Cannot Launch Timeshift or Mintsources on Mint 20.2 when connected via xRDP.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Taizel
Level 1
Level 1

Cannot Launch Timeshift or Mintsources on Mint 20.2 when connected via xRDP.

Post by Taizel »

I don't fully understand the root issue but I don't think it's Timeshift itself. I have the same issue with mintsources, I can't start neither of the applications when connected via xRDP.

These are the outputs I get:

Code: Select all

pkexec mintsources
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

(mintSources.py:4520): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 16:04:38.897: _gtk_style_provider_private_get_settings: assertion 'GTK_IS_STYLE_PROVIDER_PRIVATE (provider)' failed

(mintSources.py:4520): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 16:04:38.897: _gtk_style_provider_private_get_settings: assertion 'GTK_IS_STYLE_PROVIDER_PRIVATE (provider)' failed

Code: Select all

pkexec timeshift-gtk

(timeshift-gtk:4651): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:08:44.539: cannot open display: 
I'm using LM 20.2 and Cinnamon desktop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
acerimusdux
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Cannot Launch Timeshift or Mintsources on Mint 20.2 when connected via xRDP.

Post by acerimusdux »

Both of those require administrative access. Basically, they require you to enter your password again, because they run as root. So maybe you either don't have permission to have that level of access when connecting via xRDP, or maybe the authentication program just isn't working with it. I don't know what xRDP is, but if it's some kind of remote access type of thing, having defaults that limit that to forbid root access for remote connections might be a normal security precaution.

Return to “Software & Applications”