does firefox really use HW acceleration?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
caracal478
Level 2
Level 2

does firefox really use HW acceleration?

Post by caracal478 »

I've found that any page that uses webgl also causes firefox the CPU utilization to go to about 50 or 60%.

This doesn't seem right.

I'm using the nvidia driver, and it seems to be operating correctly.\

Is it possible that i'm missing a library or have something misconfigured ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: does firefox really use HW acceleration?

Post by mikeflan »

I think it is right. Or at least it happens on my computer also.
No big deal to me. I want my CPU's working hard for me :wink:

Here is an example webgl page:
https://webglsamples.org/aquarium/aquarium.html
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Re: does firefox really use HW acceleration?

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

1st thing is to be sure that hardware acceleration is well set-up in Firefox. It is now almost hidden in its parameters: "about:preferences" then under "General" go to "Performances" (bottom of the page).

Un-select the case "use recommended performance parameters" and you will see a new line appear "use hardware graphic acceleration if available". If this case is selected, the hardware acceleration is set-up by default and you can now select again ""use recommended performance parameters". If this case is not selected, then select it and close the preferences page.

2nd thing is to be sure that video acceleration is correctly set for Firefox. You can read this, by Ji m: https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/20 ... 04-higher/
(without warranty).

Finally, performance depends on your GPU: it will be greater with a dedicated NVIDIA or AMD Radeon 3D GPU than with just a chipset.

Regards,

MN

PS:

- If a webgl page such as https://webglsamples.org/aquarium/aquarium.html is displayed, then hardware acceleration is activated, whatever the performance; without hardware acceleration you get a message saying that your computer is not compatible with WebGL.

- On my computer, with Firefox 95 flatpak, performance (40 fps with 500 fishes, 6 fps with 15000 fishes) is lower than with Chromium 96 flatpak (60 fps with 500 fishes, 30 fps with 15000 fishes); in both cases, hardware acceleration is activated in the browser settings and the permission to use hardware acceleration is set with flatseal.

Return to “Software & Applications”