[SOLVED] Latte Dock Questions

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
parkernathan
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Latte Dock Questions

Post by parkernathan »

I'm playing with Latte Dock on my copy of Linux Mint Uma Cinnamon since I'm running Linux Mint on my older 2011 iMac. I have a few getting started questions with it:

1. If I use Latte Dock for my running apps, is there a way to hide running apps in the Linux Mint Panel?

2. Is there a way to add a launcher to the trash in Latte Dock? Right now I have it on the Linux Mint Panel.

3. Is there a way to remove the Analog Clock from Latte Dock? I don't really need it.

4. Is there a way to install a Dark Theme for Latte Dock? I'm running Linux Mint Cinnamon itself in Dark Mode.

5. Is there a way to add a custom launcher to Latte Dock or change the icon for an app launcher pinned to Latte Dock? Some of my WINE apps aren't automatically showing as a running app (so I need to manually add them as a launcher to the dock, and the WINE apps that are have blurry icons, and I have high-res icons I could replace them with).

6. Lastly, is there a way to pull off some form of global menu in the Linux Mint Panel if I wanted a little more of a Mac menu bar feel? I've read some articles about some betas that are unstable. If there are some a little more stable, I'd give one a try just for fun.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Nathan Parker
legacypowers
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Latte Dock Questions

Post by legacypowers »

parkernathan wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:40 pm I'm playing with Latte Dock on my copy of Linux Mint Uma Cinnamon since I'm running Linux Mint on my older 2011 iMac. I have a few getting started questions with it:

1. If I use Latte Dock for my running apps, is there a way to hide running apps in the Linux Mint Panel?

2. Is there a way to add a launcher to the trash in Latte Dock? Right now I have it on the Linux Mint Panel.

3. Is there a way to remove the Analog Clock from Latte Dock? I don't really need it.

4. Is there a way to install a Dark Theme for Latte Dock? I'm running Linux Mint Cinnamon itself in Dark Mode.

5. Is there a way to add a custom launcher to Latte Dock or change the icon for an app launcher pinned to Latte Dock? Some of my WINE apps aren't automatically showing as a running app (so I need to manually add them as a launcher to the dock, and the WINE apps that are have blurry icons, and I have high-res icons I could replace them with).

6. Lastly, is there a way to pull off some form of global menu in the Linux Mint Panel if I wanted a little more of a Mac menu bar feel? I've read some articles about some betas that are unstable. If there are some a little more stable, I'd give one a try just for fun.

Thanks!
1- Sure, just remove the "Grouped Window List" applet from the panel.

2- Yes, in Latte Dock, dragging and dropping it on the Latte Dock should work.

3- Yes, dragging it and dropping it out of the dock should work.

4- Yes, on this article , it says ubuntu, but mint is based on ubuntu, on the article search(CTRL+F) for "Search and install themes for Latte Dock"

5 - Yes, you should be able to on the launcher properties.

6 - Sadly on Cinnamon it is a big no, i'm fan of the global menu, on KDE on the other hand you have a widget for global menu by default, you can just add to the dock, about installing KDE on Mint you can read the whole discussion about it on a thread that i posted recently viewtopic.php?f=208&t=361880
Terminal - zsh wrote: ╭─legacy@forums.linuxmint.com
╰─➜ _
psifidotos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by psifidotos »

Thank you for trying Latte under Cinnamon, there are many that do not even consider the scenario :) . I would suggest to use Latte v0.10.x because that version will provide you the best experience to gtk desktop environments such XFCE, Gnome etc... A demonstration video can be found at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hca05RG-kv0

1. Cinnamon users can answer this

2. right click dock -> Add Widgets... -> Drag n' Drop Plasma Trash widget onto the dock

3. right click dock -> Edit Dock... -> Right click Analogue Clock -> Remove Analogue Clock

4. Latte is using Plasma Themes for its appearance, so every theme you can find here: https://store.kde.org/browse?cat=104&ord=latest is also applicable to Latte. Currently you need to install it first through Plasma and enable it through Plasma SystemSettings application. I dont know if you can use a command line for this to be applied by using:

Code: Select all

plasma-apply-desktoptheme
5. you can create custom launchers in ~/.local/share/applications and drag n drop them afterwards on the dock. Make sure to read first: https://userbase.kde.org/LatteDock/FAQ# ... on_icon.3F

6. Latte is not just a dock so it can provide you panels also... All Plasma widgets including Plasma GlobalMenu can be used inside Latte panels or even alternatives such ActiveWindowControl applet or Window AppMenu applet. In order for them to work properly you need the global menu service provided by plasma-workspace to run under Cinnamon. You need to run "kded5" manually that provides "Application menus daemon" - you can enable which services to run with kded5 from: plasma systemsettings5->startup and shutdown->background services

For [6] I believe an experienced Cinnamon user should provide the proper steps.

So any Plasma Widget can be hosted inside a Latte Dock/Panel and as such inside Cinnamon desktop environment. Some of these applets just require their host service to run also and in that way also Plasma Activities can run under Cinnamon, Pager applets, Virtual Desktop widgets, Plasma Systray etc. etc.
parkernathan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by parkernathan »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have a few followup questions:

1. My "Add Widgets" isn't doing anything when I click it (literally nothing happens). Is there something else I need to do to bring up the "Add Widgets" window?

2. On adding themes, I tried the It's FOSS article, but all that did was change the layout of my currently-pinned icons. Is there another way I can try installing/enabling themes?

3. To create new launchers, do I just browse to ~/.local/share/applications in Files, then right-click in the window and select "Create a New Launcher Here" and specify the path to the application? Is there a way I can query the path to an application that's listed in the Mint Menu on Cinnamon? After I create the launcher, do I just then drag it to the Dock?

4. Too bad on global menu and Cinnamon. I'm a fan of it as well. If it changes in the future, keep me posted, as I would enjoy it!

Thanks!
Nathan Parker
parkernathan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by parkernathan »

Update: I had to go ahead and remove Latte Dock since it was conflicting with the performance of some of my other apps.

Instead of attempting to remove all the KDE packages through Synaptic Package Manager, I used Timeshift to restore my system back to a previous snapshot before I installed Latte Dock.

Now that I've done that, are there any remaining configuration files for Latte Dock/KDE on the file system or my home directory that I'd need to "clean up"?

Thanks!
Nathan Parker

Return to “Software & Applications”