Setting a default keyboard language?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Whitefort
Level 2
Level 2

Setting a default keyboard language?

Post by Whitefort »

Hi - this isn't a big issue, but I was wondering if there was an easy solution.

I have Mint 20.3 Cinnamon set up with English as the default language, and two keyboard layouts - English and Irish.

Generally if I'm typing, I want the Irish keyboard, but I don't want to change the interface language to Irish.

It's very easy to switch to the Irish keyboard once I've booted up, but I was just wondering if there's a way to make it the default keyboard, i.e., the one that's 'up' when I boot.

In the keyboard settings, I've already moved Irish about English in the layouts list, but it hasn't changed anything.

As I say, really not a big deal, but thanks in advance if you can help or suggest anything.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
magnus7
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Setting a default keyboard language?

Post by magnus7 »

To change your default layout chosen during installation run this command in terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

You can do as magnus7 indicates and, also, you can remove that English layout if don't use and you want it (Menu>Preferences>Keyboard>Layouts, select English and clic on - button downside to remove) so Irish will be your default keyboard layout on starting user session.
Whitefort wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:19 am Generally if I'm typing, I want the Irish keyboard, but I don't want to change the interface language to Irish.
Keyboard layout and Language (locale) are different things, changing one does not change/afect the other.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
Whitefort
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Whitefort »

I'm grateful for the replies, but I think they might be answering a different question to the one I asked.

Perhaps I wasn't clear, so I'll try again.

In my panel at the bottom of the screen, I have a keyboard icon - on booting up, it shows the UK flag.

By clicking on it, I can then switch it to my other layout - the Irish one - and then it shows an Irish flag.

Is there a way to make the Irish one the default, so that I don't have to keep switching? (I do want to keep the UK one, so deleting it isn't an option)
Nikolai5
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Nikolai5 »

HI, I'm not sure what you're using for your input, but if you right click on that taskbar icon, is there an option to go into "Configuration"?

This is what I use and you can re-arrange this list in whatever order you want and cycle through them with a keyboard shortcut.
Input configuration.png
I'm using the "Fcitx" input method which is set by going into the "Input Method" application. If you aren't using this, maybe its worth trying to see if it functions better for you. In my case, if I were to put Japanese keyboard above the UK one it will automatically use that when I click anywhere I can type. I can then press Ctrl + spacebar to toggle.
paularenson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by paularenson »

Hello. Please see my new post on continuing issues with japanese input as well as keyboard.Moderators asked me to create a new topic but no-one has responded.
Topic is here.

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=370757

Return to “Software & Applications”