Nvidia drivers crash Driver Manager (getting Davinci Resolve to run)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Omnizoa
Level 1
Level 1

Nvidia drivers crash Driver Manager (getting Davinci Resolve to run)

Post by Omnizoa »

New to Linux, jumping into the deep end. I'm attempting to run Davinci Resolve by way of MakeResolveDeb, but I don't just want to get it running once, I want to know how I can most easily and consistently replicate the install process (for longevity purposes), so I've erased and reinstalled Mint many many times, as well as Nvidia Drivers many many times, but I'm consistently having issues, in seemingly every way I attempt to install these drivers.

Some sources say to just select the "Recommended" Nvidia driver that appears in Driver Manager (which is 470.86-0ubuntu0.20.04.2), then restart.
This doesn't work. Even on a brand new fresh install of 20.3, Driver Manager will crash before installation completes. This also causes the following error when I attempt to install anything via the terminal:

Code: Select all

Waiting for cache lock: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend. It is held by process #### (packagekitd)...
If I sudo kill the process and attempt to install something via terminal again it says:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
If I don't do this, the operating system seems to break. If I select Restart or Shut Down, it returns to the Log In screen, and from there if I "Quit..." from the power icon drop-down, the pop-up which prompts me to Restart or Shut Down fails to display clickable buttons. I have to pull the terminal and manually run a shutdown -r command to force a reboot.

I do run the 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' command, it appears as though it's uninstalling the Nvidia driver. It says "Your system has UEFI Secure Boot enabled.", prompts me for a password, says it's setting up a bunch of lib packages and resolves. If I reopen Driver Manager it says that I have nvidia-driver-470 selected. If I run Update Manager and Restart at this point, Driver Manager still shows it as my installed driver.

If I open NVIDIA X Server Settings at this point I get only a blank window with "Help" and "Quit" buttons. And if I open Davinci Resolve it says "Unsupported GPU Processing Mode". I click "Update Configuration", navigate to "Memory and GPU" as every tutorial instructs, but no GPUs appear in the list and the dropdown next to "GPU processing mode" is blank.

I have attempted this entire process may different ways and all have ended up at the same deadend.

I've used Daniel Tufvesson's walkthrough on https://www.danieltufvesson.com/makeresolvedeb and followed it step-by-step, which ignores Driver Manager and involves installing additional lib files but it still doesn't work.

I've even used this extremely disorganized walkthrough from 2014 which has been updated continuously, https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=154932&start=39, which also ignores Driver Manager, involves purging any existing Nvidia drivers, creating a .conf file to disable Nouveau, rebooting into Terminal to stop lightdm, and do some kernel signing module shit that's way over my head... I followed that to a T and still it doesn't work.

And there are yet entirely OTHER walkthroughs on this that insist you have to disable Secure Boot and I don't even know how to do that, especially when this dpkg error seems to enable it. Yet I can Google Youtube videos of people showing that they can select the Recommended Nvidia driver without it crashing, running MakeResolveDeb, and launching Davinci Resolve successfully without any of this bullshit.

It's been incredibly frustrating, and yet the most consistent issue I've noticed, of Driver Manager crashing on installing the recommended Nvidia driver, I can't find any articles online anywhere addressing, and yet this is all on a brand new computer with a brand new graphics card and the latest stable installation of Linux Mint. I've just now erased and reinstalled Mint again, went directly to Driver Manager, tried to install 470 and it crashed, and once again I've installed Davinci and confirmed that it can't detect my GPU.

As far as I've been able to tell, Davinci Resolve 17 can run on my GEFORCE GT 730 and the 470 driver supports it. I've never installed a GPU before, but I'm pretty sure it's installed correctly cause System Info recognizes it.

I'm kinda at my wits' end here, my former iMac's harddrive was dying and I had to backup everything to Time Machine to save it to another computer, but not only has that broken some of the software licenses I had, but PremierePro is suddenly spitting out MPEGImporter errors and, of course, none of the tutorials that claim to fix that problem fix that problem either. I've been meaning to migrate to Linux, but I must have a video editor, and I really want to make Davinci work. I'd really appreciate the help (this is not an invitation to suggest alternative video editors, I am aware of and testing those).

EDIT: Updated my signature with my current specs.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 & LMDE 6
AMD Ryzen 3 3200G Processor, 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM
256GB PCle NVMe M.2 SSD, AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics
NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 730
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Nvidia drivers crash Driver Manager (getting Davinci Resolve to run)

Post by SMG »

Omnizoa wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:09 pm New to Linux, jumping into the deep end.
The best way to approach this is to do it in steps and make sure to run Timeshift snapshots along the way so you do not have to keep re-installing and starting over.
  • Install Linux Mint and then run all the updates and reboot.
  • Take a manual snapshot.
  • Then you would install the Nvidia driver using Driver Manager and reboot.
  • Then you would install Davinci Resolve.
Then if you run into issues at any point you only have to roll back to the prior snapshot instead of starting over by re-installing.
Omnizoa wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:09 pm It says "Your system has UEFI Secure Boot enabled.", prompts me for a password, says it's setting up a bunch of lib packages and resolves.
If you have Secure Boot enabled then you have to set up the keys or the Nvidia driver will not load at boot time. The driver files are probably installed, but installing them and loading them at boot time are two separate steps.

You will have to set up new keys every time you install a kernel update or you install an Nvidia driver update if you leave Secure Boot enabled.

Secure Boot is a setting in BIOS/UEFI. If you give us information about your hardware we may be able to help you figure out if and where it can be disabled.

Once you get Linux Mint and the Nvidia driver installed and working properly, then you can do the steps for DaVinci Resolve. This long topic (solved*) Unable to solve Davinci resolve- Unsupported GPU processing mode ERROR. With AMD graphics. has tips for getting DaVinci Resolve installed.

Please do not follow directions you found from 7 years ago. Linux Mint has changed quite a bit since then.

Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

With a 3000 series Ryzen, you will probably want to upgrade to the 5.11 kernel. It is available in Update Manager. Do that before installing the Nvidia Driver.

Instructions for upgrading to the 5.11 kernel:
  • Open Update Manager.
  • Select View > Linux Kernels and click Continue.
  • Make sure 5.11 is selected on the left panel and then click the top-most option on the right panel. An "Install" button will appear.
  • Install the kernel and then reboot for it to become active.
Omnizoa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Omnizoa »

The best way to approach this is to do it in steps and make sure to run Timeshift snapshots along the way so you do not have to keep re-installing and starting over.
I haven't attempted this because I haven't had an external harddrive to use for dedicated backups, but now that I look it I find it's not even a complete backup utility and that's kind of disappointing.
With a 3000 series Ryzen, you will probably want to upgrade to the 5.11 kernel. It is available in Update Manager.
My install of Mint comes with 5.4 by default, so you mean I need to downgrade to 5.11? Is that really necessary?
NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 730
Omnizoa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Omnizoa »

My results so far using Timeshift:

Fresh Install w/ Full Updates & Reboot (Kernel 5.4): nvidia-driver-470 (recommended) crashes Driver Manager
Fresh Install w/ Full Updates & Reboot, Regressed to Kernel 5.11 & Reboot: nvidia-driver-470 (recommended) crashes Driver Manager
Fresh Install w/ Full Updates & Reboot, Regressed to Kernel 5.11 & Reboot: nvidia-driver-460 crashes Driver Manager
Fresh Install w/ Full Updates & Reboot, Regressed to Kernel 5.11 & Reboot: nvidia-driver-390 crashes Driver Manager
Fresh Install w/ Full Updates & Reboot, Regressed to Kernel 5.11 & Reboot: nvidia-340 produces the following error:
pk-client-error-quark: Error while installing package: installed nvidia-340 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 10 (313)
Restoring back to Fresh Install w/ Full Updates & Reboot (Kernel 5.4), this is my inxi -Fxxxrz output:

System:
  Kernel: 5.4.0-94-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0
  Desktop: Cinnamon 5.2.7 wm: muffin 5.2.0 dm: LightDM 1.30.0
  Distro: Linux Mint 20.3 Una base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: HP product: HP Desktop M01-F0xxx v: N/A
  serial: <filter> Chassis: type: 3 serial: <filter>
  Mobo: HP model: 8643 v: SMVB serial: <filter> UEFI: AMI v: F.23
  date: 07/07/2020
CPU:
  Topology: Quad Core model: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with Radeon Vega Graphics
  bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Zen+ rev: 1 L2 cache: 2048 KiB
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm
  bogomips: 28745
  Speed: 1349 MHz min/max: 1400/3600 MHz boost: enabled Core speeds (MHz):
  1: 1258 2: 1259 3: 1264 4: 1258
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 730] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nouveau
  v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:1287
  Device-2: AMD Picasso vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: amdgpu v: kernel
  bus ID: 08:00.0 chip ID: 1002:15d8
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: amdgpu,ati,modesetting
  unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics (RAVEN DRM 3.35.0
  5.4.0-94-generic LLVM 12.0.0)
  v: 4.6 Mesa 21.0.3 direct render: Yes
Audio:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GK208 HDMI/DP Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel
  v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 chip ID: 10de:0e0f
  Device-2: AMD Raven/Raven2/Fenghuang HDMI/DP Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
  v: kernel bus ID: 08:00.1 chip ID: 1002:15de
  Device-3: AMD Family 17h HD Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 08:00.6 chip ID: 1022:15e3
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-94-generic
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
  vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: N/A port: d000 bus ID: 05:00.0
  chip ID: 10ec:c821
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
  vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: r8169 v: kernel port: c000 bus ID: 06:00.0
  chip ID: 10ec:8168
  IF: enp6s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 238.47 GiB used: 35.78 GiB (15.0%)
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: SK Hynix model: BC511 HFM256GDJTNI-82A0A
  size: 238.47 GiB speed: 31.6 Gb/s lanes: 4 serial: <filter> rev: HPS0
  scheme: GPT
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 233.24 GiB used: 17.89 GiB (7.7%) fs: ext4
  dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 40.4 C mobo: N/A
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
  GPU: device: nouveau temp: 30 C device: amdgpu temp: 40 C
Repos:
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
  1: deb http://packages.linuxmint.com una main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main
  2: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
  3: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
  4: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
  5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
  6: deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
Info:
  Processes: 233 Uptime: 1m Memory: 5.77 GiB used: 783.0 MiB (13.3%)
  Init: systemd v: 245 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 alt: 9 Shell: bash
  v: 5.0.17 running in: gnome-terminal inxi: 3.0.38
NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 730
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Omnizoa wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:01 amMy install of Mint comes with 5.4 by default, so you mean I need to downgrade to 5.11? Is that really necessary?
The higher the number after the decimal point, the newer the kernel series. 11 > 4 which translates to 5.11 being newer than 5.4. That is why I called it an upgrade.
Omnizoa wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:44 amFresh Install w/ Full Updates & Reboot, Regressed to Kernel 5.11 & Reboot: nvidia-driver-470 (recommended) crashes Driver Manager
So you have a fresh install with the 5.11 kernel and you open Driver Manager.
I presume Driver Manager indicates you have the xorg-nouveau driver installed.
You select the Nvidia-470 and click the install button.
And then Driver Manager does what? Error message on the screen? Does nothing? What does "crashes Driver Manager" mean specifically?

People use the term "crash" to mean different things and I am not there to see what is happening which is why I am asking. I need to have an idea of why the driver is not installing so I can help you get it installed.

The data you have posted indicates your system has dual graphics (onboard AMD and a separate Nvidia GPU). Both GPUs have drivers loaded, but the AMD is currently the primary renderer.

Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 730] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nouveau
v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 10de:1287
bus ID: 08:00.0 chip ID: 1002:15d8
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: amdgpu,ati,modesetting
unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics (RAVEN DRM 3.35.0
5.4.0-94-generic LLVM 12.0.0)
Omnizoa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Omnizoa »

SMG wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:23 pmThe higher the number after the decimal point, the newer the kernel series. 11 > 4 which translates to 5.11 being newer than 5.4. That is why I called it an upgrade.
That is... baffling. Not the least of which because a lot of these updates, including Kernel 5.11, predate 20.3's release.
So you have a fresh install with the 5.11 kernel and you open Driver Manager.
I presume Driver Manager indicates you have the xorg-nouveau driver installed.
You select the Nvidia-470 and click the install button.
And then Driver Manager does what? Error message on the screen? Does nothing? What does "crashes Driver Manager" mean specifically?
I mean it shows the progress bar to indicate it's installing, and before it finishes, Driver Manager closes. Then I get the dpkg/packagekitd error I described if I attempt to apt install anything via the Terminal, and the Shutdown/Restart GUI breaks, also as I described.
NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 730
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Omnizoa wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:01 amI haven't attempted this because I haven't had an external harddrive to use for dedicated backups, but now that I look it I find it's not even a complete backup utility and that's kind of disappointing.
Timeshift is not supposed to be a complete backup utility. It is analogous to the system restore function in Windows. Timeshift, when using the defaults, will restore your system files leaving your personal files untouched. You do not want to be overwriting your personal files from a week ago if that is when you took the last snapshot.
Omnizoa wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:27 am
SMG wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:23 pmThe higher the number after the decimal point, the newer the kernel series. 11 > 4 which translates to 5.11 being newer than 5.4. That is why I called it an upgrade.
That is... baffling. Not the least of which because a lot of these updates, including Kernel 5.11, predate 20.3's release.
It appears you have assumptions about the latest version of Linux Mint which are misleading your understanding of the situation. LM20.3 is based on Ubuntu 20.04 which has the 5.4 LTS kernel.

Because the 5.4 LTS kernel was released so long ago, there are many computers with newer hardware that need drivers which are not in the 5.4 LTS kernel. Canonical (Ubuntu) releases what are referred to as short-term hardware-enablement (hwe) kernels to bridge the gap between the 5.4 LTS kernel and whatever kernel version in the future will be the next LTS kernel maintained by Canonical. That next LTS kernel will likely be the LTS kernel used in LM21. The hwe kernels have a short (~9 month) lifespan before they stop being supported.

To help bridge the gap from one LTS kernel to the next LTS kernel, Linux Mint is releasing versions of Linux Mint Cinnamon with what are referred to as Edge ISOs. They are ISOs which contain the hwe kernels. In version LM20.1 the Edge ISO had the 5.8 kernel. For version LM20.2 the Edge ISO had the 5.11 kernel. The upcoming LM20.3 Edge ISO will have the 5.13 kernel.

The 5.8 kernel reached end-of-life last August. The 5.11 kernel stops receiving support in February. The 5.13 kernel will receive support until August 2022. The 5.4 LTS kernel will receive support until April 2025.

Most people do not need the Edge ISO, but those hwe kernels (should they want to try them) are available in Update Manager. Those using MATE or Xfce will need to update to one of these newer kernels if they have newer hardware because there is no Edge ISO for MATE or Xfce.
Omnizoa wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:27 amI mean it shows the progress bar to indicate it's installing, and before it finishes, Driver Manager closes. Then I get the dpkg/packagekitd error I described if I attempt to apt install anything via the Terminal
Which indicates you are getting the message because the update/change has not yet completed even though Driver Manager was no longer open. Have you tried giving it some time to complete before forcing the kill on the operation?
Omnizoa wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:27 am and the Shutdown/Restart GUI breaks, also as I described.
That is to be expected if you have forced a restart with some, but not all, of the graphics driver files installed.

I'm now going to return to your original post and add some comments which I hope will help.
Omnizoa wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:09 pmI do run the 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' command, it appears as though it's uninstalling the Nvidia driver. It says "Your system has UEFI Secure Boot enabled.", prompts me for a password, says it's setting up a bunch of lib packages and resolves. If I reopen Driver Manager it says that I have nvidia-driver-470 selected. If I run Update Manager and Restart at this point, Driver Manager still shows it as my installed driver.
That is a good thing. That indicates all the driver files did install.
Omnizoa wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:09 pmIf I open NVIDIA X Server Settings at this point I get only a blank window with "Help" and "Quit" buttons.
That happens when the Nvidia driver is not loaded. Just because the files are installed does NOT mean they automatically load at boot time. There are several reasons they may not load. In this situation, it sounds like your dual-graphics laptop is set up to be running only with the onboard AMD graphics. That is called AMD-Powersave mode and the power-savings is accomplished by not loading the Nvidia driver files. That is done on purpose and is not a problem.

You will need to look for the little nvidia-prime-applet icon in the lower right of your computer (probably showing an AMD logo at this point). Once you find it, change the setting from AMD-Powersave mode to On-Demand mode and reboot the computer. Presuming you have the Secure Boot keys set up properly, that reboot will load the Nvidia driver files so you have both AMD and Nvidia loaded to run on your laptop.

You can verify that is the case by running inxi -Gx and checking to make sure the display line has the three drivers I have listed below. (They might be in a different order; the order does not matter.)
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: amdgpu,ati,nvidia

It is at that point you know you have successfully installed the Nvidia driver and you can take a Timeshift snapshot and move on to the step of installing Davinci Resolve.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written or anything you notice while executing those steps, let us know. Sometimes Secure Boot can cause issues which prevent the Nvidia driver from loading at boot time. If the inxi -Gx does not show the Nvidia driver loaded, then setting up the keys for Secure Boot (or getting it disabled) will probably be the next step.
Omnizoa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Omnizoa »

Because the 5.4 LTS kernel was released so long ago, there are many computers with newer hardware that need drivers which are not in the 5.4 LTS kernel. Canonical (Ubuntu) releases what are referred to as short-term hardware-enablement (hwe) kernels to bridge the gap between the 5.4 LTS kernel and whatever kernel version in the future will be the next LTS kernel maintained by Canonical. That next LTS kernel will likely be the LTS kernel used in LM21. The hwe kernels have a short (~9 month) lifespan before they stop being supported.
I did not know most of that.
Which indicates you are getting the message because the update/change has not yet completed even though Driver Manager was no longer open. Have you tried giving it some time to complete before forcing the kill on the operation?
How do I know when it's complete? Driver Manager's closed and when I reopen it it shows 470 as my selected driver, and I still have the weird process and shutdown/restart error.
it sounds like your dual-graphics laptop is set up to be running only with the onboard AMD graphics. That is called AMD-Powersave mode and the power-savings is accomplished by not loading the Nvidia driver files. That is done on purpose and is not a problem.
Well for something that's "not a problem", it's clearly inhibiting me and not exactly offered me any sort of explanation or otherwise apparent workaround. This is the first time I'm hearing this is even a thing and I kind of wish I didn't have to open a forum thread to learn about it on what is supposedly a "beginner distro".
You will need to look for the little nvidia-prime-applet icon in the lower right of your computer (probably showing an AMD logo at this point).
Okay, I've restored back to 5.11 and attempted to install 470. It reads "Applying Changes" and the progress bar gets to about 60% then crashes Driver Manager.

I gave it 10 minutes to idle and attempted to apt install htop but I still get the packagekitd error. I kill it, reboot, attempt again and it says I need to run the 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' command. I do, it says I have Secure Boot enabled again, prompts me for password and resolves. I see I have an Nvidia applet in the corner (there wasn't any applet before, even for AMD) and I reboot again to see if it's still there after the dpkg thing.

It is still there, and says "Switch to: AMD (Power Saving Mode)" and "Switch to: NVIDIA On-Demand".
You will need to look for the little nvidia-prime-applet icon in the lower right of your computer (probably showing an AMD logo at this point). Once you find it, change the setting from AMD-Powersave mode to On-Demand mode and reboot the computer. Presuming you have the Secure Boot keys set up properly, that reboot will load the Nvidia driver files so you have both AMD and Nvidia loaded to run on your laptop.
I don't know anything about Secure Boot or "MOK" keys, which I assume is what you're talking about. I select NVIDIA On-Demand and reboot.

The applet has changed to an AMD logo with the same menu. I double check Driver Manager and it shows I have nvidia-driver-470 selected.
You can verify that is the case by running inxi -Gx and checking to make sure the display line has the three drivers I have listed below.
For me it says:

Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: amdgpu, ati
If the inxi -Gx does not show the Nvidia driver loaded, then setting up the keys for Secure Boot (or getting it disabled) will probably be the next step.
I don't know anything about that apart from the instructions from 2014 you told me not to follow.
NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 730
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Omnizoa wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:04 pmFor me it says:

Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: amdgpu, ati
If the inxi -Gx does not show the Nvidia driver loaded, then setting up the keys for Secure Boot (or getting it disabled) will probably be the next step.
I don't know anything about that apart from the instructions from 2014 you told me not to follow.
If you supply the entire inxi -Gx I expect that it still indicates N/A for the Nvidia driver which means the driver is not loaded.

The issue has nothing to do with instructions from 2014 because we are not at the point of considering installing Davinci Resolve. We have to get the Nvidia drivers loaded before you can use Davinci Resolve.

Secure Boot is functionality installed by the manufacturer. There is no standard way of implementing it so I can only make guesses as to how it is being handled on your computer. Secure Boot is not part of the operating system. It is part of the firmware (BIOS/UEFI). The easiest way to resolve this issue is to disable that setting.

I found a link HP Desktop PC M01-F0000i - Manuals which has a link for a BIOS simulator, but it's giving me an "Oops! We can't find that page." so I can not tell you the steps to disable it. Because you have a serial number for your computer, you may be able to access the information to find out where you can disable it. There might also be information on the HP community forum about it.

You can run the following command to see the Nvidia modules are installed on your system dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia. It's now a matter of getting them to load at boot time. Because they are considered third-party drivers, they have to, in essence, get special permission from Secure Boot in order to load at boot time. If you can disable Secure Boot then that will not be needed and the Nvidia driver modules can load.
Omnizoa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Omnizoa »

SMG wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:26 pmIf you supply the entire inxi -Gx I expect that it still indicates N/A for the Nvidia driver which means the driver is not loaded.
That is correct.
The issue has nothing to do with instructions from 2014 because we are not at the point of considering installing Davinci Resolve.
Well, those instructions include how to generate module signing keys for my Nvidia driver without disabling Secure Boot. And for lack of any other credible source of instruction, they're all I have to go off of.

Having said that, I've gone back through the process with a fresh install and saved Timeshift Snapshots of every major step (and reboot). I'm running 5.13 now, and I've created a bash script to sign all 5 nvidia kernel modules the 470.86 driver installs. All I have to do (supposedly) is to reboot, select 'Enroll MOK', select 'continue', and select 'YES'.

But now it's prompting me for a password and it's neither my login password nor the password I set at the 'Configure Secure Boot' step of the install process, so what password do I need? Is there a second Secure Boot password to be set and reset?
NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 730
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Omnizoa wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:08 am
The issue has nothing to do with instructions from 2014 because we are not at the point of considering installing Davinci Resolve.
Well, those instructions include how to generate module signing keys for my Nvidia driver without disabling Secure Boot. And for lack of any other credible source of instruction, they're all I have to go off of.
The way you wrote your initial post, I understood that link to be a second set of instructions for installing Davinci Resolve and did not check the link because you said it was from 2014. I apologize for not checking it earlier. The link has nothing to do with Davinci Resolve. I am very familiar with that post. While it was originally started in 2014, it has been continuously updated through present time.

As I have already mentioned, Secure Boot is not part of the operating system and is handled differently by different manufacturers. While some people have been able to successfully use the information regarding creating the keys, the last person to whom I passed along the instructions was not able to get keys to work, but that person was able to disable Secure Boot on their computer to get the Nvidia drivers to load. That is why I recommended disabling Secure Boot and did not pass along the info on what part of that "post from 2014" discusses creating keys.
Omnizoa wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:08 amHaving said that, I've gone back through the process with a fresh install and saved Timeshift Snapshots of every major step (and reboot). I'm running 5.13 now, and I've created a bash script to sign all 5 nvidia kernel modules the 470.86 driver installs. All I have to do (supposedly) is to reboot, select 'Enroll MOK', select 'continue', and select 'YES'.

But now it's prompting me for a password and it's neither my login password nor the password I set at the 'Configure Secure Boot' step of the install process, so what password do I need? Is there a second Secure Boot password to be set and reset?
Might there be a passwords on your BIOS/UEFI access? I have no other guesses as to what that password prompt might be. Maybe there will be information available somewhere in HP documentation.

Can you take a screenshot or photo of this prompt? Maybe someone will recognize it and be able to help.
Omnizoa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Omnizoa »

SMG wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:45 amWhile it was originally started in 2014, it has been continuously updated through present time.
Yes, that is what I said.
Can you take a screenshot or photo of this prompt? Maybe someone will recognize it and be able to help.
Nevermind, I figured it out. Secure Boot doesn't recognize my Dvorak keyboard layout, so I typed the password in QWERTY and it worked fine. I selected 'Switch to: NVIDIA On-Demand' from the applet menu, restarted, and inxi -Gx now says:

Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 730] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nvidia 
  v: 470.86 bus ID: 01:00.0 
  bus ID: 08:00.0 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics (RAVEN DRM 3.41.0 
  5.13.0-25-generic LLVM 12.0.0) 
The 2014 thread also states I can run hexdump -Cv /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/char/drm/nvidia.ko | tail -n 5 and look for ~Module signature appended~ for confirmation and I do. So hopefully I got the driver correctly installed.

So I've installed the MakeResolveDeb version of Davinci Resolve 17 aaaaand it's not launching now. The cursor spins for a bit but no windows appear. It would launch before and show me the "Unsupported GPU Processing Mode" prompt and even bring me to the config menu, but nothing's appearing here. I don't know how to look for logs or exit error codes for this sort of thing.

EDIT: I also don't know if the MOK.priv and MOK.der files I generated need to be moved somewhere specific.
NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 730
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Omnizoa wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:52 am I selected 'Switch to: NVIDIA On-Demand' from the applet menu, restarted, and inxi -Gx now says:

Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 730] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nvidia 
  v: 470.86 bus ID: 01:00.0 
  bus ID: 08:00.0 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics (RAVEN DRM 3.41.0 
  5.13.0-25-generic LLVM 12.0.0) 
The 2014 thread also states I can run hexdump -Cv /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/char/drm/nvidia.ko | tail -n 5 and look for ~Module signature appended~ for confirmation and I do. So hopefully I got the driver correctly installed.
That all looks to me like the driver is installed like you want it to be. Because that looks good, I would presume there is no need to move the MOK.priv and MOK.der files. The Nvidia driver would not have loaded at all if the keys did not match.

One thing to keep in mind is the keys you created are for the specific matched set between the Nvidia driver version you have installed and the kernel version installed. If either is changed (kernel updates come through approximately every 4-6 weeks, Nvidia driver updates come periodically), new keys will need to be made because the pairing would be different. So if you run into any errors in the future, that could be a reason.

I presume you took a Timeshift snapshot at this stage before moving on to the Davinci Resolve step of the process.
Omnizoa wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:52 am So I've installed the MakeResolveDeb version of Davinci Resolve 17 aaaaand it's not launching now. The cursor spins for a bit but no windows appear. It would launch before and show me the "Unsupported GPU Processing Mode" prompt and even bring me to the config menu, but nothing's appearing here. I don't know how to look for logs or exit error codes for this sort of thing.
The other Davinci Resolve topic I referenced earlier used slightly different installation instructions. I presume you followed the link you provided earlier so my question below relates to what I'm reading in that link.

Looking at the instructions I see they mention running:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver nvidia-opencl-icd libcuda1 libglu1-mesa
Is that what you ran? I would have though you would not need the nvidia-driver portion of that command because you already had the driver installed. I don't recall that portion of the command being in the other Davinci Resolve instructions I read for the other topic, but I will not have time until later today/tonight to check.

I would suggest running dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia and seeing if there appears to be more than one driver version installed. That's just a guess on my part based on a first pass read-through of the Daniel Tufvesson link.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Apparently, I had not listed all the links I referenced while helping in the other topic because there is one set of install instructions I recall reading that I am not finding in that thread.

There are two installation links in the thread. One is the Daniel Tufvesson and the other is Linuxslaves: Install Davinci Resolve 17 Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Debian, and Its Based Distros . Comparing the two, the Tufvesson page mention specific nvidia files to install while the Linuxslaves does not.

I did find this Install DaVinci Resolve 17 On Debian & Ubuntu which has a similar line to the one I referenced in my prior post,
sudo apt install nvidia-driver nvidia-opencl-icd libcuda1 libnvidia-encode1
and it indicates that is installing the nvidia driver as well as the other packages. You already had the driver installed, so that command may have messed some with the driver install? Not sure.

There is an ArchWiki: DaVinci Resolve link in the other topic and I see in the Troubleshooting section it mentions where the logs are located, "DaVinci Resolve creates log file '$HOME/.local/share/DaVinciResolve/logs/ResolveDebug.txt' at every launch."
shockedquartz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by shockedquartz »

I ran into this when I first started with Mint. I ended up purging every nvidia driver and software and manually installing 390 on the command line. I never used the graphics driver applet again. I've stayed with 390. Trying the other [newer] drivers caused the same problems you saw.

dkms/lspic
NVIDIA Corporation GM206 [GeForce GTX 950] (rev a1)
nvidia, 390.144, 5.4.0-94-generic, x86_64: installed
Omnizoa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Omnizoa »

SMG wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:18 pmOne thing to keep in mind is the keys you created are for the specific matched set between the Nvidia driver version you have installed and the kernel version installed. If either is changed (kernel updates come through approximately every 4-6 weeks, Nvidia driver updates come periodically), new keys will need to be made because the pairing would be different. So if you run into any errors in the future, that could be a reason.
I'm aware of that.
I presume you took a Timeshift snapshot at this stage before moving on to the Davinci Resolve step of the process.
Yes.
Looking at the instructions I see they mention running:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver nvidia-opencl-icd libcuda1 libglu1-mesa
Is that what you ran?
I tried installing those, but they either said they had no installation candidate or were virtual packages provided by libnvidia-compute-470 which I appear to already have.
I would suggest running dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia and seeing if there appears to be more than one driver version installed.
Nope, everything appears to be generic or 470 related.
libnvidia-encode1
"Unable to locate package."
You already had the driver installed, so that command may have messed some with the driver install? Not sure.
Again, none were able to be installed, so I don't think it had any effect.
libssl1.1 ocl-icd-opencl-dev
I also got the "could not find any package named" error in response to the above packages cited in that extra article you linked.
DaVinci Resolve creates log file '$HOME/.local/share/DaVinciResolve/logs/ResolveDebug.txt' at every launch."
Attempting to launch Davinci Resolve does not create anything in this folder. It's empty.
NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 730
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Omnizoa wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:07 pm
DaVinci Resolve creates log file '$HOME/.local/share/DaVinciResolve/logs/ResolveDebug.txt' at every launch."
Attempting to launch Davinci Resolve does not create anything in this folder. It's empty.
I checked Blackmagic Requirements and under Logs they mention
If you cannot launch DaVinci Resolve after a crash, please follow the steps below:

Linux:
From the Applications menu, under DaVinci Resolve, select DaVinci Resolve Capture Logs
I do not know that your system crashed, but maybe there is a toggle one has to set to get the logs generated and perhaps doing that will help.
Omnizoa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Omnizoa »

SMG wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:08 pmFrom the Applications menu, under DaVinci Resolve, select DaVinci Resolve Capture Logs
I don't have that in the Applications menu or folder. I read somewhere that you can set this up from within the app but it hardly helps if it won't launch in the first place.
I did try launching Davinci from the Terminal (/opt/resolve/bin/resolve) and I got this though:

ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c005, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c006, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= c007, Mode= 13, Level=  1, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
ActCCMessage Already in Table: Code= 2282, Mode=  0, Level=  0, CmdKey= 8, Option= 0
PnlMsgActionStringAdapter Already in Table: Code= 615e, Mode=  0, Level=  0, CmdKey= -1, Option= 0
17.4.2.0009 Linux/Clang x86_64
Main thread starts: 179016C0
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 730
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Omnizoa wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:05 amI did try launching Davinci from the Terminal (/opt/resolve/bin/resolve) and I got this though:
That's a pretty immediate seg fault.

I did find this post on the BlackMagic forum where the poster indicates:
I'm using Mint 20.2 and nVidia proprietary drivers (470.57.02 - also tried 460.91.03) which always worked fine until now.
Having pocl packages installed, resolve runs into an segmentation fault right after start.
After removing the pocl packages it works again.
They list some outputs which seem to indicate using the OpenCL packages may have been the issue? Not completely sure I'm reading that correctly, so I could be wrong. I am assuming you are using the nvidia version of the opencl so I would not think pocl packages would apply in your case.

I see people mentioning 'gdb tracing' to get more information, but I do not know what that involves.

That topic is 40 pages long. :shock: However, I went back to the first post (by Daniel Tufvesson) which has some helpful links and Troubleshooting Tips.
When Resolve doesn't start
1. Run resolve from a prompt (/opt/resolve/bin/resolve) and check the output for error messages
2. Make sure you have all required libraries installed. Run "ldd /opt/resolve/bin/resolve" and verify that there are no missing libraries (ldd should give no lines with "not found" in them)
3. Log files provide a lot of useful information. Please check for clues. Location differs between Resolve versions.
- Resolve 15 and below: /opt/resolve/logs/
- Resolve 16 and up: ~/.local/share/DaVinciResolve/logs/
4. Post here and provide outputs from the above

Return to “Software & Applications”