back a version or two, we fixed the Scroll Bar width in Firefox, now 20.3 has made it very narrow - [ Solved ]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

back a version or two, we fixed the Scroll Bar width in Firefox, now 20.3 has made it very narrow - [ Solved ]

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have looked at all of the 'net solutions and they are old old old,

like 20 versions of Firefox old....

LM 20.3 is using FF 96 now, so how do I make the Scroll Bar wide enough that I can actually find it?

Code: Select all

System:    Host: FX705 Kernel: 5.4.0-94-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Cinnamon 5.2.7 
           Distro: Linux Mint 20.3 Una 
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Re: back a version or two, we fixed the Scroll Bar width in Firefox, now 20.3 has made it so narrow I can't see it

Post by OunceofCommonSense »

I used this on Mint 19, not sure if it still works, found it on the forum some time ago
You could try creating a file called gtk.css and place it inside the ~/.config/gtk-3.0 folder.

The contents could look like this

Code:

.scrollbar {
-GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: true;
-GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: true;
-GtkRange-slider-width: 14;
-GtkRange-stepper-size: 13;
}

Change the values to something bigger, say 20 or whatever suits you.

Going further you could copy the contents of the /usr/share/themes/Ambiance/gtk-3.0/gtk-widgets.css file to ~/.config/.gtk-3.0/ and play away.

Advanced reply Adv Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote
MB: Gigabyte model: B650M AORUS ELITE AX Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 32.00 GB. CPU Ryzen7600x Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 21.2
ablebaker
Level 3
Level 3

Re: back a version or two, we fixed the Scroll Bar width in Firefox, now 20.3 has made it so narrow I can't see it

Post by ablebaker »

After installing Firefox 96 for Linux Mint 20.3 today, I noticed the previously-set scroll bar width had been replaced by one with a very narrow (default?) setting. To get the preferred width back, I entered

about:config
in the URL address window to go to the search bar of Firefox. Then, entered

widget.non-native-theme.scrollbar.size
in that search field. The result shows two items that can be edited:

and

widget.non-native-theme.scrollbar.size.override
I changed the "override" setting to match what I had previously set for the other widget and hit Enter to save the changes. I relaunched Firefox and the wider scroll bars were back.

HTH
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

ablebaker wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:59 pm After installing Firefox 96 for Linux Mint 20.3 today, I noticed the previously-set scroll bar width had been replaced by one with a very narrow (default?) setting. To get the preferred width back, I entered

and

I changed the "override" setting to match what I had previously set for the other widget and hit Enter to save the changes. I relaunched Firefox and the wider scroll bars were back.

HTH
that, did the Trick !!!!!!!!!

Many Thanks,
this goes into my how to Install book :mrgreen:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: back a version or two, we fixed the Scroll Bar width in Firefox, now 20.3 has made it svery narrow - [ Solved ]

Post by sleeper12 »

That works on Mint 19.3 too, at least for me it did on Xfce.
Raycoupe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Raycoupe »

ablebaker wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:59 pm After installing Firefox 96 for Linux Mint 20.3 today, I noticed the previously-set scroll bar width had been replaced by one with a very narrow (default?) setting. To get the preferred width back, I entered

and

HTH
Same problem here, changed this setting to 1 and my sidebar is completely gone. So it's not a 0 or 1 value but the actual scrollbar width in pixels I guess. Changing it to 40 does the trick. I hope Linux Mint will someday make a setting for scrollbars width system wide, since the standard tiny sizes are not very handy when you're over 40 years old or do not have perfect vision.
Hardware, operating systems, software and networking are are nothing else than necessary, cumbersome and easily replaceable evils to store and provide data. Triple backup your data at least, twice on-site, and another copy off-site.
jryodamin
Level 1
Level 1

Re: back a version or two, we fixed the Scroll Bar width in Firefox, now 20.3 has made it svery narrow - [ Solved ]

Post by jryodamin »

Firefox 98

All I did was change: widget.non-native-theme.scrollbar.size.override

from 0 to 40 - at that worked just fine.

Increased to 50 because I am old with bad eyes

I am unsure what this does as I never touched it: widget.non-native-theme.scrollbar.size
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Re: back a version or two, we fixed the Scroll Bar width in Firefox, now 20.3 has made it very narrow - [ Solved ]

Post by AZgl1800 »

I noticed that my 'fangers' misspelled the Title words, so I fixed that just now.

Happy to note that FF 100.x has not mangled up my Personal Settings

the Scroll Bar is still nice and FAT on my 17" laptop screen.....
so many apps do NOT adjust to the wider laptop screens or Desktop Monitors.....

My Desktop has a 30 inch monitor on it, aggravating when apps will not let you adjust to fit the screen, so it is usable from 3 feet back ..... :x

this is my laptop with FF 100.x

SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: back a version or two, we fixed the Scroll Bar width in Firefox, now 20.3 has made it very narrow - [ Solved ]

Post by SMG »

AZgl1800 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:59 pmHappy to note that FF 100.x has not mangled up my Personal Settings

the Scroll Bar is still nice and FAT on my 17" laptop screen.....
However, FF 100 did make a change to scrollbars on Linux.
Scrollbars on Linux and Windows 11 won't take space by default. On Linux, users can change this in Settings. On Windows, Firefox follows the system setting (System Settings > Accessibility > Visual Effects > Always show scrollbars).
I had to find and change the setting because mine became very, very thin. The setting is on the General page under Browsing (Always show scrollbars.)
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Venus Flytrap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Venus Flytrap »

Thank you, SMG, for the tip on using the Settings page to update the "always show scrollbars" feature. That did the trick for me. Indeed this settings change is seemingly a new option since Firefox version 100 rolled out.
System: Mint Cinnamon 21.1. CPU: Intel E7600. RAM: 4GB. Video: ATI HD 4830. SSD: Kingston KC600 512GB (boot-drive) & Kingston A400, 480GB (backup). Display: ASUS VA24DQ 23.8"
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Venus Flytrap wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:22 pm Thank you, SMG, for the tip on using the Settings page to update the "always show scrollbars" feature. That did the trick for me. Indeed this settings change is seemingly a new option since Firefox version 100 rolled out.
??

I set FF Scroll Bar width in vs 91.x and it has stayed the same thru 100.x
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

AZgl1800 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:21 pm
Venus Flytrap wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:22 pm Thank you, SMG, for the tip on using the Settings page to update the "always show scrollbars" feature. That did the trick for me. Indeed this settings change is seemingly a new option since Firefox version 100 rolled out.
??

I set FF Scroll Bar width in vs 91.x and it has stayed the same thru 100.x
Firefox made a change to scrollbars in FF for Linux-based distros in 100.x.

Apparently, whatever you did to over-ride what had been done in the past is still over-riding the current FF settings. Those of us, who did not over-ride the settings with the change you used, saw the scrollbar change FF made in version 100. There is now a new setting under Browsing related to scrollbars.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Software & Applications”