[SOLVED] Java Security Question

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
parkernathan
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Java Security Question

Post by parkernathan »

It seems there is a version of Java installed with Linux Mint Uma Cinnamon edition (when I was in LibreOffice settings). Are there any security precautions I need to take with Java on Linux Mint? On Windows, I've completely uninstalled it, and on the Mac, I've disabled as much of it as possible.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Nathan Parker
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Java Security Question

Post by gittiest personITW »

dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

parkernathan wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:26 pm Are there any security precautions I need to take with Java on Linux Mint?
You should keep it up to date, through the normal Mint update procedures, as you would with any other package.
parkernathan wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:26 pm On Windows, I've completely uninstalled it, and on the Mac, I've disabled as much of it as possible.
If you want to remove it, and you're not using it, then go for it.

Just having it doesn't make your system any more vulnerable though. No more so than having any other package that you don't use. The runtime doesn't have any special system access or elevated privileges. In order to attack your system using it, I would have to somehow get the bytecode to your system and trigger the runtime to run it. That's no different to say, using a python script. Or a Trojan written in C or Rust.

Much of the bad press for Java is/was from the use of Applets, which can be run in the browser. These were sand-boxed, but obviously bugs in the framework could lead to issues, and as users, we had little control over what the web page authors were doing. I don't see many applets these days. Useful stuff on web pages is pretty much all done using Javascript (unfortunately named, as it really has nothing to do with Java).
parkernathan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by parkernathan »

Good info and great discussion! Much appreciated on it. It's possible I may not need it. If I don't, I may remove it.
Nathan Parker
parkernathan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by parkernathan »

I need it for my IP scanner at the moment, so guess I'll be keeping it installed for the time being.
Nathan Parker

Return to “Software & Applications”