Kernel updates deleting configurations for Thunderbird & Firefox?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kai
Level 2
Level 2

Kernel updates deleting configurations for Thunderbird & Firefox?

Post by kai »

Dear all,

a couple of days ago my Linux Mint update manager informed me of available updates for Kernel 5.4 and Kernel 5.13. I updated the system with both and discovered that, after rebooting, both Firefox and Thunderbird had completely lost their profiles & all configuration data (i.e. accounts, passwords, settings, bookmarks etc.). This occurred on two separate devices, both using Kernel 5.13.

Has anyone else noticed this and how do I avoid this in future?

And, just wondering: why am I offered updates for a Kernel version I am no longer using?

Kind regards,
kai.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
legacypowers
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Kernel updates deleting configurations for Thunderbird & Firefox?

Post by legacypowers »

kai wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:04 am Dear all,

a couple of days ago my Linux Mint update manager informed me of available updates for Kernel 5.4 and Kernel 5.13. I updated the system with both and discovered that, after rebooting, both Firefox and Thunderbird had completely lost their profiles & all configuration data (i.e. accounts, passwords, settings, bookmarks etc.). This occurred on two separate devices, both using Kernel 5.13.

Has anyone else noticed this and how do I avoid this in future?

And, just wondering: why am I offered updates for a Kernel version I am no longer using?

Kind regards,
kai.
Hello, kernel updates packages have nothing to do with the configuration files, in both cases i think there was something that happened that might passed overlook and gave the impression of the kernel update doing it.

About the kernel updates that you are not using, it is offered because you still have that specific kernel package still installed, i recommend you to keep the kernel 5.4(which comes default on Linux Mint Uma) and in your case 5.13, the reason being is if due to an bug introduced in a update, this bug might prevent the kernel from properly booting, having another kernel to boot, makes recovery easier(just boot into the alternate kernel), but that is what i do, there are others way to be "safe", like timeshift backups(this one is also a very good idea), or just thinking "f* it, when things break i will just boot from the install cd, chroot into my installed root partition and fix stuff manually(not a good idea, it is nice to know how to, but why do the harder thing when you can do easier thing am i right?)
Terminal - zsh wrote: ╭─legacy@forums.linuxmint.com
╰─➜ _
kai
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kai »

hi,

thanks for your feedback; and yes, I agree that a kernel update should not have this effect, but the correlation is there; and no other SW was (knowingly) updated during this time. Also, even a complete reinstall of Firefox or Thunderbird app leaves the user configs untouched, as far as I know

In addition, after the kernel updates my display settings were screwed up. I have an external screen attached to the laptop which is configured to be used as display after logging in. After updating the kernel, the standard screen was again reset to the laptop screen and I had to reconfigure it on both machines.

Pretty odd for a coincidence, I think ...

Kind regards,
kai.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

I agree, kernel update should not be related (unless there is an error in the update tool/procedure)
===
off point, the horse is already out of the barn, Backup

frequently, off machine (I use my private cloud with LuckyBackup doing the heavy lifting)

"hidden folders" in your /home folder
.mozilla if for Firefox
.thunderbird is for Thunderbird

*this backup is also handy for copying to other machines.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
kai
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kai »

True, the horse was out, but has meanwhile been returned to the barn (by manual reconfiguration :( ). I have backed up both profiles now, but the profiles only, since copying the entire "hidden folder" tree will probably also copy my entire IMAP content, correct?

That would be both a huge increase in backup size and unnecessary, since it's still on the server anyway.

So what is the benefit of backing up the entire "hidden folder"?

And is it possible to backup the configuration of the screen/display settings somehow?

Regards,
kai.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

kai wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:18 am since copying the entire "hidden folder" tree will probably also copy my entire IMAP content, correct?

That would be both a huge increase in backup size and unnecessary, since it's still on the server anyway.
I have no idea. I don't use IMAP, only POP
file size and archiving is not an issue for me
BTW: LuckyBackup (a frontend for rsync) only copies the changed files
kai wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:18 am
So what is the benefit of backing up the entire "hidden folder"?
in the case of POP you are saving all of the email Locally (and I make redundant copies), rather than on someone else's computer
those servers do fail.
kai wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:18 am
And is it possible to backup the configuration of the screen/display settings somehow?
I am sure that is possible. search the mozilla documentation and help
Peter
kai
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kai »

Sorry, my mistake; I meant the screen/display settings for the machine running Mint, not Firefox ...
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

kai wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:01 am Sorry, my mistake; I meant the screen/display settings for the machine running Mint, not Firefox ...
that would be a great question for Clem and team.

perhaps comment in the blog is the correct method. If there is a bug reporting system for Mint I am unaware of it.

best of luck
Peter
Qapla
Level 2
Level 2
Location: San Francisco, 6,437 meters SouthEast of the future home of Starfleet Academy

Post by Qapla »

sdibaja wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:23 pm perhaps comment in the blog is the correct method. If there is a bug reporting system for Mint I am unaware of it.
Look here:
https://projects.linuxmint.com/reporting-an-issue.html
Qapla' - Success! (Klingon salutation on departure to battle)

Return to “Software & Applications”