Firefox icon reverted back to Mint custom

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nicrobi
Level 1
Level 1

Firefox icon reverted back to Mint custom

Post by nicrobi »

Hi all.

Anyone have any ideas about this? Updating Firefox a few days ago changed the icon to the official Firefox icon (as we all know this happened: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4244). Today I upgraded to LM 20.3 (Cinnamon 64-bit) and my Firefox icon has reverted back to the Mint custom icon of yore.

This is clearly down to the order I did things, but is there anything I can do about it now without reinstalling Firefox? Will the next Firefox update put it right do you think? If anyone has a nice clean, easy way to get the official Firefox icon back I'd be most appreciative :)

Nick
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Firefox icon reverted back to Mint custom

Post by mikeflan »

Hello. Where is that Firefox icon? In the menu or on the desktop?
nicrobi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nicrobi »

Hi mikeflan, thanks for replying.

All icons of every resolution in /usr/share/icons/Mint-Y/apps.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

How you can exchange the icon, forum member sebastjava has described step by step excellently: see viewtopic.php?f=211&t=365713
nicrobi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nicrobi »

Well just an update for those who might be interested. Unfortunately the Firefox 96.0.1 update didn't solve my issue. Neither did marking Firefox for re-installation in Synaptic. I still have the old Mint Firefox icons everywhere.

The plot thickens somewhat as while I was in Synaptic it seems the only icons the Firefox installer creates are in /usr/share/icons/hicolor, so I don't know how it managed to change my Mint-Y theme icons before.

It's looking like the only options left are the ones we used to use in the old days like absque fenestris' suggestion. I'm assuming the Firefox 96 update replaced the old Mint icons in all the themes but now I'm doubting myself.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

In Linux Mint (...and all other Linuxes) I'm at war with some settings and defaults anyway: completely superfluous fonts in masses, applications that are not listed with their original names, nonsensical but long comments and program icons that I have never liked, e.g. those of LibreOffice.

A rainy Sunday afternoon and a few hours of editing in the Start Menu configuration creates pleasing aesthetic changes. In this respect, Firefox's appearance is only one small problem case among many others...

Almost forgotten: of course Firefox must also be regularly redeemed from the stupid Proton worsening... :mrgreen:

Return to “Software & Applications”