[Solved] a good installation guide for Wine in Linux Mint 20.3

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ronald1969
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] a good installation guide for Wine in Linux Mint 20.3

Post by Ronald1969 »

dear people,

Several years ago I experimented with Linux distroes. Long time ago I was succesfull with Mandrake 10. It was befor it became Mandriva. That was in 2004. But I had other hardware then. After failed attempts with openSuse I stopped experimenting with Linux. But since the coming of Windows 11 I feel forced to buy new hardware cause of a lacking TPM, while my 4th gen core 7 has the same performance as an 8th gen, It is all 4 cores, 8 mb cache and the same chipset. I refuse to buy new hardware. So I was in search for a new but fitting Linux distro for myself and my PC.

Well. Linux Mint is a succes for me. Most games in Steam are working fine, except for Fritz chessbase 15, Elder Scrols Online, 3Dx Chat and GTA5. That is why I have decreased my hard disk at the windows side and increased my ext4 paertition for Linux Mint. But I want to play ALL games on Linux, including the 4 I just named. Especially Elder Scrols Online. I want to make windows obsolete. Elder Scorls Online, 3D x chat and GTA5 arent installed in Steam, and I do not want to pay for it a second time. It also has to work without steam.

I installed the Ubuntu wine.. but wine config isnt very succesfull.. it misses something. Can someone help me making the remaining four games working in Linux Mint ? then I can delete windows for ever. Windows !! What;s that ? lol
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ronald1969
Level 2
Level 2

I want 4 remaining windows games work in Linux Mint

Post by Ronald1969 »

dear people,

Several years ago I experimented with Linux distroes. Long time ago I was succesfull with Mandrake 10. It was befor it became Mandriva. That was in 2004. But I had other hardware then. After failed attempts with openSuse I stopped experimenting with Linux. But since the coming of Windows 11 I feel forced to buy new hardware cause of a lacking TPM, while my 4th gen core 7 has the same performance as an 8th gen, It is all 4 cores, 8 mb cache and the same chipset. I refuse to buy new hardware. So I was in search for a new but fitting Linux distro for myself and my PC.

Well. Linux Mint is a succes for me. Most games in Steam are working fine, except for Fritz chessbase 15, Elder Scrols Online, 3Dx Chat and GTA5. That is why I have decreased my hard disk at the windows side and increased my ext4 paertition for Linux Mint. But I want to play ALL games on Linux, including the 4 I just named. Especially Elder Scrols Online. I want to make windows obsolete. Elder Scorls Online, 3D x chat and GTA5 arent installed in Steam, and I do not want to pay for it a second time. It also has to work without steam.

I installed the Ubuntu wine.. but wine config isnt very succesfull.. it misses something. Can someone help me making the remaining four games working in Linux Mint ? then I can delete windows for ever. Windows !! What;s that ? lol
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: a good installation guide for Wine in Linux Mint 20.3

Post by spamegg »

You should keep Windows for your gaming, don't delete it. If you want to game, Windows will never be "obsolete" for you.

Generally speaking, not all games will work on Linux, and it's not really a matter of "getting the right configuration". I don't think we, or you, can do something better than Steam's Proton engineers can. Steam games do not use your system-installation of Wine anyway. They all have their own localized individual custom Proton versions. So installing Wine and configuring it is not relevant to Steam.

For some games we have to throw our hands in the air. The games are simply not made to run on Linux, and while Steam's Proton compatibility has come quite far, we always have to remember that they are basically attempting the impossible. Even games that are rated "Gold" on ProtonDB are not really guaranteed to work. So you have to adjust your expectations. Some games may NEVER work, ever.

Here are the ProtonDB reports for those 4 games (I could not find "3Dx chat"):
https://www.protondb.com/app/427480
https://www.protondb.com/app/306130
https://www.protondb.com/app/271590

The chess game does not have any reports, the other two are "Gold" but all you can do is look at others who had problems and try their fixes.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: I want 4 remaining windows games work in Linux Mint

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: Duplicate topics (only the name of the topic was different) have been merged. Please create only one topic for an issue.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Ronald1969
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ronald1969 »

ok.. but when I google Elder Scrols Online on Linux Mint then there IS a way to make it working on Linux. But when I do exactly the same as typed there. Then Linux Mint always misses something or doesnt compile litterly everything, cause there is apparantly a little difference between Mint and Ubuntu. The same for origin. Is it possible to make my origin games or Elder Scrols Online working in Linux Mint 20.3
Ronald1969
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ronald1969 »

SMG wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:22 am Moderator note: Duplicate topics (only the name of the topic was different) have been merged. Please create only one topic for an issue.
thats ok. I just renamed the title of the topic, cause .. I dont care about the way making gaming possible in Linux... it doesnt have to be by wine, so I changed title.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Ronald1969 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:31 am
SMG wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:22 am Moderator note: Duplicate topics (only the name of the topic was different) have been merged. Please create only one topic for an issue.
thats ok. I just renamed the title of the topic, cause .. I dont care about the way making gaming possible in Linux... it doesnt have to be by wine, so I changed title.
You can edit the title of a post by clicking the pencil icon in the upper right corner and then just changing the Subject line and clicking the Submit button. There is no need to create an entirely new post/topic just to change the title.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
sarge816
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sarge816 »

spamegg wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:17 am You should keep Windows for your gaming, don't delete it. If you want to game, Windows will never be "obsolete" for you.

Some games may NEVER work, ever.
This, exactly. After many years of gaming in Linux, I finally gave up and just resigned myself to dual-boot. Forever. It just got really tiresome tracking down which game worked best with which version of WINE, if at all. And forget games like Wow, especially after they integrated Battle Net. I can't tell you how many times back in the day a Tuesday update would completely fubar the entire game, again. Each game had it's challenge and it's implementation, but almost none of them ever ran as good as doing it natively in Windows, where they were designed to run.

So, learn to dual boot and learn to love it. Or, if you enjoy the challenge, go for it and piddle away in Linux. Just realize you are doomed to ultimate failure in some titles.
Ronald1969
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ronald1969 »

SMG wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:27 am
Ronald1969 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:31 am
You can edit the title of a post by clicking the pencil icon in the upper right corner and then just changing the Subject line and clicking the Submit button. There is no need to create an entirely new post/topic just to change the title.
I did that exactly the way you describe here. The post copied itself by that
Ronald1969
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ronald1969 »

sarge816 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:39 am
spamegg wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:17 am You should keep Windows for your gaming, don't delete it. If you want to game, Windows will never be "obsolete" for you.

This, exactly. After many years of gaming in Linux, I finally gave up and just resigned myself to dual-boot. Forever. It just got really tiresome tracking down which game worked best with which version of WINE, if at all. And forget games like Wow, especially after they integrated Battle Net. I can't tell you how many times back in the day a Tuesday update would completely fubar the entire game, again. Each game had it's challenge and it's implementation, but almost none of them ever ran as good as doing it natively in Windows, where they were designed to run.

So, learn to dual boot and learn to love it. Or, if you enjoy the challenge, go for it and piddle away in Linux. Just realize you are doomed to ultimate failure in some titles.
I simply REFUSE to buy new hardware cause of a missing TPM in my Bios. My 4th gen core 7 functions the same way like an 8th gen. But by windows 11 Microsoft try to force me. So I need an adequate OS when support for windows 10 stops. I hope I have learned wine and VM well enough by then. I havent played Wow since more then a year now. I love Elder Scrols online dearly. If someone can help me playing that in Linux Mint ??? I havent installed ESO in Steam.
sarge816
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sarge816 »

Ronald1969 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:12 pm
sarge816 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:39 am

I simply REFUSE to buy new hardware cause of a missing TPM in my Bios. My 4th gen core 7 functions the same way like an 8th gen. But by windows 11 Microsoft try to force me. So I need an adequate OS when support for windows 10 stops. I hope I have learned wine and VM well enough by then. I havent played Wow since more then a year now. I love Elder Scrols online dearly. If someone can help me playing that in Linux Mint ??? I havent installed ESO in Steam.
Why use Windows 11? If all you are after is running 4 games, use the (oldest) version of Windows that supports them the best. I do not plan on integrating to Win11 either for exactly the reason you cited - Windows 10 (or even 7) might be enough to satisfy what you are trying to accomplish. I've got Win10 32bit running on an old Dell netbook from 2008, so you should be covered. Do all your online internet activity and stuff on Linux, run your games (online and off) in Windows. Just because "support" is no longer available for a version of Windows doesn't mean it isn't going to run just fine into perpetuity.

Edit: Btw: https://www.tomsguide.com/news/windows- ... workaround There are plenty of other articles online that show that you can install Win11 on older hardware if you insist on using it.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

spamegg wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:17 am You should keep Windows for your gaming, don't delete it. If you want to game, Windows will never be "obsolete" for you....
+1. Gaming in Linux will never be as good as Windows.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

M$ want you on Windows 11 because they have to sell upgrades the same as Apple make you buy a new phone each year. There are people still running XP because their machine is not connected to the Internet. Keep 10 or upgrade to 7. Switch off network access. As mentioned in another post, download in Linux.

Our last remaining Windows machine is 10 because it arrived that way. All automatic updates are off. Most M$ software is replaced with FOSS. When not in use, we cover it in garlic flowers to stop more evil entering. 8)
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Gaming in Linux will never be as good as Windows.
THE game works better on Linux than it did on Windows. Doom forever!
Ronald1969
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ronald1969 »

Petermint wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:11 pm M$ want you on Windows 11 because they have to sell upgrades the same as Apple make you buy a new phone each year. There are people still running XP because their machine is not connected to the Internet. Keep 10 or upgrade to 7. Switch off network access. As mentioned in another post, download in Linux.

Our last remaining Windows machine is 10 because it arrived that way. All automatic updates are off. Most M$ software is replaced with FOSS. When not in use, we cover it in garlic flowers to stop more evil entering. 8)
Why should I buy new hardware when my 4th gen core 7 performs the same as an 8th gen ? I even have 32 gb ram
Ronald1969
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ronald1969 »

Petermint wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:12 pm
Gaming in Linux will never be as good as Windows.
THE game works better on Linux than it did on Windows. Doom forever!
what game are you talking about ?
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

DOOM 2
My favourite game.
Ronald1969
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ronald1969 »

I want Elders Scrols online running in Linux. It is not installed in steam. That is MY favourite game
Ronald1969
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ronald1969 »

I am born on Tamriel. My father is a Nord en my mother a High Elf. That is why
ShadowSkill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ShadowSkill »

If you have spare GPU & motherboard support, maybe you could try using GPU passthrough in KVM?

Return to “Software & Applications”