Firefox 96 resizes itself after fullscreen/maximizing <SOLVED>

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Regrubmah
Level 1
Level 1

Firefox 96 resizes itself after fullscreen/maximizing <SOLVED>

Post by Regrubmah »

Using Mint 20.1 Cinnamon 64-bit.

I mostly run Firefox windowed in approx. a 4:3 ratio, have the window stretched from the very top of the screen down to the bottom and have the title bar disabled. Since updating to FF96 whenever I maximize then restore down or use fullscreen (either for a video or by pressing f11) and then return to the non-fullscreen view the window resizes and moves itself. It shrinks by about 50px on the top and bottom causing me to have to stretch it back to the previous dimensions and move it to the edge again.

I thought maybe it was some issue with edge-resistance or window tiling/snapping but the issue persists even with those options turned off. I've tried searching for the issue over the last few days but haven't found anyone reporting the same thing. I have found is that the issue goes away if you have the Title Bar enabled in the Customize Firefox page but was hoping there may be a fix to this without having to use the title bar.

Prior to FF96 I had a smaller issue that the window would only move itself slightly after fullscreening/maximizing but now it is also resizing itself each time. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emmalfal
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Firefox 96 resizes itself after fullscreen/maximizing

Post by emmalfal »

I'm experiencing this problem with both Firefox and Chromium. It's better if I disable the system title bar, but that causes problems of its own. Very peculiar. If I minimize Firefox, it shrinks dramatically and jumps over to my second monitor. Same with Chromium.
Regrubmah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Regrubmah »

Well at least I'm not the only one having the issue. I also tried installing Chromium just now and the issue is present there as well, I guess it may be an bug with Cinnamon. Will keep plugging away and see if I can find out more. What kind of GPU are you running if I may ask?
emmalfal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by emmalfal »

I have nothing fancy. Intel© Core™ i3-4160 CPU @ 3.60GHz × 2. That resizing bug is really getting on my nerves. I tend to move windows around a lot so it's a constant aggravation. I saw some other complaints about it two weeks ago, so I keep expecting there will be an update to fix it. I've tried tweaking settings all over the place and haven't conquered it. Let me know if you come up with anything. I'll do the same. Tempted to see if the same issue exists in Brave. UPDATE: Yup. Same in Brave.
Regrubmah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Regrubmah »

Hmm I guess that rules out GPU/driver as the source of the bug since I'm running a 2070 with NVidia's 470.86 driver. Thanks for confirming with Brave, I was just about to try that. I'll be sure to post any updates as I am also sharing in the constant aggravation with resizing and shuffling things around.
emmalfal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by emmalfal »

Found this in a reddit thread: "Looks like this is fixed in 97.0.4692.99 - functionality to move tabs, and also to reattach tabs, has been restored for me in this version." But I'm using version 97.0.4692.71 and haven't seen any updates. Are you using this version as well? There's some chatter about this issue across the web, but not as much as I'd expect. There's a bug report here: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/is ... ndow&can=2
emmalfal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by emmalfal »

Well, huh. In one of those threads, I learned you can move tabs with keyboard shortcuts, which overcomes the problem. -ctrl+shift+pgup/dn to order tabs.
Regrubmah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Regrubmah »

I had only installed Chromium to check for the resizing bug then removed it, but it was the same V97.0.4692.71 from the Software Manager that you're using. I didn't have any issues with tabs, only the window shrinking after maximizing/restore down and full screening when using the programs without a title bar.
emmalfal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by emmalfal »

You don't have the tab moving problem? That's what prompted me to shut off "use system titles and borders," which led to the resizing problem. It's a goofy one. Still no love from updates.
Regrubmah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Regrubmah »

Nope, I just reinstalled, tested and can move tabs without a problem. I was able to find one other person having the resizing issue a few years back but there was no solution in their thread - viewtopic.php?t=270526. The interesting thing is that they were using XFCE for their DE and not Cinnamon so now I'm at a total loss on what could be causing it.
emmalfal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by emmalfal »

I got a Brave update today, but I haven't opened it to see if the problem still exists there. Maybe I'll do that. Keep expecting a Chromium update, too, but naw. I know there's a new version out. Just hasn't come for us yet, I guess.
LittleScriptMan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LittleScriptMan »

Regrubmah wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:43 pm I had only installed Chromium to check for the resizing bug then removed it, but it was the same V97.0.4692.71 from the Software Manager that you're using. I didn't have any issues with tabs, only the window shrinking after maximizing/restore down and full screening when using the programs without a title bar.
There is no bug.
Firefox has imported that behavior from the TOR Browser (which relies on FF ESR).
The idea behind this is to avoid fingerprinting by window size because all Firefox RFP (Resist FingerPrinting) users, even on Windows, will have the same window size patterns on opening and won't become as rare or unique as before.

You can set the window dimensions through the about:config window of FF or modify with user_pref in a user.js file ::

Code: Select all

user_pref("privacy.window.maxInnerWidth", 1600);
user_pref("privacy.window.maxInnerHeight", 900);
(1600 and 900 are examples, enter what you want)

If you are in RFP mode with user_pref("privacy.resistFingerprinting", true); Firefox will however try to provide some protection by rounding to hundreds : a user setting with 1787x812 will be set as 1800x800 to offer less tracking possibilities because he will end having the same window size than the fellow who has 1802x795, 1826x776...
Interests : Firefox, Cinnamon & Bash Scripts
LM Version : LMDE5 (LMDE4 just in case)
emmalfal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by emmalfal »

Hey, thanks for this. Going to dink about with about:config and see if I can get it dialed in. Appreciate it.
Regrubmah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Regrubmah »

Thanks for the reply LittleScriptMan but I'm not sure if this issue is related to the fingerprinting resistance options. I think if it was then this behavior should still be present when title bars are turned on, however turning the title bars back on alleviates the problem. Setting the window dimensions also only seems to apply when one turns on privacy.resistFingerprinting.

Edit: As well with the issue being present in Chromium it makes me more doubtful that it is from fingerprint mitigation.
ultraviolet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ultraviolet »

i'm also getting the same problem, but it should not be mistaken for a window re-size problem, hopefully my badly made screenshot will show that firefox thinks its still full-screen when its actually not

“Your as addicted as I am”
Regrubmah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Regrubmah »

Ultraviolet thanks for the reply. I was having the issue exactly as you described prior to FF96, the window would only shift its placement and the buttons would still function in their previous location. Grabbing the window and moving it around fixed it when it would happen. Since the update to 96 it now shifts and does decrease the window size, the "ghost" buttons are no longer in the corner but function as they should where they are displayed. Strange that you're now having the issue that I use to have.
ultraviolet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ultraviolet »

Regrubmah wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:55 pm Ultraviolet thanks for the reply. I was having the issue exactly as you described prior to FF96, the window would only shift its placement and the buttons would still function in their previous location. Grabbing the window and moving it around fixed it when it would happen. Since the update to 96 it now shifts and does decrease the window size, the "ghost" buttons are no longer in the corner but function as they should where they are displayed. Strange that you're now having the issue that I use to have.
this didn't happen to me when on version 96 but now is happening on 96.0.1
ultraviolet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ultraviolet »

seems like it might be fixed on version 96.0.2

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/9 ... easenotes/
Regrubmah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Regrubmah »

Just applied the 96.0.2 update and sadly it has not fixed the problem :(
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Software & Applications”