Nvidia drivers crash Driver Manager (getting Davinci Resolve to run)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Omnizoa
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Nvidia drivers crash Driver Manager (getting Davinci Resolve to run)

Post by Omnizoa »

SMG wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:46 pmHaving pocl packages installed, resolve runs into an segmentation fault right after start.
After removing the pocl packages it works again.
Synaptic indicates that I do not have any pocl-named packages installed.
I see people mentioning 'gdb tracing' to get more information, but I do not know what that involves.
Looks like a gdb package intended for general debugging. What little I read goes well over my head.
Make sure you have all required libraries installed. Run "ldd /opt/resolve/bin/resolve" and verify that there are no missing libraries (ldd should give no lines with "not found" in them)
Nothing appears to be missing.

I decided to peruse that thread a bit and found some more things to check:
12. Install CUDA, following the NVIDIA guide.
I'm not even sure that I actually have CUDA installed. And nothing seems to indicate that I ever did. I followed the instructions and during the massive install dump it appeared to say it was automating the process of blacklisting Nouveau, which, interestingly, calls back to the original 2014 guide that intended me to do that manually.

This appears to break my Nvidia Driver settings though- EDIT: It breaks my drivers because it automatically installs a full suite of nvidia-driver-510 packages.

Both before and after a reboot at this point the Nvidia Optimus applet appears and shows that I have Nvidia "Performance Mode" selected and inxi -Gx switches from stating my Nvidia GPU's driver is "Nouveau" to "N/A". No Nvidia options appear in Driver Manager either.

At this point I resumed my usual process of signing the kernel modules, selecting "On-Demand" mode and restarting.

The applet now shows an AMD logo and says I have NVIDIA On-Demand selected. No Nvidia drivers appear in Driver Manager still and my inxi -Gx output is:

Code: Select all

Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 730] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: N/A 
  bus ID: 01:00.0 
  Device-2: AMD Picasso vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: amdgpu v: kernel 
  bus ID: 08:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: amdgpu,ati 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics (RAVEN DRM 3.41.0 
  5.13.0-25-generic LLVM 12.0.0) 
  v: 4.6 Mesa 21.0.3 direct render: Yes
Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 & LMDE 6
AMD Ryzen 3 3200G Processor, 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM
256GB PCle NVMe M.2 SSD, AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics
NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 730
Omnizoa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Omnizoa »

I restored back to a crashed installation of nvidia-driver-470 where I already have older versions of many (if not all) of the nvidia files CUDA installed.

I installed CUDA via .deb file with sudo dpkg -i, ran apt update and apt upgrade and my nvidia driver files seem to have all remained version 470 (whereas installing via sudo apt install with no Nvidia drivers gave me all version 510).

Running my MOK-generating-&-kernel-module-signing bash script at this point indicates a "key 0" and "key 1" during MOK enrollment, which I'm pretty sure there was only one previously.

NOW I see something promising, the Nvidia applet now shows my Nvidia GPU at the top of the menu rather than my AMD GPU.

The hexdump check shows "~Module signature appended~" as it's supposed to. Am selecting On-Demand from the applet and restarting.

The applet has shifted to an AMD logo and now shows the AMD Radeon in the menu, but NVIDIA On-Demand is selected.

inxi -Gx looks good (I think?):

Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 730] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nvidia
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: amdgpu,ati,nvidia
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
Installing DaVinci... running it aaaand nothin'. Both with and without the "Run with Nvidia GPU" option in the right-click menu.

Running from the Terminal gives a different error though:

log4cxx: No appender could be found for logger (BtCommon).
log4cxx: Please initialize the log4cxx system properly.
NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 730
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Omnizoa wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:11 pminxi -Gx looks good (I think?):

Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 730] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nvidia
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: amdgpu,ati,nvidia
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
It looks much better than the one in the prior post. Did the nvidia version just get cut off when you pasted or was there no version showing? That's the only item I which I would expect to see which is not there.
Omnizoa wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:11 pmInstalling DaVinci... running it aaaand nothin'. Both with and without the "Run with Nvidia GPU" option in the right-click menu.
I am not sure how well the right-click functionality in Cinnamon is working right now. Some people have had problems with it. I would expect that you would just launch DaVinci Resolve and then go in and set the Nvidia GPU as the primary GPU in the Settings to use it instead of using the right-click functionality. I think that would be what DaVinci Resolve is expecting based on my understanding of that software.
Omnizoa wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:11 pmRunning from the Terminal gives a different error though:

log4cxx: No appender could be found for logger (BtCommon).
log4cxx: Please initialize the log4cxx system properly.
It's getting late for me. I will not have time until tomorrow afternoon to research this. Maybe try running log4cxx in the search box in the DaVinci Resolve forum to see what comes up.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Omnizoa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Omnizoa »

SMG wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:48 pmDid the nvidia version just get cut off when you pasted or was there no version showing? That's the only item I which I would expect to see which is not there.
Yeah, sorry I was copying text between computers. It says v: 470.86.
It's getting late for me. I will not have time until tomorrow afternoon to research this. Maybe try running log4cxx in the search box in the DaVinci Resolve forum to see what comes up.
Seems to be a distro non-specific issue that multiple people complained about in that 40-page install issues thread.

There is frustratingly little information about log4cxx online which is making it difficult to figure out a workaround for this.
Last edited by SMG on Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quote tags on last sentence.
NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 730
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

In that 40 page topic, I found this post in which Daniel Tufvesson is quoted as saying the log4cxx messages are probably not a problem. I found mention of that elsewhere as well, but I didn't really find what that feature is supposed to do to know know what "not a problem" means.

That post mentions checking a log file. Do you have that file?

In this post in that long topic, a person mentions they get the two lines you posted, but Resolve is launching. :?

The only other place where I found info that I thought might be helpful was this Archlinux topic Davinci Resolve 16 stable gets stuck on "Looking for control surface". It's a slightly different issue, but towards the end of the posts, the person mentions they were able to install log4cxx from the Arch repositories. I did a quick check in Synaptic Package Manager and there appears to be some packages related to it, but I'm not sure which ones, if any, might apply for this situation. And if people can get Resolve to run with those error messages anyhow, it might not be worth spending time on trying to clear the messages.

The very last post indicates, "Hello, I had the same issue and got it working by using the progl prefix after using davinci-resolve-checker, it should check if the necessary drivers are installed". Perhaps running that might generate some clues as to what is happening?

I would not expect any DaVinci Resolve error messages to be written to the Linux Mint logs, but that is also something you could check. After it seems Resolve does not start run dmesg -T | tail -n 100 to get the last 100 lines. You can change that last number to be more or less to see if anything which seems might be helpful shows up.
Omnizoa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Omnizoa »

SMG wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:11 pmThat post mentions checking a log file. Do you have that file?
/opt/resolve/logs/ doesn't exist.
Perhaps running that might generate some clues as to what is happening?
davinci-resolve-checker appears to be a third-party Arch Linux utility.
I would not expect any DaVinci Resolve error messages to be written to the Linux Mint logs, but that is also something you could check. After it seems Resolve does not start run dmesg -T | tail -n 100 to get the last 100 lines. You can change that last number to be more or less to see if anything which seems might be helpful shows up.
I got this:

process 'opt/resolve/bin/resolve' started with executable stack
show_signal_msg: 13 callbacks suppressed
resolve[2338]: segfault at 18 ip 00007f45a81712a7 sp 00007ffd625a65e0 error 4 in libaprutil-1.so.0.6.1[7f45a8152000+29000]
Code: 94 fe ff 8b 6b 18 89 43 28 85 ed 75 8d eb b4 0f 1f 40 00 c7 43 18 02 00 00 00 e9 7b ff ff ff 0f 1f 40 00 41 54 55 48 89 d5 53 <8b> 4f 18 48 89 f3 c7 47 18 00 00 00 00 83 f9 00 74 57 7f 35 81 f9
If I'm still not able to get this working by the weekend I think I'm gonna give up.
NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 730
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Omnizoa wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:43 pm
Perhaps running that might generate some clues as to what is happening?
davinci-resolve-checker appears to be a third-party Arch Linux utility.
Sorry :oops: I didn't realize that.
Omnizoa wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:43 pmI got this:

process 'opt/resolve/bin/resolve' started with executable stack
show_signal_msg: 13 callbacks suppressed
resolve[2338]: segfault at 18 ip 00007f45a81712a7 sp 00007ffd625a65e0 error 4 in libaprutil-1.so.0.6.1[7f45a8152000+29000]
Code: 94 fe ff 8b 6b 18 89 43 28 85 ed 75 8d eb b4 0f 1f 40 00 c7 43 18 02 00 00 00 e9 7b ff ff ff 0f 1f 40 00 41 54 55 48 89 d5 53 <8b> 4f 18 48 89 f3 c7 47 18 00 00 00 00 83 f9 00 74 57 7f 35 81 f9
libaprutil-1.so.0.6.1 is apparently the Apache Portable Runtime Utility Library. It's my understanding Resolve has a collaboration functionality and perhaps that relates to it.

However, if error lines are writing to dmesg, I would think there's a DaVinci Resolve log file somewhere. :?
Omnizoa wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:43 pmIf I'm still not able to get this working by the weekend I think I'm gonna give up.
There is the option of registering on BlackMagic's forum and adding your question/output to that 40-page topic. There is a BlackMagic employee who has responded on that topic to help people. (As of right now he has the last post in the topic.)
Omnizoa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Omnizoa »

SMG wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:28 pmlibaprutil-1.so.0.6.1 is apparently the Apache Portable Runtime Utility Library. It's my understanding Resolve has a collaboration functionality and perhaps that relates to it.
I tried installing an updated version of that package and it still produces the same error and version number.
There is the option of registering on BlackMagic's forum and adding your question/output to that 40-page topic. There is a BlackMagic employee who has responded on that topic to help people. (As of right now he has the last post in the topic.)
I originally wrote out a lengthy rant at this point sharing my grievances in using Linux so far, but I think it was more therapeutic to type it than it would be to actually post it, or direct it at you.

Suffice it to say, my experience using Linux so far, even before this little project (which I'll admit is largely self-imposed) has been pretty miserable. Hardware installations, driver installations, a lot of this A+ Certification level stuff is entirely new to me, but even leaving that aside, the learning curve required to adopt a Linux distro and to actually personalize it with non-prescribed software has been... let's say it has not left me a happy person.

But I'm stuck between this and the licenses that have expired on software I've committed the crime of restoring to a new machine from a failing harddrive, where I could barely get it to run in the first place... so I have to choose which wall I want to bash my head against, and plenty of people have already argued I give up on Linux altogether.

I'm not giving up on Linux, but it has some serious growing to do if it wants to be as accessible as Mac or Windows, and all these tutorials I've seen from Linux fans talking about stuff like running Davinci Resolve on Mint and glossing over every single little bump and hurdle that turned this into a seemingly herculean task for me... is also very frustrating. I've seriously seen conspiracy videos suggesting that Linus Tech Tips was trolling when he ran into the issues he did just trying to get a gaming rig up and running. These people need to detach themselves from the bubbles they live in and have a little perspective for the sake of the enduser, cause working in CLI all day is like staring into the guts of a patient reporting a papercut. You're goin' a little bit above and beyond the call of duty.

Anyway, thank you for the time you took to assist me with this.
NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 730
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Omnizoa wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:22 pmI tried installing an updated version of that package and it still produces the same error and version number.
The seg fault error seemed more specific to DaVinci Resolve software to me because the way the message was written. I do not know enough about DaVinci Resolve to have any other guesses of what else to check. Sorry. :(

There is a learning curve with anything new and everyone's computer needs are not the same so sometimes one has to try something to see if it will work for them. There is a topic in the chat section of this forum Linux HATES Me – Daily Driver CHALLENGE Pt.1 [Linus Tech Tips] which discusses the challenge, and the challenges those making a change might run into. While those of us on the forum use Mint and help support others using Mint, I've found the forum to be populated more with realists than "bubble people". Maybe you'll find that topic an interesting and/or a helpful read.

Return to “Software & Applications”