the Ubuntu manpages on swapfile(s) and on the management software swapspace.
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Corrected incorrect statement(s) initially made. RTFM should have been done before clicking [submit]
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

karlchen wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:00 am The swapfile has got a dynamic size. It may start pretty small, thus easily filled by 100%. But as soon as more swap space should be needed, the system would resize it automatically. This is different from the swap device, used by default on older Mint release. Swap devices had a fixed size.
I believe I noticed you once said this before as well in a by us shared thread, but note that this is not true. Linux does not dynamically size swap space be it a swap partition or a swap file.

It's also the kind of thing one would expect someone would only say if literally looking at the behaviour so to make very, very sure that I hadn't missed something quite fundamental I just tested things and, no: size of a swap file is still as static as size of a swap partition. Difference of course is that former can generally be more easily "manually" grown and there's some projects out there to automate adding additional swap files in userspace when under memory pressure --- but the Linux kernel and our Mint systems know not of dynamically-sized swap space; a /swapfile does not grow dynamically.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, rene.

Then I stand corrected. I had assumed that this were the relevant advantage of swapfile over swap device. The swap device has got a fixed size, whereas the swapfile were dynamic. - But I admit that I still use the good old swap device with its fixed pre-allocated size.

In this case, the fact that the swapfile is filled by 100% does still not indicate poor memory management, but rather it may be a hint that the swapfile has not been sized properly nad needs resizing. Correct?

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

The swap file advantage, if some, is that it's more easy to manually resize/recreate and manually and/or programmatically add additional ones of when under memory pressure but the downside is (possible) fragmentation. Of a single file and as to all of swap space of course certainly in the case of multiple ones.

In essence it's a very fundamental issue: virtual memory management exist at a level much deeper than filesystems; the filesystem subsystem in the kernel uses the virtual-memory subsystem in a very fundamental and unavoidable manner and if now the virtual-memory subsystem also uses the filesystem subsystem we may get into nasty fundamental circular-dependency issues. I actually looked at things a bit deeper a while ago and it did not in fact seem all that bad in practice, and better than I had expected, what with basically all filesystem related setup done away with at the swapon stage already; things after said stage not being fundamentally different between a swap file and swap partition. The mentioned possible fragmentation of a file is an issue but very significantly less in current SSD times than before on HDD (i.e., seek times having gone almost extinct) and it's in any case in practical terms a possibility to make semi-sure that swap files are not or are not significantly fragmented.

All that said --- yes, I also still use swap partitions; swap files just don't make as much technical sense so that without an actual need I'd just rather use the better swap partition technology.

I would say that the swap file/partition being filled 100% may even mean stellar memory management: that above SSD point notwithstanding speed of storage vs. RAM is not even ballpark close yet on the type of machines which I've noticed Menard uses: if he could still halfway sensibly use the machine with enough RAM swapped out to fill a swap file of any conceivable size I'd say Linux was doing a darned fine job there. Because that's sort of the point; it makes outside of the context of hibernation little sense to have more than 1 or 2 GB of swap available on an 8G machine anyway since swapping more simply means you just loaded up the machine to a level which it can not sensibly handle in the first place. Generally at least. I suppose that if you e.g. use VMs in that 8G that you may not necessarily always mind having most of them swapped out if you're not actively using them --- but we're then in specific situations.

That is: rather than an indication of the swap file not having been sized correctly I very much expect it more a matter of the workload not having been sized correctly for the system: given that it's unusably slow anyway with more than at most a few gigs swapped out why bother for allowing for more as a matter of available swap space?

Anyways; spamegg's swappiness query is semi-relevant but also I expect a red herring, with 100% swap usage. As said, swap-in is demand-driven so it's easy to get into posters described situation if something runs that eats up memory and causes swap-out but then stops/exits leaving free memory: the system doesn't swap in that which was swapped out until it in fact has a use for it. It can as said be forced by swapoff/swapon, even if you'd generally need not.
Last edited by rene on Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Da Londo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Da Londo »

aka Jim on HexChat
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

spamegg wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:54 am What is the value of: cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

Code: Select all

u3@PC1:~$ cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
u3@PC1:~$ 
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

That's the standard value and while it makes some sense to on a desktop lower it to e.g. 10 or 20 note that by and large /proc/sys/vm/swappiness should be renamed /proc/sys/vm/redherring. It's very unlikely with 100% swap used that you actually experienced a real problem: something that caused swap-out likely just exited and left free RAM. Fully normal.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

karlchen wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:00 am
What is the size of your swapfile?
I didn't set nothing about it, and the system monitor mentions 1.4 GiB
About RAM it is in fact 7 GB left and it is mentionned this : 4.7 GiB (69.3%) in 6.7 GiB | cache 1.7 GiB
--

Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

To notice is that 2 hours and a half later ... i am still in this session with shown : Swap at 100% and RAM at 69% :cry:
--

rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

That would normally mean you didn't in fact use that which is swapped out yet (may as such also not care). As said, try and force things with sudo swapoff -a && sudo swapon -a --- although, note, if you're still in an active-use situation that may cause an immediate kernel OOM-killer trigger and may costs you some big memory consumer(s) so make sure you've saved that which needs saving in your open applications.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

No chance I ve just applied this but the swap usage had decreased before at around 50% and now it is again at 100%
--

rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

You then have something's that's actively eating/leaking memory running. I'd reboot.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

It is now at 10% :!:
--

rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Better, but on an 8G desktop machine you should be expecting 0% swap usage if you use it halfway normally. Since any of it is highly usage dependent in that sense it's hard to assist via the internet with memory issues.

In any case, to get the mentioned red herring squared away; it will if it IS a standard desktop machine not hurt to do

Code: Select all

echo vm.swappiness=10 | sudo tee /etc/sysctl.d/swappiness.conf
and activate with sudo sysctl -p /etc/sysctl.d/swappiness.conf (only needed now; after reboot it will be set automatically). This gives the system a less aggressive swapping profile which makes some sense on a desktop and which may help you in some senses --- but as said, memory use, either legitimately or via some buggy/leaking bit of software is the only to be expected actual problem.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

OK thanks I ll try this
--

Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

I suppose that you include in "PC desktop" a mini ATX tower that lie 2 inches up the floor :D
--

rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [SOLVED] Bad memory management

Post by rene »

I'd say that, yes, lying computers do tend to be desktops, be they lying 1, 2 or 3 inches, and up whichever surface.

More directly, "desktop" in this sense would be a usage criterion; a system you'd use for e.g. browsing and other day-to-day tasks; not number-crunching, serving, ...

Return to “Software & Applications”